Funny, Strange, Random Pics

Fedor

<Banned>
56IYb0I.jpg

Whats missing from those pics ....

1.JPG

On one trip there I watched the Chinese build 3 story concrete structures that were bamboo core with concrete stucco cladding. Nothing was cast or reinforced with steel. Shit was pretty scary from an engineering POV. Then again they would run electrical in buildings by twisting 2 light gauge wires together with no other insulation and staple em to the walls. And those fuckers love the dynamite the shit out of everything. the country structurally is a house of cards, expect it to fold over like Haiti in a big earthquake.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Appears as if they already had plans to demolish that road in the near future. A brand new road is next to it, I think. The rebar isnt missing, they just dont have anywhere near as high safety regulations if that is in fact from China, compared to the Western Nations. Japans old shit is horrible, too. A lot dating back from the MacArthur era. On the upside, things appear to be getting better in that region.

68a3yt.jpg

Speaking of Safety Regulations in Asian Countries. ~ Thank God, Allah and whoever else that Thorium is finally starting to replace Uranium in those countries. Nuclear Power Plants having melt downs will be a thing of the past. Which also, from my understanding, Thorium can be further refined and we can get Nuclear(Thorium) Powered Cars, maybe?
biggrin.png

rrr_img_12154.jpg

Isn't rebar supposed to be coated now?

4110567612_59b93b74a9_z.jpg

the green crap keeps it from rusting away.
Yup, in critical applications. rust is bad not because the metal will dissolve over time, but because as rust expands it exerts a massive amount of force, weakening the matrix. light surface rust on rebar in a thin general purpose slab isnt going to cause a catastrophic failure. the purple epoxy coated bar is the good stuff, you arent supposed to cut ends and leave them uncoated.

530934606_40947d0a83_z.jpg

Self-healing concrete is in the works

bio-concrete.jpg

disclaimer, I am not an engineer, just a builder.

mksman_sl

shitlord
Whats missing from those pics ....

On one trip there I watched the Chinese build 3 story concrete structures that were bamboo core with concrete stucco cladding. Nothing was cast or reinforced with steel. Shit was pretty scary from an engineering POV. Then again they would run electrical in buildings by twisting 2 light gauge wires together with no other insulation and staple em to the walls. And those fuckers love the dynamite the shit out of everything. the country structurally is a house of cards, expect it to fold over like Haiti in a big earthquake.
Just remember this when you see the words "Made in China"

• 1Like

Ben_sl

shitlord
Speaking of Safety Regulations in Asian Countries. ~ Thank God, Allah and whoever else that Thorium is finally starting to replace Uranium in those countries. Nuclear Power Plants having melt downs will be a thing of the past. Which also, from my understanding, Thorium can be further refined and we can get Nuclear(Thorium) Powered Cars, maybe?
biggrin.png
Really?!?: last I heard we was hell bent on destroying the U-233

lftrLayout.gif

thoriumcyclenielsen.gif

Argenthromir

Trakanon Raider
biggrin.png
You don't refine thorium. There is only one naturally occurring isotope of thorium : Th-232.
You have to refine Uranium because U-235, the isotope of interest, is less that 1% by weight the composition of uranium ore, which is mostly U-238. The nice thing about thorium is that most of it "reacts", so the really heavy elements (heavier than uranium) are produced in very small amounts.

The following shows roughly the amounts of material to make the same amount of energy:

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Thanks for the information from you two, without to much hassle.
wink.png

rrr_img_12176.gif

I live about 30 minutes north of a small town called Chatham in Virginia. One of the largest Uranium deposits in the world supposedly, is located in between my house and that town. The mines area is called Coles Hill. Virginia has had a ban on Uranium Mining for over 20 years now, and the ban is refreshed every year (3 days ago to be exact.) Without going into specifics, the company backing the mining operation is based out of Canada and says that deposit is worth close to 7 Billion USD. They also claim that the mining would be contained, completely safe and bring an influx of jobs and additional money to the economy. While you have the other Ecological worries, which could be legitimate or ignorant. An article popped up on Forbes or Wired (Couldnt find it, again) that claimed that the worry over the mine was unfounded and that as time goes on > Thorium will continue to grow in popularity and the Price VS Cost wouldnt be beneficial to mine the Uranium here.

(TL;DR - Wall of Text talking about Uranium Mining)

rrr_img_12174.jpg

rrr_img_12175.jpg

Japans old shit is horrible, too. A lot dating back from the MacArthur era. On the upside, things appear to be getting better in that region.
The newer Japanese shit is insanely overbuilt. (well actually not, they are very earthquake prone and most of the soil is volcanic sand, shitty geological substrate to build apon.) I watched em building a few small 5 story apartments. They run massive I-beams jacketed in cast concrete with rebar in 4" centers. Almost Godzilla proof. Coolest thing I saw there was roads with major electrical & water/sewer infrastructure below, were built as moduled plates bridging piles. They shut down traffic at night, lift up the road, climb down, do the work, and drop the road plates back down before morning rush hour. expensive as hell upfront cost, but long term it has to save them a ton of money when maintaining the infrastructure.

7343302726_7854aaf723_z.jpg

• 1Like