Flu Outbreak

Silence_sl

shitlord
I completely spaced getting the shot...and now I have the flu. Luckily, most of the symptoms are mild, save for my brain feeling like it's been vacuum packed.

Ah well, it's a really good excuse to hermit for a while and watch movies.

Stone_sl

shitlord
I swear I only get the flu when I tell someone I rarely get the flu.

So I ain't sayin' shit. Now I need a pinch of salt and some wood to knock on.

iannis

Musty Nester
Had the flu this year. Get it about once every three years -- with or without vaccinations.

This years was ok. It only took about four days from fever back to fine. Pretty mild. It's those two week flu's that suck.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
36,000 deaths. 311 million people. Excuse me for not feeling that this is of grave importance here. And I'm just gonna hazard a guess that a good chunk of those 36k weren't people who were healthy as an ox one day and then the flu whooped their ass and sent them packing to Valhalla either.

My problem with the flu vaccine is that it's a complete fucking guess as to what strains are gonna be going around, and then treated like it's a matter of national security that everyone gets it. I think I'm gonna have to pass on the hysteria after swine flu, bird flu and SARS all ended up being nothing more than a flash in the pan. But hey, lemme know when a real pandemic hits.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
36,000 deaths. 311 million people. Excuse me for not feeling that this is of grave importance here. And I'm just gonna hazard a guess that a good chunk of those 36k weren't people who were healthy as an ox one day and then the flu whooped their ass and sent them packing to Valhalla either.

My problem with the flu vaccine is that it's a complete fucking guess as to what strains are gonna be going around, and then treated like it's a matter of national security that everyone gets it. I think I'm gonna have to pass on the hysteria after swine flu, bird flu and SARS all ended up being nothing more than a flash in the pan. But hey, lemme know when a real pandemic hits.
Of course most people who die from the flu aren't dying from *only* the flu. But it exacerbates the shit out of many other problems, such as congestive heart failure and COPD. You take a patient who is barely compensating with their heart failure, and then toss an influenza on top, now you've exacerbated their heart failure, they become hypoxic, go into acute renal failure, don't perfuse their brain, etc, and die. Similarly, the elderly without other co-morbidities can die from the flu.

But this is why herd immunity to the flu is important, and why it's so important for the sick and the elderly to get vaccinated with both the flu and pneumococcus vaccines. Sure, the flu vaccine isn't near perfect, but it prevents tons and tons of flu related deaths each year. It's not "snake oil" by any means, and calling it such is ignorant. It's a lot more than just a "guess" at which strains will be the most prevalent. It's based on epidemiological data, etc. The fact that the media blew certain "pandemics" out of proportion is in no related to the seasonal flu.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Sounds like the flu has this death panel thing all worked out for us then. It's reducing health care costs in the long run taking care of the sick and the elderly.

I'm well aware of what the flu vaccine is based off and how it's built. That does absolutely nothing to contradict the fact that it's one of the fastest mutating viruses out there right now. It's a complete and total crap shoot, and when and if it ever does become a REAL problem, the vaccine is gonna do exactly jack and shit about it.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
This is what the Internet has done to us. Everyone's a fucking expert, everyone knows better than "those morons."

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
This is what the Internet has done to us. Everyone's a fucking expert, everyone knows better than "those morons."
I never referred to anyone as a moron, but nice insinuation.

I said it's overblown and unnecessary. The government never does anything that's overblown and unnecessary, does it?

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Yup. It's exactly why I try to not post in medical related threads, because I feel compelled to correct someone who doesn't know anything. It's only a matter of time before someone comes in this thread and tells us all that if we just stopped eating gluten we would no longer have any viruses.

To be a complete retard, it's pretty interesting that someone would say "nah, fuck the flu! it only kills 36,000 per year!" And we'd never make it mandatory to get the vaccine, but yet we want to ban all assault rifles because they are used by psychopaths to commit a very very very very minor proportion of gun-related murders each year.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
To be a complete retard, it's pretty interesting that someone would say "nah, fuck the flu! it only kills 36,000 per year!" And we'd never make it mandatory to get the vaccine, but yet we want to ban all assault rifles because they are used by psychopaths to commit a very very very very minor proportion of gun-related murders each year.
And you don't find me making that claim either, do you?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I never referred to anyone as a moron, but nice insinuation.

I said it's overblown and unnecessary. The government never does anything that's overblown and unnecessary, does it?
What other insinuation would one make from that? People devote their lives to studying virology and pathology and then you or whoever summarily dismisses the entire body of scientific work behind it for whatever reason, because you know better. If I ever met a layman who read a couple of articles on the internet and managed to outclass every single scientist in a given field, I would probably think those scientists were morons. Either that or we're dealing with a next level genius here.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
What other insinuation would one make from that? People devote their lives to studying virology and pathology and then you or whoever summarily dismisses the entire body of scientific work behind it for whatever reason, because you know better. If I ever met a layman who read a couple of articles on the internet and managed to outclass every single scientist in a given field, I would probably think those scientists were morons. Either that or we're dealing with a next level genius here.
I'm not against science, you should know that. I'm against science that leads to sketchy, overblown conclusions. Here, lets slow it down for you so you understand.

Flu virus mutates very quickly. Any argument on that? No?

Flu virus changes very drastically from year to year, and is basically a crap shoot as to which strains are going to be prevalent. Any argument on that? No?

Flu shot is a guess as to what strains are going to be prevalent this year. Any argument on that? No?

Flu doesn't pose a serious health risk to the vast vast vast vast vast majority of the population.

Flu shots effectiveness hovers around 50%, and may be significantly worse from year to year. '03-'04 vaccine didn't do fuck all for anyone. Documented fact.

There is an inherent risk in putting anything in your body.

Look, I fucking "get" vaccines, probably more than anyone else here. The MMR vaccine I received as a baby damned near fucking killed me. I was in the hospital for a long time and it wasn't clear I was gonna make it through. Unfortunately for you people, I did. Now there's a high probability that whatever did that to me wasn't the vaccine itself, but was instead a byproduct or a component of making said vaccine. That being said, there's no way I can risk ever getting another booster shot, which means the next time measles rears it's ugly head in this country (as a result of dipshits who believe Jenny McCarthy's bullshit), I am in serious fucking trouble. I understand completely the risks associated with very deadly disease and vaccinations. But if you want me to give a shit about a flu vaccine, you're gonna need to do a lot fucking better than 50% and it's gonna need to be alot more of a health risk to me to justify me trusting a pharmaceutical company injecting me with random bullshit again.

You act like the science on this is cut and dry and that this is a guaranteed benefit with no risk. I disagree with your assessment, and that in no way makes me a moron, no does it imply that you are one. I simply disagree with the risk and benefits provided by said vaccine at this time.

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
Scrolled by the post that mentioned this but if you work a job that gives you sick days....motherfuckers stay home!!! Working a government job, I shouldn't be amazed at the mouthbreathers in the workplace but dammit the number of people that show up sick well...sickens me. Literally and figuratively. Stay the fuck home. You're not a trooper for toughening it out and coming to work. You're just a goddamn germ and virus incubator that will infects everyone else. There got that off my chest. Thanks!

Blide_sl

shitlord
I'll stay home if I feel like crap or am coughing and sneezing constantly. However it bugs me when people bitch at me for being at work when I don't sound 100% well. I mean this lady next to me has been bitching at me for well over a week just because I have some lingering symptoms from a sinus infection I had over New Years. I'm not going to stay home when I feel fine or go to the doctor when I clearly have a virus. As long as I'm not in your face and am using hand sanitizer, just leave me be in my cube.

niss_sl

shitlord
If the vaccine is total shit and has no effect than why do so many countries around the world supply the vaccinefree of chargeto anyone that wants?

Put on the tinfoil hat before you answer that.

Obtenor_sl

shitlord
Everyone has an elderly grandma/grandpa and a young nephew/niece/cousin. If you aren't getting it for yourself, get the flu shot for them.
This.

Getting flu shots (and others like whooping cough) as an adult doesn't necessarily mean they're for you; rather, for your loved ones: children and elderly. It's called herd immunity; stop being an ass and get your damn vaccines