Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
you should uh...actually do your quests and become your class before worrying about DPS meters.
Why can't I do both? I'm the most bad ass Archer around! Typically with the exp buff it just so happens that instead of doing the story quest duty I'll keep questing in an area. Done that a few times and it's caused me to be level 40 but at level 21 MSQ. Oh well, as it'll get done.

Cybsled

MSQ doesn't scale, so you can't go to level 1 on a dif class and do a level 50 MSQ, for instance.

And don't worry too much about DPS at low levels. For Stormblood they did a class retool and as a result, the lower levels saw a lot of ability prune and can frequently feel incomplete/not balanced for their level.

Crone

MSQ doesn't scale, so you can't go to level 1 on a dif class and do a level 50 MSQ, for instance.

And don't worry too much about DPS at low levels. For Stormblood they did a class retool and as a result, the lower levels saw a lot of ability prune and can frequently feel incomplete/not balanced for their level.
Good to know. If I remember things from a long time ago, your alt jobs had to be leveled from class quests, hunters logs, and leves. Or just straight grinding.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Good to know. If I remember things from a long time ago, your alt jobs had to be leveled from class quests, hunters logs, and leves. Or just straight grinding.
There were cross class skills before, and you also needed a specific class at 15 to get your job quest at 30, but they removed both of these in stormblood so there's no reason to level any other class if you don't want to. Now you get role abilities instead of cross class skills, they just unlock automatically, make sure you check these and assign some, general setup is like Tactician+Refresh for TP/MP group regen, Pallisade to give your tank some help when he's being retarded, Peloton to get your group to run faster between packs, or great for questing before mount/in cities and then like Second Wind so if your healer sucks you can sometimes survive anyway or Invigorate if you want to spam more aoes.

The MSQ doesn't scale but you could get a char to lvl 25 or whatever really quickly to do your lvl 20ish MSQ with, any char that's not your highest get a 100% combat xp bonus(reduced to 50% once you're 60+), just doing like the hunting log you can probably hit 25 in an hour or two top with the Road to 60 buff. Then you can do the MSQ with that char and get the xp there and once you're at 35 or whatever, switch back to archer or something. I mean you do what you want obv.

Also once you do Sylph Management(lvl 20 MSQ), do your class quests so you can unlock Bard. In general, always do your class quests, you get skills at 15 and 30, and then every 5 levels until 50, then every 2 levels until 60 and then you don't get skills until 70. Your class quests also give you your AF(class armor) at 50, 60 and 70, good for glamour purposes mostly(although for 70 it's good to get started on gearing). Some of the class quests are pretty nice too storywise(Dark Knight being the best by far, but Dragoon, Scholar, Summoner and Red Mage are pretty good too).

Crone

The MSQ doesn't scale but you could get a char to lvl 25 or whatever really quickly to do your lvl 20ish MSQ with, any char that's not your highest get a 100% combat xp bonus(reduced to 50% once you're 60+), just doing like the hunting log you can probably hit 25 in an hour or two top with the Road to 60 buff. Then you can do the MSQ with that char and get the xp there and once you're at 35 or whatever, switch back to archer or something. I mean you do what you want obv.
Should have done this. My MSQ is now up to about 40, and I'm 49. Little harder to get an Alt Job up to it.

Hunting logs are job specific?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Should have done this. My MSQ is now up to about 40, and I'm 49. Little harder to get an Alt Job up to it.

Hunting logs are job specific?
Yes but they stop at... 20? I forgot, they get you to 15 quick though if you want to spam dungeons on a tank or whatever. There's GC hunting logs too but these are one time only shared between all classes. If you're at 40 it's too late though probably but it's not a huge deal. If you want to change classes you should look into Palace of the Dead too it's the fastest until 60 or so other than squadron but you need these leveled and be high enough GC rank so I don't think you'll get there until 70 and you start getting a lot of seals.

Crone

Yes but they stop at... 20? I forgot, they get you to 15 quick though if you want to spam dungeons on a tank or whatever. There's GC hunting logs too but these are one time only shared between all classes. If you're at 40 it's too late though probably but it's not a huge deal. If you want to change classes you should look into Palace of the Dead too it's the fastest until 60 or so other than squadron but you need these leveled and be high enough GC rank so I don't think you'll get there until 70 and you start getting a lot of seals.
Cool. I'll switch and see what kind of things I can mess around with. I don't have the expansions yet, so gotta stick with the vanilla classes. Thinking of trying Lancer/Dragoon.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Cool. I'll switch and see what kind of things I can mess around with. I don't have the expansions yet, so gotta stick with the vanilla classes. Thinking of trying Lancer/Dragoon.
Well as I mentionned before, you'll want to do the 2.1-2.5 stuff after you do the final 2.0 MSQ, they give shit xp anyway and they take a fucking long time. But I guess if you want to use the xp from 42 to 50 on another class you can do that.

Dragoon is pretty awful to level early on. Get better around 35 or so once you start getting the jumps and the 2nd combo chain and gets a lot more interesting as you hit Heavensward skills. I think that's generally a problem with most classes though, 1-30 tends to be pretty garbage and 30-50 is often kinda meh.

But yeah if you do your hunting log you'll hit 15 or 20 or so not sure with Road to 60, then you can enter PotD. Although I just checked and I forgot that potd is restricted if you don't have Heavensward, so it might not be worth doing. It caps at floor 40 without HW, and what you want to farm in potd is 51-60 over and over, the rest is meh and the queues will be slow for earlier stuff. It might actually be a pain in the dick to level alts without the expansions since it's unlikely you can get the GC high enough for squadrons(and even then you need to level your squadron members to 50 first I think which takes a fairly long time since it's time gated). I guess queueing for dungeons and running beastmen tribe daillies during the queues would work out decently but beastmen in ARR start only at 38 or 40, maybe some FATEs for seals, can also look into leveling gathering/crafting stuff.

There wasn't any sale for Halloween it seems, there should be one sometimes in November like last year but can't guarantee when.

Crone

There wasn't any sale for Halloween it seems, there should be one sometimes in November like last year but can't guarantee when.
It's all good. I've got the alerts set for it, and I'll just level other classes, that type of thing until then. I'm not going too serious with this stuff. Having a pretty good time though. As I keep having to do dungeons for the MSQ, I can see how the fights are getting more complicated. It's pretty awesome.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
It's all good. I've got the alerts set for it, and I'll just level other classes, that type of thing until then. I'm not going too serious with this stuff. Having a pretty good time though. As I keep having to do dungeons for the MSQ, I can see how the fights are getting more complicated. It's pretty awesome.
Yeah it does progress pretty nicely, and while the current dungeons are still "easy", they have a ton more mechanics that in the original game, just people got better at doing stuff. Also once past the original 2.0 dungeons which a lot of them were just remakes of 1.0 crappy dungeons so they mostly look ugly as shit, there's a lot of just really cool looking places.

Crone

You're not kidding. Lancer is pretty terrible early on. Did some hunting logs, and Fates to get to 16, and just joined in a random Duty. The experience is pretty great, as I got 4 levels, but gameplay for an early Lancer is terrible. Holllyyy moly! I wanna keep pushing it to get to the better stuff, but it's tough.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Every class is terrible pre-70. The devs make the leveling experience even worse with every expansion as they gut more abilities or restrict cool job systems until higher levels.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Every class is terrible pre-70. The devs make the leveling experience even worse with every expansion as they gut more abilities or restrict cool job systems until higher levels.
Some classes build better earlier though. I mean Dragoon until like 26 you can just spam Impulse Drive the entire time. I think they buffed the 2nd step of the chain so it's like 5potency more to do vorpal combo instead of just impulse drive spam, but like, 5potency? Also Impulse drive is fucking useless because you don't get Disembowel or whatever until like, 40? The class would be a lot more logical if you had the full vorpal > true thrust combo chain, and then they gave you the 2nd combo chain later. It just makes no sense to not change the skills around. It's like how Paladin gets Savage and Riot Blade early, but don't get Halone until 26, so you only do 2 step combos until then, and then you just do Halone spam only because Riot Blade is worthless until HW anyway.

Part of the problem is when they pruned abilities, they basically almost only pruned 1-50 because 50-60skills are tied to HW quests, but the result is 1-50 is bare as fuck. They should have moved some HW quest skills into 1-50. It's fine, in SB you don't get skills for class quests either until the 70 one, so it's not like you HAVE to get your 5skills every 2levels in HW, could be 3skills over those 10levels and 2 earlier to make the classes not feel like shit.

Giving random step shit works fine for a class like Monk where the skills are interchangeable, and even there they give you 1-2-3 combos within the first 10levels, but for other classes it's just dumb. Ninja is the same Aeolian is 26 so you do 1-2 the entire time, but at least you have some oGCDs at low level to mix it up. Dragoon get their oGCD as part of the Dragoon quests, which is fine it's thematic and all, Lancers shouldn't get jump, but they should get better shit at low lvl. Just swap Impulse Drive and True Thrust and it'd make the class better right away.

At least it's pretty short now. While some classes got a bunch of stuff removed, some classes were just bad in 2.0 too early on like Lancer, and it was a lot slower back then.

Crone

I was hoping for more ranged DPS options. But there is Bard and Black Mage in Vanilla, and then Machinist for HW, and Red Mage for SB expansions? Did I miss one?

Ehrgeix

Trakanon Raider
Finally got my weapon on warrior last week, have only been able to run 9/10 since weekly clears but man it makes a big difference.

If anyone is on Primal and needs a warrior for any 1-0 chest content feel free to drop me a msg (here or on Discord at Ehrgeix#1732). I wanna run more.

Kind of excited for Pyros - seems like people mostly hated Pagos but I thought it was much better than Anemos, felt like an EQ2 zone.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
New collab coming near the end of the year, FFXV x FFXIV, that's the FFXV part of the collab, FFXIV version will come later I guess

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
A friend started playing this again this weekend. So I decided to reactivate my account to continue playing with him.

I have an alt to play with him that was on the same MSQ as we played together. We just started on Stormblood.

My main is a 70 Red Mage at 314 Gear Score, I need to get that up for the duty roulette. I had stopped just before 4.1. It looks like they added quite a bit.

Looks like a few more duty were added. I unlocked the Beast Tribe in Ruby Sea and the Fringe. Couldn't do the last one since it required a crafting class at 60 which I don't have yet.

Looks like gearing up shouldn't be too hard by running some duties, the gear rewarded for the current currency is pretty high up compared to what I have.

I am finally a homeowner. I was never able to get a house before. There were plenty 1-3 per ward in Shirogane. 3-5 per ward in the other district. All of them small houses though, I only saw 2 medium house for sale in The Goblet which is the district I dislike the most, couldn't afford a medium anyways.

Now I need to level up my crafting so I can start decorating my house, learn gardening.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Game's on sale now btw if people still need it. On official website and on Humble Bundle. 20bucks for complete edition, bit less for just SB.

First fanfest in ~7hours too with first reveal of the next expansion.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
HYPE DAY IS REAL.

I swear to god though, I won't mind Blue Mage announcement, but please god don't announce Dancer. That's such a lame fucking job.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user