Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
Did you play 2.0 Warrior at all? (Serious question, not meant as criticism.) That was... interesting to deal with as a healer.

Nope. From what I've heard, 2.0 Warriors were shit-tier tanks but since there were only 2 tank jobs you were stuck with them.

–––––

This FanFest keynote has been hype AF. For anyone who's used to WoW reveals, this is some next-level shit.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
That Nier Automata 24 man raid announcement had the chat channels squeeing with delight.

But after seeing that Collector's Edition in game literal Squall's gunblade to go with my new job...I've been an FFVIII apologist on all these forums of ours for almost 17 years now. Soon™ I will be living the dream.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
I'm so glad that they based the Gunbreaker job off of Final Fantasy VIII instead of XIII or XIV.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Already see a bunch of whining because it's a tank and not a DPS though, as expected. Same would have happened if the situation was reversed too. I4ll probably give it a try, although I'm not super excited about it.

Anyway fanfest was basically what was expected. I guess the extended trailer is a bit early but it might be extended further. There's some pretty big lore bombs in it though(and some confirmations).

Just need that next class hint in the dev panel/live letter and it'll be exactly what was expected.

New fairy area looks good, and those 2 music themes for the new areas were pretty awesome.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Already see a bunch of whining because it's a tank and not a DPS though, as expected. Same would have happened if the situation was reversed too. I4ll probably give it a try, although I'm not super excited about it.

Anyway fanfest was basically what was expected. I guess the extended trailer is a bit early but it might be extended further. There's some pretty big lore bombs in it though(and some confirmations).

Just need that next class hint in the dev panel/live letter and it'll be exactly what was expected.

New fairy area looks good, and those 2 music themes for the new areas were pretty awesome.
What the hell did they expect? There are enough DPS classes already. Currently they are 3 tanks classes, 9 dps, 3 healers and 1 class (blue mage) whatever you choose to classify it. I'm betting next reveal will be a healer class or a pure support/buff class like a time mage. I can't see them adding another dps class especioally when they added two new DPS classes in Stormblood. If they do I would be really shocked.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Also worth noting, if you preorder the expansion, on the 1st of march, you'll receive the preorder ingame bonus items(instead of having to wait until release), and these include the Aetheryte earrings, which gives +30% xp up to lvl 70(so all current content) and have stats that scale with your level. So if you wanna level side classes and what not(combat classes only mind you), might want to wait a little bit for these if you're not a in a hurry. Preordering also comes with a few days of early access as per usual(probably starts on friday, with launch being on the next tuesday, so you get one weekend, although it's likely a good bunch of it will be a technical mess, but eh).

Preorders start on the 6th next week.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
Also worth noting, if you preorder the expansion, on the 1st of march, you'll receive the preorder ingame bonus items(instead of having to wait until release), and these include the Aetheryte earrings, which give +30% xp up to lvl 70(so all current content) and have stats that scale with your level. So if you wanna level side classes and what not(combat classes only mind you), might want to wait a little bit for these if you're not a in a hurry. Preordering also comes with a few days of early access as per usual(probably starts on friday, with launch being on the next tuesday, so you get one weekend, although it's likely a good bunch of it will be a technical mess, but eh).

Preorders start on the 6th next week.
Nice info. Thank you

Cybsled

No, unless you're trying to level stuff up fast. If you use leves for crafting/gathering leveling, you can burn through them really fast (esp if you are using non-HQ handins)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
What the hell did they expect? There are enough DPS classes already. Currently they are 3 tanks classes, 9 dps, 3 healers and 1 class (blue mage) whatever you choose to classify it. I'm betting next reveal will be a healer class or a pure support/buff class like a time mage. I can't see them adding another dps class especioally when they added two new DPS classes in Stormblood. If they do I would be really shocked.

It'll almost certainly be Dancer as the new healer. Astrologian is already time mage in spirit with some added tarot components and the game's best particle effects.

Extended trailer; can't get over how good the background music is:

Looking like Matoya is borrowing Y'shtola's body due to Y'sh's soul being missing courtesy of the Calling.

Last edited:

Cybsled

Ya, the music in this game is amazing. The 2 new tracks they showed during the zone previews are pretty awesome. I also think the theory in spoilers might be spot on.

• 2Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Speaking of music, what do you think the composer was smoking when he came up with the vocal portion of the theme for the Ravana fight? Nearly let my group die when it started due to a lack of healing. It was just so sudden and bewildering during a chaotic fight.

• 2Like

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Speaking of music, what do you think the composer was smoking when he came up with the vocal portion of the theme for the Ravana fight? Nearly let my group die when it started due to a lack of healing. It was just so sudden and bewildering during a chaotic fight.

Soken is a precious cinnamon roll who is too pure for this sinful world.

22wndz512ld21.jpg

• 2Worf

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
That's why the music is great in this game, it's not all your standard stuff, it goes kinda all over the place, from J-rock Shiva and J-Pop Suzaku to Techno Alexander, the epic chorus into opener song Bahamut and the Indian themed Lakshmi, the orchestral big FATE music and the jazzy Gubal Library, the obvious slow piano pieces like Ishgard's night music to the rocking Titan, it doesn't get boring.

I remember the first time I entered Alexander raid in 3.0 and was like "wtf" and then it grew on me. All the primals are not only unique visually but also audibly, and a lot have their music built so that they match the action(for example how Shiva kinda starts whatever, then the song stops when she finger snaps, and then it goes a lot more rock or how the Titan theme progresses as more of the arena is removed).

I'm the kind of player who always kinda played most mmos with ingame music, but sometimes I'd get tired of them and turn them off because they got too repetiive and there wasn't enough of it. But FF, I never get tired of it, in fact it's one of the big thing I'm always looking forward to when there's new content, the music that comes with it. I mean they have to release 2 albums per expansion just to fit all the stuff they make, that's pretty crazy, and there's always some high quality stuff too. Tastes will obviously vary but I'd be surprised if someone didn't like at least a couple of tracks per expansion.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Gunbreaker looks fun , new areas look great also can't wait till July 2nd(even though I'll probably never play Gunbreaker.. like ever hahaha)

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
Best part of Keynote was the Viangaa troll, imo. That was just comedy to throw that at everyone.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
One concern with Gunbreaker that it sounds like it may play like a Drk, very spammy. Yoshi said the job will use ammo to augment abilities so that sounds like the Drk's Dark Arts spam. We'll see in the upcoming months.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Best part of Keynote was the Viangaa troll, imo. That was just comedy to throw that at everyone.
I don't know the Yoko Taro and Yosuke Saito interview was pretty funny too.

Anyway also forgot to mention in case people haven't watched or whatever or want to test the game out. They'll have the Starter edition(base ARR game) free with Twitch Prime at some point in the future, march I think? This isn't big time savings, since the starter edition often goes on sale for 5bucks and is 10bucks without a sale, but eh. Also useful if you want to get some gold chocobo feathers IF those accounts can do the recruit a friend, just recruit yourself if you have Amazon/Twich Prime.