<Bronze Donator>
eervzoqme7021.jpg

• 5Picard
  • 1Harrow
Reactions: 5 users

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
vJYm4Ir.jpg

I'll watch a movie about someone attacking Comcast all fucking day.

• 5Solidarity
  • 4Like
Reactions: 8 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
The second-last one too, same year:

91rmoJ7uHgL._SL1500_.jpg

Hidden Figures Movie vs the True Story of Katherine Johnson, NASA

Did Katherine Johnson feel the segregation of the outside world while working at NASA?
No. "I didn't feel the segregation at NASA, because everybody there was doing research," says the real Katherine G. Johnson. "You had a mission and you worked on it, and it was important to you to do your job...and play bridge at lunch. I didn't feel any segregation. I knew it was there, but I didn't feel it." Even though much of the racism coming from Katherine's coworkers in the movie seems to be largely made up (in real life she claimed to be treated as a peer), the movie's depiction of state laws regarding the use of separate bathrooms, buses, etc. was very real. African-American computers had also been put in the segregated west section of the Langley campus and were dubbed the "West Computers." -WHROTV Interview

Did they really think Katherine G. Johnson was the janitor there to empty the garbage can?
was released after the movie wrapped but her book proposal and notes were utilized by the filmmakers.
No. This does not appear in Margot Lee Shetterly's Hidden Figures book, on which the movie is based, and seems to be an element of fiction created by the filmmakers. It should be noted that the movie was actually based on just a 55-page proposal for the book, which might in part explain some of the movie's deviations. The book was released on September 9, 2016, long after production on the movie had wrapped. However, the filmmakers did have access to the author and her notes. -Space.com

Was Katherine Johnson hired directly into NASA's space program?

No. The Hidden Figures true story confirms that she was hired in 1953 at NASA's Langley Research Center in Hampton, Virginia to work as part of a female team nicknamed "Computers Who Wear Skirts." She then began to assist the all-male flight research team, who eventually welcomed her on board. Like in the movie, she worked with airplanes in the Guidance and Navigation Department. In those days, NASA still went by the initials NACA, the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics, which in 1958 became the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) thanks to the Space Act of 1958. -WHROTV

Is Jim Parsons' character, NASA engineer Paul Stafford, based on a real person?
No. In fact-checking the Hidden Figures movie, we learned that white collar statistician Paul Stafford, portrayed by Jim Parsons, is a fictional character. He was created to represent certain racist and sexist attitudes that existed during the 1950s. In the film, he thwarts every effort Katherine (Taraji P. Henson) makes to get ahead, including reducing her job qualifications to secretarial duty, omitting her byline on official reports, and telling her it's not appropriate for women to attend space program briefings. By the end of the movie, Stafford's fictional storyline includes the character having a change of heart, which is emphasized when he brings Katherine a cup of coffee.
Is Kirsten Dunst's character, Vivian Mitchell, based on a real person?
No. Hard-nosed supervisor Vivian Mitchell (Kirsten Dunst) is a fictional character created to represent some of the unconscious bias and prejudice of the era. She is at best a composite of some of the supervisors who worked at NASA Langley.

Last edited:
  • 8Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 9 users