Foo Fighters - Sonic Highways

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Sounds like all the time spent hanging out with Josh Homme has had a profound impact on Grohl's music. This is a pretty sweet track. A documentary on the making of this album aired on HBO the other night. Plan on watching that today.

Feien

Ploppers
I love how Grohl is always looking for new things to do. The track is great, and it also seems like they are getting better and better at giving each of the 3 guitars a voice. Looking forward to the rest of the documentary.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I can't be the only one who thought they were emulating part of Holy Diver like the entire song, am I? My brain kept adding in the other notes all the time. Great stuff, just disconcerting for me personally.

rasstapp_sl

shitlord
I can't be the only one who thought they were emulating part of Holy Diver like the entire song, am I? My brain kept adding in the other notes all the time. Great stuff, just disconcerting for me personally.
Nope it's the exact same riff up until it breaks up and starts over, good stuff though.

Barab

Silver Knight of the Realm
lot of respect to steve albini, they recorded the song in his studio, plus his most recent current band shellac kicks some major ass

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>
Listened to this a couple of times today, not Dave's best work IMO. The music is solid but Dave just doesn't sound like he has the same energy as usual. And only 8 tracks? I thought most bands these days were recording 20 or so and then slimming that down to 12-15. Having only 8 makes it seem like they only spend 2-3 days in a studio and said "Fuck it, were good. Send it out."

Xevy

Log Wizard
Listened to this a couple of times today, not Dave's best work IMO. The music is solid but Dave just doesn't sound like he has the same energy as usual. And only 8 tracks? I thought most bands these days were recording 20 or so and then slimming that down to 12-15. Having only 8 makes it seem like they only spend 2-3 days in a studio and said "Fuck it, were good. Send it out."
They recorded each track in a different studio in a different city with a 1 week timetable for each. So yeah, it was rushed. I think 3-4 of the songs are decent, and the last few just seem too 'feely' for a good Foo song. There were also times where the actual instrumentals are ramping up to something awesome and then there's just a bit of a letdown, like Zack Brown's playing in Congregation at 3:30ish mark, but it never leads to anything big.

Definitely not nearly as good as Wasting Light, but that album was very Dave and very rad.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Listened to the album a few times now. It's pretty typical of a Foo Fighters album in that I think it has a few excellent tracks, mostly decent to good tracks, and then a couple stinkers (I Am A River? Seriously?).