Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I do think it'd be better if they would just let people pay for it now(which you can do already, there's an option for it if you prefer paying now so you know your finances and what not) and have access to the expansions though. With a caveat that they can't get a refund anymore. If they chargeback well sure they get their money back, but they also get their account banned, so it isn't that much of a problem I think?

It does feel kinda bad to have to buy SB a few months before the next expansion which will come with it for free in it, but on the flipside you don't really want to start catching up at release because it takes SOOOO fucking long to get through HW and SB MSQ(or even just SB). The only positive side of this is you'll get pretty fast queues as a DPS probably due to Gunbreakers(and possibly Dancers) queueing for lower lvl shit.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Even though I haven't played WoW in years, I feel like it has just completely ruined the MMO genre for me. Up to level 25, working through the main quest, done the first two dungeons so far and everything has been so incredibly boring and slow paced.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Even though I haven't played WoW in years, I feel like it has just completely ruined the MMO genre for me. Up to level 25, working through the main quest, done the first two dungeons so far and everything has been so incredibly boring and slow paced.

The difference in the speed of combat between those levels and say 60 is like 10-fold. The input speeds are actually faster than WoW in some cases at that point, with some jobs being faster than others. What job are you playing?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The difference in the speed of combat between those levels and say 60 is like 10-fold. The input speeds are actually faster than WoW in some cases at that point, with some jobs being faster than others. What job are you playing?

GLD atm.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>

That explains some of it. GLD/PLD is slow as balls until you start unlocking your off-cooldown abilities starting at 45, and the combat in the dungeons steps up a few tiers of difficulty. You'll also likely be doing multiple trash pack pulls at this point as well which means you'll need to manage your defensive cooldowns. Mine is at 60 and I'd say it's actually faster paced than what I experienced with WoW's prot-pal.

But yeah, the early game sucks. There's not excusing it, but the effort does lead you into better things at least whereas WoW is a whole lotta levels of the same shit.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Those 12 levels will go by very fast. Like Dom said
Just get through the levels, that's the hard part. Once you're higher in levels it gets MUCH better. You'll have more access you abilities that's not on the GCD and it won't feel so dull and slow placed.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
PLD will always feel kinda slow though even when you have the oGCDs. It's the more relaxed simple tank. WAR isn't much better imo, you do the big damage phases and shit but these mostly involve pressing one button repeatedly and weaving a couple of oGCDs in them. DRK is the only tank that kinda has a bunch of shit going on, but it's also kinda always the same shit(DARK ARTS DARK ARTS DARK ARTS). Still I'd say DRK has the most "active" playstyle out of the tanks, just pretty repetitive.

Tanks are not super interesting to play, from a pressing button perspective. You do have to group up shit, use cooldowns appropriately, keep your aggro up against the retards who don't have Diversion on their bars and so on, so they're fun to play, but not because of their active entertaining gameplay and more because of what is involved in tanking properly. Healers are the same tbh(worse though, since DPS rotation on healers generally involves 2 dots and one nuke and that's about the whole of it).

That said the game as a whole starts slow as shit, for everyone. That's one big downside and one most people will mention, especially ppl who played wow. It just feels sluggish as shit, the 2.5s GCD makes more sense as you level up, but it starts by letting you spam 3buttons for 45levels, and when these buttons are spaced by 2.5s on top, that's pretty fucking shit.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Tickles my asshole to see a queue to log in on Leviathan on a Thursday night. Popularity has been surging these past few months.

That being said, this trick works on PC (most all the time) but if you do encounter a queue, esp a smaller one, usually hitting Cancel and trying to log in again will skip past the queue and save you a couple of minutes if you're impatient like myself.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
FFXIV Census is a place that sort of tracks it, even breaks it down by most played race/job/etc. It's not an official source though, so take it with a grain of salt.

Then again, last time I want to say they officially released a sub amount, it was a skewed number, sort of like how other MMO's tend to report it; I want to say they just gave an amount of created characters total, which didn't exactly include people not currently subbed to the game. I may be wrong though.

Edit: Actually, fuck that. That website seems all sorts of fucked up, not reporting a lot of sections like it used to.

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
I want the CE physical before they sell out? Dont care about the digital. I can get that anytime and they never sell out.

Holy shit. I thought this was a bit of a meme. All PC orders now have a waitlist, some 36 hours after you made this post. Still some PS4 copies available.

FINAL FANTASY® XIV: SHADOWBRINGERS™ COLLECTOR'S EDITION [PS4] | Square Enix Store

Never doubt the frenzy of FF fanbois. Squenix better find a way to make a bunch more of these and bring in that sweet $160 surcharge.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Hahaha yeah, I think it was like this with Heavensward too - the CE sold out in 2 days or something like that. Hell, even tickets to the 2018 Fanfest in Vegas...that shit sold out in a few minutes I want to say, and those were $150.00 a pop too.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Hahaha yeah, I think it was like this with Heavensward too - the CE sold out in 2 days or something like that. Hell, even tickets to the 2018 Fanfest in Vegas...that shit sold out in a few minutes I want to say, and those were $150.00 a pop too.
I was in Vegas during that for something else and pissed I couldn't get one.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Tickles my asshole to see a queue to log in on Leviathan on a Thursday night. Popularity has been surging these past few months.

That being said, this trick works on PC (most all the time) but if you do encounter a queue, esp a smaller one, usually hitting Cancel and trying to log in again will skip past the queue and save you a couple of minutes if you're impatient like myself.

Thinking about getting back into this. To anyone on Gilgamesh, is it still packed? With Queues? Thought there was an exodus off that server a while back.

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
Thinking about getting back into this. To anyone on Gilgamesh, is it still packed? With Queues? Thought there was an exodus off that server a while back.
You'll get very sporadic queues (of a small number), and patch day will almost always have a queue at server up and occasionally at other times, particularly prime time US.

Expansion release, though? Take the day off, because there will be a queue almost all day. During Early Access (for Stormblood; can't remember Heavensward) I don't remember there being a very large queue after servers had been up a while.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
World visit is coming though. I'd expect the best way to enjoy the expansion will be to just fuck off to another world with less people and solo that shit with your Trusts so you don't have to deal with absolute fucking retards. That said a lot of people might also world visit somewhere else and ironically the most populated servers might be less populated in the end. Still should help a fair bit, maybe. Hope their implementation allows you to switch maybe on character login screen, so if you see a 3k queue, just log on another server. In the slides at the fanfest they've only shown it being done at the main atherytes in major cities but it'd be more useful from the char login imo.

But until the expansion, maybe a couple weeks before, the population should be fine and the queues minor. Still can't create chars on Gilgamesh and other populated servers for most of the day however.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Holy shit. I thought this was a bit of a meme. All PC orders now have a waitlist, some 36 hours after you made this post. Still some PS4 copies available.

FINAL FANTASY® XIV: SHADOWBRINGERS™ COLLECTOR'S EDITION [PS4] | Square Enix Store

Never doubt the frenzy of FF fanbois. Squenix better find a way to make a bunch more of these and bring in that sweet $160 surcharge.
Yup that's why I wanted to know quickly when NA orders are available. No meme dude, shit sells like crazy even at that price. Apparently CE's are serious business in FFXIV.

Last edited:

Cybsled

World visit is coming though. I'd expect the best way to enjoy the expansion will be to just fuck off to another world with less people and solo that shit with your Trusts so you don't have to deal with absolute fucking retards. That said a lot of people might also world visit somewhere else and ironically the most populated servers might be less populated in the end. Still should help a fair bit, maybe. Hope their implementation allows you to switch maybe on character login screen, so if you see a 3k queue, just log on another server. In the slides at the fanfest they've only shown it being done at the main atherytes in major cities but it'd be more useful from the char login imo.

But until the expansion, maybe a couple weeks before, the population should be fine and the queues minor. Still can't create chars on Gilgamesh and other populated servers for most of the day however.

I think the way they explained how it works is you do it ingame, but if the server you are trying to visit has a queue, you get lower priority over the people who actually have that server as their home.

Which is fine, because high pop server xfers would potentially fuck up the market/housing on lower pop servers, then just play on the high pop server all the time.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
I guess I'm going to take the plunge and try to get my eureka weapon(s) for the glamour since we have until July for Shadowbringers. What's the best job for soloing and groups? I heard its not the best option to solo but when I cant get a group I may not have a choice. Any suggestion?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
RDM. You can't really "solo" that much though, it's super inefficient past Anemos, and maybe solo grinding light in Pagos(but only at like 27-28+ so you can kill wolves quickly). Thing is Eureka is very much like old school ARR FATE leveling or hunts if you're in a hunt linkshell.

You just sit yourself somewhere, watch some movie/tv/animes/play another game, then when the chat starts spamming invite shouts, you do the same, get in a group, go to the FATE, hit it a few times so you get credit, collect your shit and go back to afking. Many groups you can just stay in the group and this way you don't need an invite for next one. Sometimes you'll miss FATEs if you don't have the mount unlocked yet or don't have the right aetherytes or get fucked by mobs, but just shout for a rez and keep going. If you have to leave no one gives a fuck. If you sit afk in town because you had something to do, no one gives a fuck(might get kicked, just get an invite on the next FATE).

This is basically the whole of Eureka, you don't have to make optimized groups or anything it's just FATE shenanigans, helps if you have a healer(I switch to SCH when I join a pt without a healer) and then just semi afk grind shit until you got all your stuff and leave. Light grinding in Pagos has specific groups for that, but you can still farm it on FATEs too.

Honestly it's a lot easier and faster than past relics, as much as people like to harp on Eureka. It's also a lot fucking less boring imo. Launch Pagos was a piece of shit though so that soured a lot of people.