FireTV Stick

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Power over HDMI was one of the things I was disappointed to see that the fire stick doesn't do but the chromecast does. Not a dealbreaker by any means but it would have been nice.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I'm not sure if it's 100% necessary since the intro video only says it's "recommended for best results."

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Power over HDMI was one of the things I was disappointed to see that the fire stick doesn't do but the chromecast does. Not a dealbreaker by any means but it would have been nice.
The hell? My tv doesnt have any usb port on it.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
AFAIK the HDMI standard doesn't produce enough power to ever power a device. Hopefully the next big connection (or an upgraded HDMI spec) will be audio/video/power as well.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Mine gets delivered tomorrow, unfortunately this is a big weekend for school and I have no time to play with it. Maybe next weekend when school is over and I'm busy getting RICKETY WRECKED SON

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Can I just get a Tv with an HDMI port and plug this directly into it? Or maybe just a monitor with hdmi? Planing on using it with Freetime and parental controls for when the wife wants to watch tv and the kids are fighting over it to. Hoping there are some amazon controller games the girls will like to play then it's basically a cheap console for <5 yr olds.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Got a Chromecast for 23 bucks on Cyber Monday; arrived this morning and I had it operational in 5 minutes. Now streaming Twitch.tv on my 55' living room tv. Feels good. Would recommend.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Can I just get a Tv with an HDMI port and plug this directly into it? Or maybe just a monitor with hdmi? Planing on using it with Freetime and parental controls for when the wife wants to watch tv and the kids are fighting over it to. Hoping there are some amazon controller games the girls will like to play then it's basically a cheap console for <5 yr olds.
Just one of the ones I ordered today.

First plugged it into the tv downstairs(couple year old 32 inch emerson) and it would not turn on without using the wall adapter. On my tv(5 year old 42 inch LG) it still needed the usb cable but it worked off the one on my tv so didnt need the wall adapter, though it still gave me the message to plug it into the wall for best performance. Also it had problems with my 5ghz network while downstairs so had to switch over to the 2.4 but when I took it up stairs and in the same room as my router it used 5ghz np.

Havent used it much but aside from that pretty slick little device and setup was a breeze besides those two issues. Only other possible issue/bug ive seen so far is youtube app, it plays HD video but the framerate is kinda screwy it looks like so no idea if thats due to not using the walla adapter, the app or my network. It will stream fine but it looks like the fps will jump back and forth from 30 to 60.

Gorillaz_sl

shitlord
So, it seems pretty good. But the WIFI connection is sort of meh. Either that or I've finally overloaded my router with the billion gadgets I have.

I had an incident yesterday where my FireTV Stick got disconnected from my wifi and wouldn't reconnect until a hard reboot. I had it connected to the 5ghz radio, and it wouldn't even switch to the 2.4ghz one. After I put in the password, the networking screen said 'Connected with problems', although my other devices were functioning normally.

Not sure if it's an isolated incident or not, but I'll be keeping an eye out for it in the future.

Gorillaz_sl

shitlord
I had an incident yesterday where my FireTV Stick got disconnected from my wifi and wouldn't reconnect until a hard reboot. I had it connected to the 5ghz radio, and it wouldn't even switch to the 2.4ghz one. After I put in the password, the networking screen said 'Connected with problems', although my other devices were functioning normally.

Not sure if it's an isolated incident or not, but I'll be keeping an eye out for it in the future.
I've had to do a few hard reboots. And retype passwords. It's kind of annoying.

Yeah, was a bit frustrating as it happened during the middle of playback of a movie in the Plex app, so there was definitely active network traffic when it happened.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
My order got bumped up again and has now shipped, expected to get here in the 17th. How has it been working so far for the folks who have one already?

Tenks

I'm having issues as well. I can get the stick to connect to my WiFi but I cannot get it to accept my Amazon authos to login to my account. Has anyone seen this issue and any way to resolve?

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Mine delivered today. Will check it out when I get home.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I'm having issues as well. I can get the stick to connect to my WiFi but I cannot get it to accept my Amazon authos to login to my account. Has anyone seen this issue and any way to resolve?
I was under the impression that this came already configured for your account, was that not the case?

Tenks

I was under the impression that this came already configured for your account, was that not the case?
It appears like it was supposed to but no mine was not. I had to open a CS ticket about the issue and their response is basically unregister/register the stick and reboot it and try again.