Fresh Shadowbane server September 6

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The glory days of Shadowbane were BEFORE the popularity of ventrillo/teamspeak.
I remember using maybe Roger Wilco (software) - Wikipedia ??? back in Shadowbane beta. This was with PRX, Covenant of Swords etc. I'm pretty sure all the top forces used some form of VOIP. Shit I remember voice-chat being the primary communication in my CounterStrike crew back in CStrike beta in the 90s.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
You can pretty easily cobble together a ganker char and find some common times with other dadquesters to raise a tree of life and raise some hell

There's a game outside of 24-7 no life take over entire map, and it's quite good

In fact, most of those types will leave the lil unwalled dadquest cities alone until u talk serious shit
Telling me I can casually play a PvP MMO is like telling a recovered meth addict they can just take a hit at parties. I only feel alive when it's 72 hours after a release and I've only slept when the server was down. I'm either winning the game by ruining the server through destruction of all opposition or I'm losing.

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
I remember using maybe Roger Wilco (software) - Wikipedia ??? back in Shadowbane beta. This was with PRX, Covenant of Swords etc. I'm pretty sure all the top forces used some form of VOIP. Shit I remember voice-chat being the primary communication in my CounterStrike crew back in CStrike beta in the 90s.

Next you are going to tell me everyone was on voicechat in 1999 EQ and UO.

Yes some were using them, but this was the transition period. Most still were not. Voicechat (used enmass) "broke" the balance of the different (most) Shadowbane builds (and most other forms of PVP in other games).

"pvp" turned into the disgusting train of assist its been every since.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Next you are going to tell me everyone was on voicechat in 1999 EQ and UO.

Yes some were using them, but this was the transition period. Most still were not. Voicechat (used enmass) "broke" the balance of the different (most) Shadowbane builds (and most other forms of PVP in other games).

"pvp" turned into the disgusting train of assist its been every since.
Can't speak to EQ/UO in 1999, but yeah I remember voice chatting in games in 1999 with Roger Wilco, Gamespy etc. Back in '99 my counterstrike clan had 2 practices a week, 2 matches a week. We spent hours trying to get every edge we could in gaming so you bet your ass we were voicechatting.

Shadowbane's beta was years after that. It's been a while but I remember it being assumed that anyone serious was in voicechat.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I got to see it when they had a little trailer on the god lot at E3, I think it was the last year of the god lot with the pole dancers and stuff :emoji_laughing:

We were hangin out with a friend from the everquest team and they wouldn't let him in :D

A friend from my 2nd game company went to work for them and weirdly we kept running into each other at lunchtime. I'd be out with a gang from digital anvil and we ended up getting seated right next to them a few times.

Then later an art friend Tony did some contract character / animation work for them and was talking about getting jitter and I immediately knew what the problem was. They had this crazy like 10 meter world scale or something, so characters were tiny and numbers near 0 do strange things to the floating point unit. Hell a playstation can't even handle the denormals you get with floats near 0.

I think they were doing that to try to get a very large world. They might have even been using double precision floats. Most games regionalize and have a localized coordinate system that keeps floats in a reasonable range, but it makes for odd boundary cases. I remember UO people finding these boundaries and using them to dupe gold and such.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
There's an element skill sure, it's just that you could teach a fucking monkey how to do it. Let me know when you hit masters in league of legends or GM in HoTS or any high rank which are actual skill based pvp games not your retard kiddy pool shit.

You'd go zero and the century against a serious jouster, shut the fuck up already with your "there's no difference in skill" shit. Completely asinine.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Telling me I can casually play a PvP MMO is like telling a recovered meth addict they can just take a hit at parties. I only feel alive when it's 72 hours after a release and I've only slept when the server was down. I'm either winning the game by ruining the server through destruction of all opposition or I'm losing.

There's a certain level of if you're not first, you're last to this shit. I get you.

Never stopped me from comin from behind tho. Not expecting a normie to do it.

Last edited:

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
You'd go zero and the century against a serious jouster, shut the fuck up already with your "there's no difference in skill" shit. Completely asinine.
I played a warrior you stupid fuck lol. You run in and click auto attack + kick HOLY FUCK THE SKILL REQUIREMENT! You are unfuckingbelievably retarded.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Someone's got a sore spot for being a weak jouster/melee

If you were worth half a shit you'd know better

"Counterstrike is easy you just shoot the gun you inbred faggot!"

Lol

Last edited:

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Dwarf warrior checking in for commander rune patrol.

Seriously wish i had time for this

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Even Red99 wasn't it but sorta close aside from the lack of resist/ac/hitbox being correct. I got lumped in with vztz scum who by and large turned out to be just that. But it was better than any alternative.

I don't think any of it counts as a last gasp because it wasn't entirely done right. I'd get em dancing to the oldies given the chance to.

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
Someone's got a sore spot for being a weak jouster/melee

If you were worth half a shit you'd know better

"Counterstrike is easy you just shoot the gun you inbred faggot!"

Lol
Imagine comparing a game that requires insane levels of reflexes and accuracy to a game where you have to click two buttons and don't have to aim at all.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Dwarf warrior checking in for commander rune patrol.

Seriously wish i had time for this

The leveling really isn't much man, just don't play as many nights a week

I raped zoomer scum 98% of the time I was on the last one, only the old heads put up a fight

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Imagine comparing a game that requires insane levels of reflexes and accuracy to a game where you have to click two buttons and don't have to aim at all.

I watched people who talked like you lose 80%-0 over and over and over in duels

That's just the melees. The karana fights I had with *every single* caster on red were a blowout, people had no idea what they were doing.

Absolutely asinine commentary, go play Diablo 4

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
The leveling really isn't much man, just don't play as many nights a week

I raped zoomer scum 98% of the time I was on the last one, only the old heads put up a fight

Free to play meant everyone just had "leveling bots" after a certain point too. Flying warlocks on macro... it ruined the active xp pvp game, not that much fun rolling up on 10 afkers leveling their alts. (well it was kinda fun, that whole game was all about ruining other peoples day)

I'm getting so nostalgic. I remember in the beginning the devs and staff were very heavy into events too. They really tried to inject some roleplay/meaning into the pvp. But a game like Shadowbane with real resource and real estate control, you did not really need it. Politics took over. Actually their whole inspiration was Game of Thrones. (back when they were just books of course)

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
Can't speak to EQ/UO in 1999, but yeah I remember voice chatting in games in 1999 with Roger Wilco, Gamespy etc. Back in '99 my counterstrike clan had 2 practices a week, 2 matches a week. We spent hours trying to get every edge we could in gaming so you bet your ass we were voicechatting.

Shadowbane's beta was years after that. It's been a while but I remember it being assumed that anyone serious was in voicechat.
It's an old post but I'll back this up. I definitely played on "Roger Wilco" servers on Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear which released in 1999

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user