Fraud/Identity Theft on Verizon Account

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Last week I go to an authorized Verizon retailer, nice newer store that opened this year. The staff was great, the guy said he worked for Verizon corporate before and knew the loopholes to swap my upgrades around lines and not lose my grandfathered unlimited data plan. Everything went great. I did notice that he asked for my full social security number to access my account, which struck me as kind of weird but it was a legit place so whatever.

Yesterday I start getting all kinds of texts about changes to my account, password gets changed, can't log into the website. Service reps were beyond useless, I think they were weekend call center reps and said their computers were all down, and fraud department was closed on Sunday. However my data plan got changed so I was raging since I fully expected to get screwed on getting my unlimited back. They did tell me that someone had accessed my account on the automated line and used my name, phone number and last four of social to do so.

Got a better rep and fraud on line today. Got my data fixed, turns out they added three new lines all with iPhones. I got a pic of the lines on the website once I could log back in. My account now requires a password not just last four of social and name. Got fraud control to wipe out those lines and reverse any charges that would come up on my October billing from the activations.

However, everyone I've talked to at Verizon outright denies they can do anything to track the culprit. They get really tight lipped and rude when I push that issue. I don't know if that's some kind of policy or what. They insist they have no way of knowing what number called in to access my account, I don't understand if they mean it was somehow dialed in as if it was from my number or they literally don't have a record of what number called. The latter sounds absurd to me, you're the fucking phone company and you don't know who called you? Not to mention, did you send somebody three iPhones or was that what they were going for? Did they not put in an address?

I have the three phone numbers on the added lines, 347 area codes which is apparently an NYC landline code? I don't really want to try calling the numbers and I don't know that it would do any good, unless somehow this was done at a store and physically got the phones, but they are off my account and for all I know deactivated now anyway.

I'm not like out for revenge and hoping to see someone prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law or anything, I'm honestly just relieved to have my unlimited data back and to have this resolved after being stressed out and on hold/on the phone yesterday with no info. But it still sucks not knowing how this happened or where it came from. I started going back in my mind trying to think of where I might have punched in my social or last four online and I can't think of anything except that cell phone store. Its possible I did put it in a website and forget where, I guess. I was traveling north up past Philly and into the Poconos and back this weekend, not sure if my info could have gotten phished somewhere somehow?

Mainly just wondering if anyone has experience with this and/or inside info on Verizon or cell companies and how this shit goes down and gets handled.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
There a chance someone in the store was listening a little too closely?

I'd make sure to check all of your other accounts and monitor your credit rating.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I would also pursue checking out your credit reports just to make sure there aren't any unauthorized account openings there either. If you haven't gotten your free annual reports just do that (https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp), if you have, Verizon should be able to authorize you getting free reports via their fraud department (although is may take several aggravating phone calls to make it happen).

If somebody did overhear/steal your SSN they can just as easily start opening credit cards in your name as they could use it to get new iphones.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm not sure, but I think there was one other sales rep working with an older couple on the other side of the room. None of whom seemed like the type, but who knows. They weren't that close and I did lower my voice some but I guess that's possible. And yeah I guess I'll have to keep an eye out for CC shit.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
In my experience, it is usually the employees stealing the info and then they are selling the info, not using it themselves to open shit in your name. Not that I have a ton of experience with this sort of thing however, I am by no means an expert.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Agreed. Someone at smokey bones up here stole my brothers debit card number and sold it to someone online.