Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Cybsled

The Eureka relic is 100% stand-alone from the ARR/HW relics, so you can go grind that if you want. "Grind" being the operative word: Eureka is basically EQ1/FFXI mob grind mechanics (ie, very hard to solo) / XP curve, which is why it is fairly polarizing.

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
Some of the interesting tidbits they mentioned in the PLL about Blue Mage:

- Weapon damage means very little to a BLU; it's all about their armor and accessory stats. I'm not sure I get why they chose to reinvent the wheel here specifically.
- All abilities you learn can theoretically be used at level 1; you aren't level gated for them save for those duties that require a given level. (Bad Breath's tooltip explicitly showed BLU Lv 1 on it, yet the earliest morbols you ever encounter are the Stropers in Central Shroud around L29, iirc.)
- Blue Mages get tank and healer specific actions to allow them to fill either of those roles. I was expecting a lot of elemental, dps-oriented abilities with a couple mitigation and restorative abilities, not "you can do this role completely".
- Mighty Guard is actually a tank stance! It has the same effects as Shield Oath and Grit, basically.
- The Job quests require you to have learned specific action(s) in order to do them; you don't gain a specific level in order to undertake them.
- Some Blue Magic is learned from a "Blue Totem" ("Buruu Tootemu"+kanji is what it said in the spell book for one or two of the unlearned abilities while they were showing that UI more), which sounds like the job quests giving out a couple of abilities as well, or else the Masked Carnivale is going to be supplying some actions as well.

- Flying Sardine. 'nough said.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
It was a pretty bizarre experience. I was playing a WHM and despite a shitload of experience healing in MMO's, there was nothing I could do to carry the groups through it. I was having to teach each group the mechanics (including the tanks) and after the 5th failed group or so I just gave up and didn't bother logging back in.

To be honest healers in XIV are there to heal as little as possible and DPS as much as they can. They're designed in such a way that you have ways to bring people back from fucking up mechanics, but certain mechanics will just fuck your team up beyond repair which results in a wipe.

Your job as a WHM is to heal the unavoidable damage, recover from fuck ups and DPS. Fucked up avoidable mechanics are on the other people in the group, and they can't expect a healer to babysit them all the way through every mistake they make.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
That's another thing I need to work on also. A pair of emperors earrings. I never understood why SE didnt put the option in to hide earrings like helms. My character looks retarded wearing dangling earrings. I checked the market several times and I have yet to see a pair that I can glamour to.

You can buy all the emporer stuff off a vendor in vesper bay for like 25 Gil each don't buy it off the MB.

Cybsled

Ya, people buying the Emperor stuff off the vendor and marking them up 1000x is just robbing folks. Remember, if you mouse over an item, now they indicate if they are sold by a vendor and I believe what the vendor price is.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
You do need to do the quest that requires a crafter to open the vendor though as I was saying. I remembered the quest wrong though, the one you need for Emperor stuff is Absolutely Glamorous, the quest to learn how to make glamour prisms that follows the quest to learn how to glamour. You do need a lvl 15 DoH class to unlock that.

Neuad

Trakanon Raider
Cleared o11s last Sunday, so we set a goal to try and clear o12s before 4.5.

Saw 9%/4% M/F enrage last night, after starting prog on Thursday.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Magimaster

Trakanon Raider
So, I have hit 20 on my Marauder so far. Once I hit 30 and finish the Marauder questline, that unlocks Warrior class I beleive? Does the Warrior then start at level 1 or at level 30?

Someone mentioned earlier about cross levelling another class, so I was thinking about levelling a DPS class as well, but not sure when/how to time it once I unlock Warrior? What would be a good DPS class to level, something ranged or is melee better?

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
So, I have hit 20 on my Marauder so far. Once I hit 30 and finish the Marauder questline, that unlocks Warrior class I beleive? Does the Warrior then start at level 1 or at level 30?

Someone mentioned earlier about cross levelling another class, so I was thinking about levelling a DPS class as well, but not sure when/how to time it once I unlock Warrior? What would be a good DPS class to level, something ranged or is melee better?

Warrior starts at 30.

Get warrior to 70 first then level a DPS Alt.

I'd suggest summoner because then you also get a free lvl 70 healer as they share the same base class.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>

Basically the original classes "morph" into jobs at 30 by equipping a a job crystal, and you still gain marauder xp even as a warrior.

As for DPS it's kinda up to you, what appeals to you in terms of style and design. You could level another tank too if you prefer just to have more optons. Don't even have to lvl an alt if you don't want. There isn't really anything that's better or worse, I'd say the only DPS that sets itself apart from others is RDM with how strong it is for soloing old content and some other stuff, and that unlocks at 50 anyway(and starts at 50, so you don't really need to relvl anything). As a_skeleton_02 said, Summoner might be a decent idea too, however you'll often be story capped on their job quests due to them being tied to primals, still works fine with the starting summon though.

Warrior starts at 30.

Get warrior to 70 first then level a DPS Alt.

I'd suggest summoner because then you also get a free lvl 70 healer as they share the same base class.
On a Road to 60 server it's very easy to level 2 chars in parallel in the same time it'd take for one, by just alternating MSQs and leveling roulette on both, and since you're soft capped by MSQ progress at 50 and 60, having only one char doesn't really make a difference. Past 60 though it won't be worth it, but you can easily get an alt to 60 for free by alternating MSQs before that.

Magimaster

Trakanon Raider
Basically the original classes "morph" into jobs at 30 by equipping a a job crystal, and you still gain marauder xp even as a warrior.

As for DPS it's kinda up to you, what appeals to you in terms of style and design. You could level another tank too if you prefer just to have more optons. Don't even have to lvl an alt if you don't want. There isn't really anything that's better or worse, I'd say the only DPS that sets itself apart from others is RDM with how strong it is for soloing old content and some other stuff, and that unlocks at 50 anyway(and starts at 50, so you don't really need to relvl anything). As a_skeleton_02 said, Summoner might be a decent idea too, however you'll often be story capped on their job quests due to them being tied to primals, still works fine with the starting summon though.

On a Road to 60 server it's very easy to level 2 chars in parallel in the same time it'd take for one, by just alternating MSQs and leveling roulette on both, and since you're soft capped by MSQ progress at 50 and 60, having only one char doesn't really make a difference. Past 60 though it won't be worth it, but you can easily get an alt to 60 for free by alternating MSQs before that.

I was leaning towards a ranged class only because I'm already playing melee as a tank. Wasnt sure how Archer/Bards were versus the caster classes. Thought about a Dark Knight but it sounds like they are getting reworked and don't unlock till I hit one of the expansion content so that may wait for later.

Im at level 24 now but my MSQ is only 14, so thats why I Figured it might be worth dual-levelling. I have the Road to 60 buff so exp just flies by right now.

I'm currently at Luna Lumista, so if I want to pick a class that doesnt start there, is there a way to go to the other starting cities or do I just go with what I have avaiable then grab the others once I venture outside this city?

Last edited:

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I was leaning towards a ranged class only because I'm already playing melee as a tank. Wasnt sure how Archer/Bards were versus the caster classes. Thought about a Dark Knight but it sounds like they are getting reworked and don't unlock till I hit one of the expansion content so that may wait for later.

Im at level 24 now but my MSQ is only 14, so thats why I Figured it might be worth dual-levelling. I have the Road to 60 buff so exp just flies by right now.

I'm currently at Luna Lumista, so if I want to pick a class that doesnt start there, is there a way to go to the other starting cities or do I just go with what I have avaiable then grab the others once I venture outside this city?
You might want to wait like a couple more MSQ and that'll unlock travel to other cities, it's like lvl 15.

Bard is fine, pretty boring at low lvl though and very active at higher levels, you basically get a ton of procs and low cd stuff coming up at all times to weave in your basic rotations which is mostly 2dots+1buff skill+1 spam skill but even though it's that basic it's easily one of the easiest job to miss shit because so much is coming up at the same time. Also great support abilities so one of the highest in demand class. Damage is ok-ish, kinda bottom tier but obviously makes up for that with all the utility, just if you want the biggest numbers that's not it for sure.

RDM is the easiest ranged class, is considered a bit weak atm since their damage isn't high and while having on demand instant rez is great for progression, once people stop dying it's not so great.

SMN is a solid DPS with decent support, can rez too but tied to a cooldown for instant, has high damage potential but the rotation at higher levels is pretty strict and dying is a disaster since you build up power over several minutes worth until you can use Bahamut.

BLM is the highest DPS in the game, when they can stand still. They lack any sort of relevant utility and require solid knowledge of encounters to maximize uptime. Can easily do garbage damage if you keep having to move, but can do some ridiculous numbers otherwise. Has the 2nd highest "big numbers" in the game, and repeatedly spam it unlike SAM's big hit, so it looks pretty cool.

MCH is like, meh? They have kinda lower utility than BRD, do about the same damage and their rotations is super annoying because you have to cram all your oGCDs in a 10secs window burst or else your overall damage suck, so you have to line up shit perfectly. It'll get some minor buffs next patch. It's totally viable as a class but generally speaking unless the gun stuff appeals to you, I'd stick with BRD for the support ranged DPS role.

Magimaster

Trakanon Raider
You might want to wait like a couple more MSQ and that'll unlock travel to other cities, it's like lvl 15.

Bard is fine, pretty boring at low lvl though and very active at higher levels, you basically get a ton of procs and low cd stuff coming up at all times to weave in your basic rotations which is mostly 2dots+1buff skill+1 spam skill but even though it's that basic it's easily one of the easiest job to miss shit because so much is coming up at the same time. Also great support abilities so one of the highest in demand class. Damage is ok-ish, kinda bottom tier but obviously makes up for that with all the utility, just if you want the biggest numbers that's not it for sure.

RDM is the easiest ranged class, is considered a bit weak atm since their damage isn't high and while having on demand instant rez is great for progression, once people stop dying it's not so great.

SMN is a solid DPS with decent support, can rez too but tied to a cooldown for instant, has high damage potential but the rotation at higher levels is pretty strict and dying is a disaster since you build up power over several minutes worth until you can use Bahamut.

BLM is the highest DPS in the game, when they can stand still. They lack any sort of relevant utility and require solid knowledge of encounters to maximize uptime. Can easily do garbage damage if you keep having to move, but can do some ridiculous numbers otherwise. Has the 2nd highest "big numbers" in the game, and repeatedly spam it unlike SAM's big hit, so it looks pretty cool.

MCH is like, meh? They have kinda lower utility than BRD, do about the same damage and their rotations is super annoying because you have to cram all your oGCDs in a 10secs window burst or else your overall damage suck, so you have to line up shit perfectly. It'll get some minor buffs next patch. It's totally viable as a class but generally speaking unless the gun stuff appeals to you, I'd stick with BRD for the support ranged DPS role.

Hrmm, I'll have to think about it a bit more then. I doubt ill get much into the raids, mainly just group stuff like dungeons and such. Do the summons tank for the summoner or are they temporary?

Neuad

Trakanon Raider
M/F dead after 3 days of prog without our full static, stupid holidays. Holy shit what a lot of work.

Now 2 weeks to kill Final.

Final.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Hrmm, I'll have to think about it a bit more then. I doubt ill get much into the raids, mainly just group stuff like dungeons and such. Do the summons tank for the summoner or are they temporary?
There is a tank summon. They're permanent, but Bahamut is a temporary replacement, you have 3 main summons otherwise, Ifrit which is melee DPS, Titan which is tank and Garuda which is ranged DPS, they come with their own skills and you have to micro them a bit at times. You can reskin them to different colors of Carbuncle too if you prefer.

For casual content, any class is fine. For savage raiding, people can be a bit more picky but generally a good player beats a bad player regardless of class so picking what you like and want to play is better in that regard. That and savage raiding is done until the expansion, and it'll just get easier as they add Echo later on and make it easier to get higher ilvl stuff with the 24man weekly upgrade tokens and stuff like that. Point is, right now you're better off picking something that you think you'll like, rather than think in terms of numbers.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
M/F dead after 3 days of prog without our full static, stupid holidays. Holy shit what a lot of work.

Now 2 weeks to kill Final.

Me and my Static have been working thru Final for the past week, got it too 20'ish last try, probably won't get back too it till after the year.

Neuad

Trakanon Raider
It looks like a real fun fight. We had 20 minutes left on our instance, and the MCH that was with us had broken gear, but we did some pulls just to see things. . .and those first couple mechanics come real fast. Spicy stuff. Should be fun to try and clear.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
And it keeps getting crazy, not sure how long it lasts but at 25-20%HP Omega goes nuts, I think it's the final "burst" from it but we never survived.(Only got it too that point 3 times)

Neuad

Trakanon Raider
I can't wait. I've spoiled the fight for myself so I can lead the group in our quest to beat it before 4.5, we got a late start on the tier due to odd circumstances as people moved over from EQ and we figured out who was fit for savage raiding and what not.

For the expansion we plan on having something set up to go hard and try to clear multiple fights with no guides/strats, or at least very minimal.

Last edited: