Funny, Strange, Random Pics

Tenjikuronin

50483a36e3a9ff854e459a5ff90059cd.jpg

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I think i was watching cutthroat kitchen and the dude used truffle oil on whatever he was cooking. he was bragging about how great it was and how "earthy" it made the dish. the judge comes by and is like... this... this is terrible. did you use truffle oil? why? truffles are disgusting.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
I think i was watching cutthroat kitchen and the dude used truffle oil on whatever he was cooking. he was bragging about how great it was and how "earthy" it made the dish. the judge comes by and is like... this... this is terrible. did you use truffle oil? why? truffles are disgusting.
I've seen this happen multiple times, especially on Chopped. It's not the truffles, it's truffle oil that all these people hate. It's not really truffles at all and most of the complaints is because it has a chemical taste to it. Mind you I've had truffles and I was underwhelmed.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
No it's also truffles themselves. They're just not good. The vast majority of chefs refuse to use them because like I said, they're a status symbol more than they are for flavor. It's just a downright stupid ingredient, to charge that much for it you'll almost never find a good use for it because normal people can't experiment with it and a lot of high end restaurants just follow the same blueprint of the others.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
No it's also truffles themselves. They're just not good. The vast majority of chefs refuse to use them because like I said, they're a status symbol more than they are for flavor. It's just a downright stupid ingredient, to charge that much for it you'll almost never find a good use for it because normal people can't experiment with it and a lot of high end restaurants just follow the same blueprint of the others.
They're overpriced, but their flavor is OK handled properly.

I'd compare GOOD truffles (black, I think - whatever they were they were top of the line when we were given an explicit sampling) to using cumin properly - cumin is god awful (and similarly earthy) if it's used poorly, but it can be amazing when used with proper discretion. Now there's fake truffle stuff and lower grades of truffles I don't have experience with. But top end I'd honestly compare to cumin (And honestly probably be hard pressed to ID which it was if it was finely ground into the dish)

Saffron I think there's a bit more flexibility on, but I'm not sure how many saffron items I've had had legitimate saffron.