Frostpunk

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
The game doesn’t have very long legs, but if this looks interesting to you, at $12 you’ll definitely get your money’s worth. Thematically, it’s one of my favorite games. I’m hoping they follow it up with a similar style but much longer game.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Yea 10$ or so feels about right. There isn't a ton of replayability to it, but it's pretty cool the first time through.

They added some challenge missions later on but they are all pretty lame.

khorum

Murder Apologist
The other scenarios were great and expanded on the story. The Winterhome dlc scenarios were great too and survival mode absolutely made it more replayable. Haven't gone back to try the endless mode though.

• 1Salty

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I never finished this. It always got to be a pain when you had to send scouts, find people from other locations I think it was? I might mess with this again.

• 1Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
I never finished this. It always got to be a pain when you had to send scouts, find people from other locations I think it was? I might mess with this again.
That's a big part of the game. You don't want to skimp on the exploration stuff, in fact focusing on it and having multiple teams out is a very effective way to get resources/automatons/population early.

• 1Salty

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
It really was a super enjoyable game. It is hard to find a reason to go back and play it again though

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
It really was a super enjoyable game. It is hard to find a reason to go back and play it again though
Played the main campaign/scenario this last week and really, really enjoyed the game. But after getting through the "Great Storm" so easily on medium, I don't see much of a reason to return either. I may load it up and do an Endless mode run eventually. I'm not much of a "city builder" vet, but I really liked it. Any similar recommendations that may have a better "end game"?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
See I don't get what I'm missing with this game cause I struggle with it on normal difficulty even following guides.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
See I don't get what I'm missing with this game cause I struggle with it on normal difficulty even following guides.
I built 5-8 workshops within the first 10-15 days or so, and just researched everything on the hour. Near the end I almost wiped my whole city and rebuilt houses within the 4 heat zones near the generator. I also took the "faith" route and just loaded up on "Houses of Healing" for the storm itself. Had automatons working the infirmaries when the storm arrived.

The first few days are rough, for sure. Probably the hardest part of the game, then again I haven't played the other scenarios.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Just picked this up on sale.
It's a hard game. So many ways to lose in the first week. I'm up to day 8 on my current attempt, and it's not looking too crash hot.
This is way harder than most games of this type where you really have to fuck up to fail. Usually problems are easily solvable. Run out of houses? build more houses. Run out of resources, go collect more. People get sick, heal them, etc. Easy.

In this game, you're freezing to death, 2 dozen people sick, turn the heat up to try to keep people warm so they stop getting sick, run out of coal, go gather more coal, people are getting even more sick out mining in the cold. Coal deposit runs out, realise there's no more so you need thumpers/mines. Don't have enough wood to build and/or research those because you had to build so many hospitals due to all the people sick from the cold. Need to send people to get more wood, but too many people are sick. Not enough workers, discontent maxing out, so many things you need to do and no workers or resources.. ahhh. oops they lynched me, problem solved!
Fun!

• 1Like

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
I'm up to day 8 on my current attempt, and it's not looking too crash hot.
Well it may not have looked too crash hot on day 8, but I finished the scenario on this save. People aren't kidding when they say the first few days are the hardest. Game got drastically easier once you get over the early game hump.
What you do in the first few days sets you up for success or failure.
City planning is pretty important, having things grouped together by the kind of steam hub settings they need. Working areas together, housing together.
I spent my early steam cores on hothouses and wall drills. I had heaps of coal thumpers.
Never used a coal mine or the advanced hospital types.
Got the coal outpost early which was a godsend, allowed me to heat everything with ease so I never had any sick until the storm.
Second outpost I used tesla city which seems bugged. I never got a single steam core from it. Kind of sucked because I was wanted to build more automatons but I didn't need them in the end.
I went order, but I didn't build the propaganda building or use guard patrols until after the london event was over. Didn't realise how easy it was to raise hope using those until it was too late.

• 1Like