Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
I resubbed against my better judgment. Do we have a cross-server LS yet?

EDIT: Yeah we do, we should get everyone on Aether in here.

9f6f89b673.png

Last edited:

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Just killed Garuda, so I get to see the rest of the original story now. I'm not sure if that's a good thing due to the horrifically bad writing/translation. Watching RLM videos while playing through it is the only thing that has saved me from gouging my eyes out.

Mayhap the expansion stories grant me succor (I feel dirty just writing that)

Nola

Trakanon Raider
I think I own/have or whatever you call it the original FoH linkshell. I remember being part of it years ago when FoH first started playing FFXIV. I guess it defaulted to me since no one was playing the game or quit it?\

EDIT: This isn't a cross world one. Can anyone add me to the cross world one? I'm also on Aether.

foh.jpg

Last edited:

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
It was rough, but I recall it wasn't too bad once I knew what was coming. However, I play a melee DPS mainly. Do you have any geared/leveled melee DPS to try the solo event with?

Sadly no.

I’m not sure why they did this one the way they did. Usually you get the cho buff if you fail, but this one kicks you out and you have to retry without the buff.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Sadly no.

I’m not sure why they did this one the way they did. Usually you get the cho buff if you fail, but this one kicks you out and you have to retry without the buff.
Seems weird you're having issues, maybe you could try doing a few bounties to get some centurio seals and upgrade your gear to 330 if you haven't, especially the weapon. Alternatively if you have the ilvl for it, doing sigmascape V4.0 4times for the crystalloid and 1000mendacity for a 360 weapon, or HoH for a while for that, or a crafted weapon.

I actually failed that event once but that's cause I switched to my 310PLD to do it and I was just short on damage by a little bit, so I went back on my SCH who was like, 330 or something at the time with a 350 crafted weapon and it was pretty easy. Honestly it probably wouldn't take too long to get enough gear to just stomp it easily. Hell depending on your server economy you could maybe buy a 380crafted weapon for a decent price and it should be no trouble at all regardless of class. Not sure what you play, I'd say BLM would probably be the worst for this but with good enough gear you'd be able to blow up stuff fast enough it shouldn't matter.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
What's the gear progression in this game? Once I made 50 I was able to get a full set of iron works on my character. I wanted to try a warrior and I got the level skip to 60 and that gave me a full set of shire gear. I went back to leveling my DRK and now he's currently level 62 in full shire gear I'm using from my warrior. What's the next set of gear and what's after that? I'm guessing it's a level 70 set but is there something I can use between levels 60-70?

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
What's the gear progression in this game? Once I made 50 I was able to get a full set of iron works on my character. I wanted to try a warrior and I got the level skip to 60 and that gave me a full set of shire gear. I went back to leveling my DRK and now he's currently level 62 in full shire gear I'm using from my warrior. What's the next set of gear and what's after that? I'm guessing it's a level 70 set but is there something I can use between levels 60-70?

If you're doing the MSQ and sidequests you'll get plenty of gear in between 60-70, also dungeon drops from the 4 mans you do for the MSQ. Craftable stuff as well if you're into that.

Merrith

How bad is the Eureka farm? I've played catch up on the other two epic/anima weapons and they were a grind but not so bad you couldn't knock it out over time...just curious if it's worth it to do the Eureka grind.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
How bad is the Eureka farm? I've played catch up on the other two epic/anima weapons and they were a grind but not so bad you couldn't knock it out over time...just curious if it's worth it to do the Eureka grind.

It sucks but they are nerfing it in the next patch so wait a couple weeks.

Merrith

It sucks but they are nerfing it in the next patch so wait a couple weeks.

Good deal, will definitely wait until then. I just remember the light farm being pretty irritating last go round (in HW), but got one really sweet AS1 group when it was bonus and it made it go quickly.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Good deal, will definitely wait until then. I just remember the light farm being pretty irritating last go round (in HW), but got one really sweet AS1 group when it was bonus and it made it go quickly.

Don't wait if you haven't touched it yet. Do the challenge log in Anemos. Anemos goes really fast it's Pagos that sucks and is getting nerfed. Basically, go to Anemos, do the challenge log, maybe try shouting for someone doing it at low lvl like you but otherwise you can solo it, make sure to buy the regen potions at the vendor in town and play a decently strong solo class preferably, personally I went with RDM but PLD or SCH would be good too, even pure DPS if you're pretty careful. It takes a few hours to solo, spread it over several days if you want.

I started Eureka when I resubbed a couple resets back. Got to 12 on the first week's challenge log(would have been 13 if I didn't do it at 5AM and died 2-3times without getting a rez), then 18 on the 2nd week. I farmed FATEs for a few hours after that to get to 20, and this week I got to 23 doing the log. At 18+ it's easy to do the log in an hour or so finding a lvl 20 party for it, since most people do their logs in Anemos still since it's easier than Pagos.

I doubt they'll make the Anemos leveling part much better than that tbh, although they might but it's not gonna be a huge difference. Most likely what they will do is make FATEs spawn more and give more xp in Pagos for that part, since that's what sucks. Maybe also nerf the Aetheryte levels since those are fucking stupid.

Ironworks and Shire are the old "best" sets in their given expansions, so they're solid for leveling inbetween. That said you start getting better gear in the 55 and 65 dungeons respectively, so you can replace them halfway as you level up. Once you reach 70, there's several tiers of gear instead since the expansion isn't done, so you can't use poetics to buy the best stuff. Poetics are basically the old expansion tomes, everything gets converted to poetics when the next expansion hits.

The rest of the time, you have 2 main type of tomes, one uncapped plentiful tome that gives alright gear to catch up, and weekly capped tomes that give the best gear in the current patch. Atm that's Mendacity for uncapped and Genesis for capped. The genesis gear(Scaevan) is the current equivalent of Ironworks and Shire and once the next expansion hit that's what you'll buy with poetics, but until then it's harder to get.

The two tome tiers are also upgraded every main raid tier(6months), the former weekly capped tome becomes the uncapped tome and they add a new type of weekly capped tome. The old uncapped tome becomes even easier to get, with Centurio seals, another currency you get for easy bounties. That's mostly how the gear progresses, with the raid tier having an equivalent drop to the best weekly capped tome currently after it's upgraded(upgraded with raid drops also, which later become available to casuals) and the 24man raid having equivalent to the unupgraded weekly tomes but only available halfway into the cycle, 3months into the patch.

Here's a detailed post on how the gearing works at 70 atm, the only difference being added in 4.5 is that they'll have a 24man dropping 390 gear too(and later in 4.5 they'll make everything easier to get in preparation for the expansion):

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Hit 50 and finally got to unlock the job I wanted (Sam) and it has me all messed up trying to adjust my MMO hotkey setup to account for so many active abilities after dealing with WoW's neutered repertoire and GW2's setup for so long. I feel like a noob with how much time I spend staring at my hotbars, but in a good way.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Hit 50 and finally got to unlock the job I wanted (Sam) and it has me all messed up trying to adjust my MMO hotkey setup to account for so many active abilities after dealing with WoW's neutered repertoire and GW2's setup for so long. I feel like a noob with how much time I spend staring at my hotbars, but in a good way.

Takes a bit of adjusting, but once you hit those grooves man the job is soo fucking fluid. Not nearly as fluid as monk, but it comes very close.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I do think it plays better than monk overall. Having both a skill that moves you away and a charge, and the fact your buffs are longer and easier to refresh while having less positional requirements and such. Only downside of SAM is having to stand still for Midare, which can be annoying if the timing is wrong but generally doesn't matter. Meanwhile Monk is "The Struggle of Trying to Maintain my Stacks While the Boss is Doing Stupid Shit", volume 1 to 10.

Mind you I love Monk, it was actually my first 70 I did the story with and out of all the DPS, it tends to be my go to when I just want to do some shit(although I do like picking a bunch of other shits every now and then too) but yeah I don't know if it's that smooth. The base rotation has a nice feel to it, but the micromanagement can be a bitch sometimes(like how you virtually are always pressing a button, even when there's a break because need to get them chakras/stance steps), especially with the addition of wind stance dancing and TK stuff. I mean it's interesting and all but it gets pretty heavy on the oGCDs when you're doing a TK.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
How dead is Pagos now? I hit level 24 and got my Anemos weapon back when it first came out, but now that Pyros is out is Pagos dead?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
How dead is Pagos now? I hit level 24 and got my Anemos weapon back when it first came out, but now that Pyros is out is Pagos dead?
From what I've seen, there's people in there on my datacenter, it's just shitty to level in regardless and most people seem to be farming light.

My plan is to just do the challenge log until 4.5, which is supposed to have some Pagos nerfs. I'll probably be 26 or 27 or so by then so will only have to farm a little bit in there to move on.

Cybsled

I do think it plays better than monk overall. Having both a skill that moves you away and a charge, and the fact your buffs are longer and easier to refresh while having less positional requirements and such. Only downside of SAM is having to stand still for Midare, which can be annoying if the timing is wrong but generally doesn't matter. Meanwhile Monk is "The Struggle of Trying to Maintain my Stacks While the Boss is Doing Stupid Shit", volume 1 to 10.

Mind you I love Monk, it was actually my first 70 I did the story with and out of all the DPS, it tends to be my go to when I just want to do some shit(although I do like picking a bunch of other shits every now and then too) but yeah I don't know if it's that smooth. The base rotation has a nice feel to it, but the micromanagement can be a bitch sometimes(like how you virtually are always pressing a button, even when there's a break because need to get them chakras/stance steps), especially with the addition of wind stance dancing and TK stuff. I mean it's interesting and all but it gets pretty heavy on the oGCDs when you're doing a TK.

Ya, I love the SAM playstyle. The dash back/dash forward lets you maximize DPS while avoiding AOEs/damage mechanics and working up for those ultra crit attacks is nice and they have good AOE, although it drains energy like crazy.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Been plugging away for the past two days on random stuff. Got the MIN to 61 and finished up most of his quest line up through 60 and almost done the same on BOT.

PAL is what I am going to be leveling to 70 first.