Funny, Strange, Random Pics

Szlia

All this burrito talk makes me think of the immortal words of Alf: "I will not eat something that looks like it's been eaten once before"

rrr_img_61889.jpg

Rathar

<Bronze Donator>
Oddly enough one only finds burritos as a sold food product in NW Mexico in my experience. When the wife and I drove down the west coast to the Guatemalan borderish (Palenque) and then back up through the middle we found that they disappeared south and east of Mazatlan pretty much. Beans yes. Tortillas fuck yes but just served as sides.
rrr_img_61892.jpg

Hey burrito mexican foodbros...

Define "authentic"
Authentic shit that Mexicans eat in Mexico, you know, shitty tasting food that no white person wants to eat. That is why they invented Tex-Mex...

rrr_img_61893.jpg

Balmoro's Mango Spicy are dehydrated mangos covered in delicious chile. These spicy treats are a delicious snack for when you crave something sweet, fruity & spicy that will make your mouth water. Enjoy the sour & spicy taste of Balmoro's Mango Spicy

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Hey burrito mexican foodbros...

Define "authentic"
The person taking your order doesn't speak a lick of English, and their Spanish can be pretty bad, too. The menu is entirely in Spanish. They only take cash. And "burrito" isn't on the menu unless that location is catering to white folk. Tacos only come "al pastor", meat, maybe onions and cilantro; and there's like 20 different meat options (more than just "beef", you can get cow cheek, tongue, etc) -- which cost about $1-2 each. The rest of the menu options are stews or plates with shit on em. I know that's really descriptive, but I don't really enjoy how salty most of those options are. Lastly, adding cheese is a tex-mex thing.

The pineapple in these tacos is more of a Cuban thing. They like to stick fruit in their Mexican.
rrr_img_61894.jpg

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Fun fact: Freebirds originated in California before moving its HQ to College Station, TX. I'd love to be a fly on the wall for that decision meeting. "Man, the weather here is too nice. Let's move to an ultra-conservative college town in rural Texas. I'm sure they want to buy burritos from hippies." And surprisingly, they did.

On a related note, I <3 Qdoba's Ancho Chile BBQ burritos, but there aren't any locations near me. Sad panda.

rrr_img_61884.jpg
I always forget about Qdoba. It's definitely a Chipotle knock-off with more options and better queso. There's one five minutes from my house.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Authentic shit that Mexicans eat in Mexico, you know, shitty tasting food that no white person wants to eat. That is why they invented Tex-Mex...
This. 95% of people who like "real" Mexican food have never actually HAD real Mexican food. Go enjoy your Triple Moca Lotte and Chipotle and leave the "real" Mexican food to Mexicans.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Gotcha. "Authentic" when it comes to regional cuisine is a meaningless term. There's not an official Mexican recipe book kept in an underground bunker in Mexico city I'm afraid.

Gotcha. "Authentic" when it comes to regional cuisine is a meaningless term. There's not an official Mexican recipe book kept in an underground bunker in Mexico city I'm afraid.
Is there really any "authentic?" Thats like we have "Chinese" food in America, but you wouldnt find it anywhere in China, unless you went to an American chain "Chinese" food restaurant there. When people leave a certain area theyve lived in their whole life, they always hate the food they leave and say "if you opened a Mexican food restaurant from Southern California in North Carolina, it would make tons of money!" In reality it would probably fail because the people there like their regional Mexican food better.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The person taking your order doesn't speak a lick of English, and their Spanish can be pretty bad, too. The menu is entirely in Spanish. They only take cash. And "burrito" isn't on the menu unless that location is catering to white folk. Tacos only come "al pastor", meat, maybe onions and cilantro; and there's like 20 different meat options (more than just "beef", you can get cow cheek, tongue, etc) -- which cost about $1-2 each. The rest of the menu options are stews or plates with shit on em. I know that's really descriptive, but I don't really enjoy how salty most of those options are. Lastly, adding cheese is a tex-mex thing.

The pineapple in these tacos is more of a Cuban thing. They like to stick fruit in their Mexican.
rrr_img_61894.jpg
Yup. I assume any city in the US has authentic hispanic food scattered throughout, you just need to find it.

As to whether it's possible to have authentic food, yes it definitely is. It's authentic if it's traditional food for the people native to the region. Now, there is a massive variety of different traditional foods eaten in a country like Mexico, but they're all authentic. Hispanic people fight all the time about the right way to make a tamale or a taco or whatever, and there's some dumb foods they come up with.

t05.jpg