Fire Stick vs PC

Cathan

Silver Knight of the Realm
I was looking at fire sticks on Amazon's Prime Day sales. When I looked at the capabilities I couldn't see anything that stick does that my computer doesn't. The fire stick looks like it gives you access to netflix and all the other streaming services plus a little googling says it can store photos and shit whoopty do...

I've had a pc tower hooked up to my big screen tv since 06 - and obviously I can surf to any streaming service via web browser, which is how I normally watch tv. I haven't had cable since 2014.

When I travel I always have my work laptop so I can still stream on it and I carry an HDMI output if I want to push that to a tv where ever I'm staying.

I can't think of any reason I want a fire stick unless the hacked fire sticks do something I'm not aware of?

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
It's convenience more than anything else. With an app like Plex you can stream through the firestick from the PC anywhere and then have a remote to use instead of a mouse. I've done it both ways and having the firestick is just easier to deal with once you set it up.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i'll be honest, i wanted so much convenience that i bought a firestick to turn off a tv w/ alexa.

but by now i've accumulated many 5$ amazon smart plugs, don't need the fire stick and i'm sure my newer tv has builtin bluetooth for alexa control, but it's so much easier just to plug it into the plug.

otherwise a firestick is worthless, compared to even a tablet with hdmi out.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Navigating to a web browser and all that seems backwards. If it works for you fine, but I just use my tv remote and sit back

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user