Fortitude: American Resilience in the Era of Outrage by Dan Crenshaw

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
So, my mother had this book mailed to me. My mother hadn't suggested a book since the Bible when I was a kid. So it got my attention. That and I believe Dan Crenshaw is one of the most level headed, even-keeled, intelligent, articulate, well-spoken persons in politics today (and makes me worried he's going to die in a horrific traffic "accident"). The dude is also a complete badass. He lost an eye to an IUD while serving as a Navy fuckin' Seal, the other made blind, then recovered through surgery by amazing American doctors, before he went on to serve for two more tours. If the Dems can't pull their thumbs out of their asses to handle the pendulum swinging back their direction by 2023 -- CRENSHAW 2024.

This book was published in April 2020, just before George Floyd. Which makes the points in it hit even harder. Here are a couple of excerpts.

"It's a peculiar thought, this notion that if only you were sufficiently informed, aware, and woke, that you would have a duty to exhibit an intense state of fury. The apocalyptic nature of our unjust reality must surely enrage you. It must! Not only that, but once you've achieved an enlightened state of madness, then you must stay that way. Perhaps forever.

Being a normal person with normal concerns, you may read those headlines with healthy skepticism if not outright confusion. Don't we live in the most prosperous nation on earth with a quality of life and freedoms that are the envy of the world? But, respond the outraged, this is just proof you aren't paying attention! If you only knew the true depths of disaster, despair, and injustice in our midst, you'd rush to join the mob in righteous cultural warfare, scream slogans in solidarity, march arm-in-arm to cancel those who disobey, destroy the careers of those who misspeak, and pile on those who dare to defend anything other than outrage orthodoxy."

"Let's define our terms. What do I mean by "outrage'"? It is a specific term with a specific meaning. Not all forms of outrage are always unjustified -- far from it. There is such a thing as righteous indignation. This book is not about 'proper outrage,' stemming from real tragedy or wrongdoing or injustice. This is not a book about overcoming true grief. It is about outrage culture, and the newfound tendency to reflexively assume the worst of intentions when reacting to news or commentary or political discourse, and default into an emotionally driven hatred of the "other," whoever that may be. It is the petty, weak-minded, and ultimately unproductive response to our neighbors, fellow citizens, and political opponents that has been normalized and even elevated in our culture."

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Garbage
Reactions: 2 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I generally don't care for Crenshaw, he's had his moments but w/e, I'd be interested to see a book on this topic from outside the political realm though. Tons of people engage in this kind of behavior he is describing from time to time, topic to topic. I've even seen Crenshaw do it. But the people who live it 24/7, something's got to be wrong with them I am sure. Just staying that fucking aggro all the time has to be terrible for you. And how can these people hold a job when they're busy policing fucking twitter all day or whatever it is they do?

• 1Garbage
Reactions: 1 user

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I generally don't care for Crenshaw, he's had his moments but w/e, I'd be interested to see a book on this topic from outside the political realm though. Tons of people engage in this kind of behavior he is describing from time to time, topic to topic. I've even seen Crenshaw do it. But the people who live it 24/7, something's got to be wrong with them I am sure. Just staying that fucking aggro all the time has to be terrible for you. And how can these people hold a job when they're busy policing fucking twitter all day or whatever it is they do?
lol what job...

• 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Garbage
Reactions: 3 users

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Thanks for the heads up. Just bought the audio book and looking forward to it.

• 1Like

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
...I believe Dan Crenshaw is one of the most level headed, even-keeled, intelligent, articulate, well-spoken persons in politics today (and makes me worried he's going to die in a horrific traffic "accident"). The dude is also a complete badass. He lost an eye to an IUD while serving as a Navy fuckin' Seal, the other made blind, then recovered through surgery by amazing American doctors, before he went on to serve for two more tours.

Can you imagine a better story?

A young man raised right goes off into the dangerous parts of the world in order to fight against the enemies of his civilization. He sacrifices his eye and his youthful purity through war and returns to our civilization to bestow upon us the truths that he has learned.

That's like the oldest story of mankind. Guy could get elected just by telling his own life story.

American Odin for President 2024

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I finished listening to this the other day. It’s well written and narrated. I struggled to get through it after the first couple chapters as his message overlaps heavily with Jordan Peterson’s philosophy and world view. Nonetheless, I appreciated the effort.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
Yeah, I thought it was just fine and I'm a fan of Crenshaw's. Solid read about managing yourself better and was pretty able to plow through but it's nothing amazing.

• 1Like

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I will say that Crenshaw provided me with some insight into my own mannerisms and world view regarding how I respond to inconveniences. My wife loves to tease me about how I am a total a bitch over small inconveniences but suffer major catastrophes stoically and without complaint. I’d never put much thought into why that is. From age 19-23 I was a paratrooper and then a West Point cadet and experienced a very similar culture of Crenshaw’s description of the Seals. I couldn’t tell you how many times I heard the phrase “you’re fucked up right now. Unfuck yourself” (not always directed at me!). Much of those chapters were nostalgic (not necessarily in a good way lol).

Anyway, I didn’t mean to imply that I didn’t like the book. If I’d read it three years ago I’d have thought it uniquely profound. He just has the misfortune of seeming to echo the sorts of philosophers to which I gravitate.

• 1Like

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
He just has the misfortune of seeming to echo the sorts of philosophers to which I gravitate.

Who does he seem to echo? I've thought about getting this book and if this guy is throwing around some Jungian philosophy it would seal the deal for me.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Who does he seem to echo? I've thought about getting this book and if this guy is throwing around some Jungian philosophy it would seal the deal for me.
Echoes a lot of Jordan Peterson - tend to what you can control, rack up small wins, suffer stoically, etc. He frames it around how kids these days are being taught that moral outrage and victimhood are virtuous and systematically debunks that way of thinking and how to reframe events in your own mind so that you’re not a victim.

• 1Solidarity

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Echoes a lot of Jordan Peterson - tend to what you can control, rack up small wins, suffer stoically, etc. He frames it around how kids these days are being taught that moral outrage and victimhood are virtuous and systematically debunks that way of thinking and how to reframe events in your own mind so that you’re not a victim.

Thanks for the info. I'm on board.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
1598497691611.png

• 1Picard
  • 1Garbage
Reactions: 1 users

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
The ironic thing is the book would be exceptionally insightful to someone like Mist.

• 2Like

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
My wife loves to tease me about how I am a total a bitch over small inconveniences but suffer major catastrophes stoically and without complaint. I’d never put much thought into why that is.
This describes me to a tee. I've always ascribed it to the minor inconveniences being someones fault and life changing disasters are just dumb luck. It's hard to be angry about something when there is no one at fault.

• 2Solidarity

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This describes me to a tee. I've always ascribed it to the minor inconveniences being someones fault and life changing disasters are just dumb luck. It's hard to be angry about something when there is no one at fault.

Is it my birthday?

I get jaw-clicking angry over the littlest things, like my students showing up to class 15 minutes earlier or the train being 2 minutes late. I also hit my hit against the open cabinet door the other day and thought about punching my neighbor. No connection between the two things.

But the Corona Virus kept me from moving back to America for (at least) 3 months, and I just took it. Missed my girlfriend's birthday. Missed my nana's birthday. Haven't seen my dog in 3 years. Just shrugged it off.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
Is it my birthday?

I get jaw-clicking angry over the littlest things, like my students showing up to class 15 minutes earlier or the train being 2 minutes late. I also hit my hit against the open cabinet door the other day and thought about punching my neighbor. No connection between the two things.

But the Corona Virus kept me from moving back to America for (at least) 3 months, and I just took it. Missed my girlfriend's birthday. Missed my nana's birthday. Haven't seen my dog in 3 years. Just shrugged it off.
You sound like you need therapy.

• 1Like