Follow my heart or follow my head/wallet

McFly

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Well, I sent a declination letter out for this position. Worded in such a way that's not ambiguous nor too harsh. Hopefully that will at least keep me in the talent pool. Thanks for everyone who took time to comment in this thread. I know it can be hard to solicit opinions from this site, but with your help and my own opinions I was able to make this decision.

Even if the voiceover pursuit doesn't "pan out", I'm still having a blast recording for people who like the sound of my voice. I didn't think I would enjoy learning the technical aspects as much but that's turning out to be much more enjoyable than I thought.

I've been working with a person who makes these youtube videos for kids. It's call Simple History and it's been fun to watch these projects develop. Even though the animation is basic, the scripts are rough, and production quality isn't that high, it's been fun doing the voice for these.

/shamless plug for these viedos.Simple History YouTube Channel

I'm only ~2 months into this whole endeavor and it's been great every day I do it. I'm learning about the process and getting criticism, feeback, and opinions. There will always be the naysayers and people who derive schadenfreude from others misfortune. All I know is, I will continue to enjoy it in the foreseeable future.

Once again, thanks to those that contributed to this thread. You helped a person in need and allowed him to find an answer.
smile.png

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Well, I sent a declination letter out for this position. Worded in such a way that's not ambiguous nor too harsh. Hopefully that will at least keep me in the talent pool. Thanks for everyone who took time to comment in this thread. I know it can be hard to solicit opinions from this site, but with your help and my own opinions I was able to make this decision.
I'm disappointed at the lack of rapiness. Otherwise, not bad.

Why do you want to solicit opinions from the site? While I find it interesting, there are too many mouthbreathers like Vinen on here that will post dumbshit.

McFly

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I'm disappointed at the lack of rapiness. Otherwise, not bad.

Why do you want to solicit opinions from the site? While I find it interesting, there are too many mouthbreathers like Vinen on here that will post dumbshit.
My super power is knowing how to filter that shit. I've come to the conclusion that the demographic represented on this site is something that is valuable to me. To be fair even the mouthbreathers can bring up some valid points.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
My super power is knowing how to filter that shit. I've come to the conclusion that the demographic represented on this site is something that is valuable to me. To be fair even the mouthbreathers can bring up some valid points.
As long as your future options are open, you should feel free to do as you like. Keeping option value open is a finance term, but still applies. When you close your options off, is when it gets tougher. You said you are having fun, so enjoy. Look at it as a hobby. If it doesn't pan out, you had fun. At least ten years from now, you won't be asking yourself what you could have done.

I always tell to this to my employees. Life is short, if you aren't having fun, go someplace you will. Money doesn't make one happy.

I never have listened to naysayers. Hell, when I stepped away from a good paying job to be self-employed, everyone I knew thought I was crazy. But I make more now, and I control my schedule. I love the empowerment of being self-employed and not owned by corporate overlords. From the time I contracted on the company, people kept telling me it would flop. The loans are almost paid off now, and we never missed any payments.

The problem with listening to people tell you your future prospects, is that they are almost always lower than they should be.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Speaking as someone who went from making $80k a year working a very half-assed 40 hour week to running a business where I now pay myself under $30k a year (and it was less when I started) and work twice as much there's more to life than money. I am passionate about what I do now and it's much more satisfying and so much easier to work hard at.

Can you do voice-over from Rhode Island? I'm sure you can do a lot of shit online these days but it seems like you might need to be in LA or NY or somewhere that productions are going on at some point?

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Can you do voice-over from Rhode Island? I'm sure you can do a lot of shit online these days but it seems like you might need to be in LA or NY or somewhere that productions are going on at some point?
I'm all about McFly chasing his dream but uprooting like that seems like putting the cart infront of the horse. If he gets a ton of offers and opportunities taht require his physical presence there then thats great. Move. But to just move maybe a bit rushed. I assume voice work isn't like traditional acting roles where you need to do in-person auditions. I'm sure just submitting voice work over the internet would suffice because they don't care if you look like a cave troll or how your physical mannerisms are for a part.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I'm all about McFly chasing his dream but uprooting like that seems like putting the cart infront of the horse. If he gets a ton of offers and opportunities taht require his physical presence there then thats great. Move. But to just move maybe a bit rushed. I assume voice work isn't like traditional acting roles where you need to do in-person auditions. I'm sure just submitting voice work over the internet would suffice because they don't care if you look like a cave troll or how your physical mannerisms are for a part.
If there's one thing every show business story has in common its that they just picked up and moved to LA and waited tables or whatever until they got a break. And sometimes it took years.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I would inquire as to how much overtime you'll be expected to put in at the new position.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah I think I would want to at least have demonstrated that I can make money at it before moving and it sounds like that's what he is planning. I was just asking if that is something that might have to happen down the road.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
If there's one thing every show business story has in common its that they just picked up and moved to LA and waited tables or whatever until they got a break. And sometimes it took years.
Go back and re-read the link on the woman that has been selling 10k+ a month in fees please. There's no reason why he can't test the waters by using online avenues first. If it takes off, then he can take it from there. If it doesn't happen online, it probably won't happen, but at least that is a way of him limiting his risk.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I would inquire as to how much overtime you'll be expected to put in at the new position.
He already addressed that saying 60-70 hr weeks. I believe it is salary so not technically "overtime" in the overtime sense. Like I said what he is talking about feels pretty similar to a area manager when I worked at best buy and those guys made good money but holy fuck it was like working two jobs.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
He already addressed that saying 60-70 hr weeks. I believe it is salary so not technically "overtime" in the overtime sense. Like I said what he is talking about feels pretty similar to a area manager when I worked at best buy and those guys made good money but holy fuck it was like working two jobs.
When I was an Area Manager, you were expected to work 12 hours a day, minimum. Some work weeks were 100+ hours easily, and nobody gave a damn if you were tired. And no OT was paid. If you weren't working, your phone was to be on at all times, and you were expected to check VME/email every hour on the hour. You had to pay a cost to be the boss. It was part of the deal, and you understood that they had hundreds of people lined up who wanted your job. I knew that at any given time, there were thousands of people who worked in call centers, or were trainees, that they were grooming to take your spot. I'd go to a call center, and people would walk up to me and tell they wanted my spot, or ask how I got it.

McFly

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
For the most part you can. Depending on the level you want to reach. Using programs like Source Connect I can record from my home studio anywhere in the world. So the need to be in NY/LA is minor. Relocating would constitute a major contract from a SAG/AFTRA agent (something I don't see happening for me until 3-5+ years from today)

I'm presently going through a self-imposed learning phase which will last 4-6 months, where I will learn about all aspects of the trade, marketing, business etc. My short term goal is to make $xxxx by a certain date. Whether through Fiverr (which is looking like it might be the way to go) or through pay to play sites like Voices.com and Voices123.com -- I'm exploring my options at the moment. I have made money doing this already this year so I know that with the right amount of time and effort it will pay off for me.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
For the most part you can. Depending on the level you want to reach. Using programs like Source Connect I can record from my home studio anywhere in the world. So the need to be in NY/LA is minor. Relocating would constitute a major contract from a SAG/AFTRA agent (something I don't see happening for me until 3-5+ years from today)

I'm presently going through a self-imposed learning phase which will last 4-6 months, where I will learn about all aspects of the trade, marketing, business etc. My short term goal is to make $xxxx by a certain date. Whether through Fiverr (which is looking like it might be the way to go) or through pay to play sites like Voices.com and Voices123.com -- I'm exploring my options at the moment. I have made money doing this already this year so I know that with the right amount of time and effort it will pay off for me.
Good on you.