Fleet GPS Trackers

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
My thoughts are. How will this help protect you on the weekend if it's phone driven? That means the driver has to leave an Iphone in the equipment over the weekend, which will be a high theft item. Also has to have it keep power to it over the weekend.

I know some people with Lowjack on their cars, 1 it even saved after being stolen. Looks like they do fleet services also. I have no idea of price, but thought I would toss the link in here.http://www.lojack.com/Construction-and-Fleet
The GPS tracker is not in the phone, the phones are just used to monitor the position of the trucks. There is an additional device in the truck that stays in there, or at least that is my assumption.

Corndog

Lord Nagafen Raider
As for smart phones android. I'd recommend ting wireless. Girlfriend and I are very light data users, which this app would be. If this was a work only phone, you could probably have most people on the crew with a phone and all share the mins/data for like $100 a month. Our cell bill dropped from 90 to $42 a month now.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Lyrical is bitching about employees stealing though, keeping track of the odometer is as simple as it gets and would stop what he is fearful of.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Lyrical is bitching about employees stealing though, keeping track of the odometer is as simple as it gets and would stop what he is fearful of.
Security from external threats is also an issue, as well as being able to show we are safe drivers in case of accident. No lawyer can tell me we are speeding when that is all monitored by a third party. As I said earlier, it will help me reroute drivers during the day. I can actually send new jobs from the app straight to their GPS. And if they can't hear their phones over the equipment, I'll just be 20 minutes from them.

To answer a previous question, the price is $30-60 a month per.

Killswitch

N00b
http://virtualfleetsupervisor.comis what my brother in law uses. Its not cheap but the costs that it has saved him outweighed it. You can customize a lot of stuff like scheduled work times, speed limits and maintenance. Its pretty sweet and lets you know if a vehicle has been stopped and how long. For the equipment he uses Lowjack on the heavy stuff.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Having a detailed log with time stamps and reports looks a lot better if you end up in court or fight unemployment.
I know a guy who works at a large law firm here that is built around suing businesses with commercial trucks for millions. They work all day to find cases like this. They look at any accident with a commercial truck as an opportunity to hit the lottery. It's going to be hard for them to claim your guy was speeding, or ran a red light when you can tell up to the millisecond what happened.

I'll check out that service you said, thanks.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Yup. Exactly what my software will provide:

2pq4c8y.jpg

*work-in-progress

It will tally totals at the top

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Security from external threats is also an issue, as well as being able to show we are safe drivers in case of accident. No lawyer can tell me we are speeding when that is all monitored by a third party. As I said earlier, it will help me reroute drivers during the day. I can actually send new jobs from the app straight to their GPS. And if they can't hear their phones over the equipment, I'll just be 20 minutes from them.

To answer a previous question, the price is $30-60 a month per.
Plus it'll make the inevitable move toward automated laborers easier if you can just communicate to them via nmea sentences.

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
I currently use Fleetmatics in five trucks. Im going to get rid of it once the contract expires but not because i am not satisfied with fleetmatics. Long story, getting rid of employees for install crews and switching to sub contractors and dont need to monitor the few actual employees i have left. Fleetmatics has alot of potential if you want to invest the time in it. In addition to spying on your plebs you can use it to keep track of when your trucks need oil changes, inspected, registration renewed etc. You can also get alerts when they go over a certain MPH and it keeps track of time spent idling and a ton of other features that i never used.
Not sure what industry you're in but it has also helped me with an occasional billing dispute. Customer call up bitching because they agreed to a $400 dollar contract and say we were only there for 15 minutes. "Well Mr.Dickless, Fleetmatics says our technician left the shop at 12:17. We arrived at your piece of shit trailer at 12:43 and left your home at 2:17. Now kindly go fuck yourself."

Madikus

Knows nothing.
Sorry of this was already posted - TLDR thread and trolling, so just going to add my input.

We use Networkfleet on about 600 trucks in our fleet. You can get every possible detail you want out of the reporting. Quick starts, quick stops, speed thresholds, etc. Connects directly to your trucks diagnostic port. I don't manage this aspect of the business, but I know they have used it for years and love it.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I currently use Fleetmatics in five trucks. Im going to get rid of it once the contract expires but not because i am not satisfied with fleetmatics. Long story, getting rid of employees for install crews and switching to sub contractors and dont need to monitor the few actual employees i have left. Fleetmatics has alot of potential if you want to invest the time in it. In addition to spying on your plebs you can use it to keep track of when your trucks need oil changes, inspected, registration renewed etc. You can also get alerts when they go over a certain MPH and it keeps track of time spent idling and a ton of other features that i never used.
Not sure what industry you're in but it has also helped me with an occasional billing dispute. Customer call up bitching because they agreed to a $400 dollar contract and say we were only there for 15 minutes. "Well Mr.Dickless, Fleetmatics says our technician left the shop at 12:17. We arrived at your piece of shit trailer at 12:43 and left your home at 2:17. Now kindly go fuck yourself."
We have equipment that can only be used 1,000 hours before servicing, but there is no odometer. That would help, as also minimize how much tracking the guys need to do on the trucks. As soon as you go over, you get an alarm. And yeah, we have had cases where a customer tries to claim we weren't there as long as we should have been. We bill on an hourly basis, one time one lady kept the guys out at her house for two more days than agreed upon. She went almost 4k above the original bid, and then tried to worm out of it.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I don't know if you ever came up with a solution to this or not, but I stumbled upon this little gizmo and it might do what you need plus it might help with some extra expense tracking.
http://www.automatic.com/
I haven't made a final decision, I have a lot of stuff going on, and we have a lot of new guys we hired that have no experience with the equipment. So we are training non stop right now. I will take a look, thanks.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm going with NextTraq. All I have to do is sign the contract and they'll ship me two units. I'll try it out on two of the trucks, if it's bug free, go to others. This week, we were worried about having to do lots of emergency clean up, and had to sit there waiting on the guys to call us back (hours later). Emergency work comes first, insurance companies will agree on almost any price to mitigate damage. Instead of losing a job, we'll be able to see whatever job they are on in real time from our smartphones, and reroute them.