Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Cybsled

Should be fine. All the ARR and HW is faceroll stuff with the small exception of a couple fights.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Twitch has the Starter edition up as a prime perk now. What's the best way to take advantage of it with recruit a friend etc...?
You just make a new account with the code from twitch, then on your main account mogstation, find the refer a friend thing, click on it for your RAF code, then enter that on your other account and that's it. Log off if you're ingame to get the chocobo feathers.

There's not much else to do, you can't get additional rewards without paying a sub for the alt account, and that would only happen after the 30days are done anyway.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Eh, not too worried about it now that I look at the rewards.

If anyone wants the code (FF14 starter edition) just reply to this and the first one gets it.

Ehrgeix

Trakanon Raider
Some stray thoughts re: WoW, raids/mythic balance, world first, maybe more suited for WoW thread but I don't want to derail it with FF14 Vs WoW stuff -

I used to really like WoW (quit in Cata, am gonna try classic again when it hits), but I've been watching the world race for Jaina and holy fuck I'm glad raids in FF14 are tuned before release -- there's been 2 major hotfixes so far that changed optimal comp etc.

Also really glad ultimate exists - I understand having normal and savage, but an extra difficulty for all fights seems so much worse than these insane medley ultimate fights that come out 3-4 months after a raid tier and are tuned for BiS. Just really feels like the FF devs have shit figured out, it's very comfortable.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Sticking with Monk for now.. might level up White Mage at some point just to try a healer for a change..

Consider giving AST a try. The card mechanics on top of FF14's Healers being half DPS really keeps you on your toes. It's like being a juggler. DPS this, heal that, draw cards. Quick! Choose what to do with them! Pray to RNG gods you don't just keep drawing spires. There's no other healing experience like it in MMO's that I've ever seen.

WHM is still great though. They have a really solid toolkit, although I'm not overly fond of how the lilies work. Don't bother with the job if you can't handle repetitive annoying sound effects though (stone)

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Whelp, I bought the Stormblood off Amazon and should have it Wednesday. I haven't played since release so it is going to be interesting to say the least. I still have my BLM on Gilg from the last time I played, but I think I might delete him and start all the way over because I don't remember much about playing him.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Whelp, I bought the Stormblood off Amazon and should have it Wednesday. I haven't played since release so it is going to be interesting to say the least. I still have my BLM on Gilg from the last time I played, but I think I might delete him and start all the way over because I don't remember much about playing him.

Don't delete him. You'll need to slog through the early game again and that's the worst part of the game. If you want to learn the job from level 1 on, just take him through POTD which uses an independent leveling system that levels you up as you progress through it so you can figure out the abilities as you go

Edit: It's not a lengthy process either so it's not a grind. You start in at level 1 and progress in stages of 10 map levels, leveling as you go. By the time you get to floor 50 or so your character is in the 60's. This only takes a couple hours of working on it. You also gain XP for your normal levels while doing this.

• 1Like

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
I'll second Dom's opinion on the AST. The card mechanic is great, it's like a mini-game within the healing role. Also being able to do Diurnal and Nocturnal sects based on which you prefer or what the fight calls for is awesome. I haven't played either of the other healing jobs, so I can't compare AST to how the others feel or play. AST is a ton of fun to play though!

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
So if I start a new f2p account, can I later use the twitch code on that account to turn it into a normal starter account with a free month?

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I think so, but you want to avoid doing it through the Steam trial as the codes won't work on those trials according to reddit.

And stay 10 feet away from lala's at all times

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
i apparently opted in to the Realm Reborn beta, although I don't recall ever installing it on my computer. Guess it's lucky that nothing else is tied to that squeenix account.

So is there a server where everyone/most everyone is located on? Do servers even matter anymore?

Last edited:

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
They matter, and most seem to be on Gilgamesh, though they don't seem to be playing together much if the thread is any indicator.

Data Centers are like WoW's battlegroups, but with no ability to interact with other ones.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Will only matter for around another month. I think it's the second half of 4.5 in early March where they are implementing the World Transfer thing, so you can hop over and stay on any server you want. (Within your Data Center that is.)

bolok

Trakanon Raider
i apparently opted in to the Realm Reborn beta, although I don't recall ever installing it on my computer. Guess it's lucky that nothing else is tied to that squeenix account.

So is there a server where everyone/most everyone is located on? Do servers even matter anymore?
Theres a Foh linkshell with a few folks on, but doesn't appear to be an active central guild.