FcEXtNAaQAEKqB-.jpeg

• 10Faggotry
  • 4Barf
  • 3WTF
Reactions: 20 users

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
1662690080527.png

I will never comprehend that people think there is a "dog vs cat controversy..."

It's like debating apples vs cherries when they are both fruits and you can eat them both. I have lived with three dogs (who all died of old age) and seven cats (5 of which died of old age), the other two go on still. And damn, cats can live LONG lives! They are so very different as companions even though they share many similar (and mammalian) traits.

There is no question that human civilization could not have developed as it had without the symbiotic relationship that developed with canines. Felines? Well, probably not so much. In fact the theories that cats rid human settlements of vermin are probably more fiction than fact. I think it likely that cat and human cohabitation happened far later when societies were developed. Canine human relationships go much farther back and likely facilitated improved hunter-gatherer styles.

Still, there's so much love I give/have given to both species. Nothing cooler than going on an outdoor excursion with your dog and having hom/her become an extension of yourself, while simultaneously being a loving companion. They can so focused on you and making you happy, while giving unrestricted positive feedback and love.

My felines provide a very different form of companionship. One which is deeply emotional another is tactile and a third is somehow intellectual. They are far less servile and, for whatever reason, feel more as an equivalent partner in any exchange of emotions or affection. They are not tools or guides or playthings, but high-level companions. They also have a more developed sense of humor.

• 12Like
  • 5Solidarity
Reactions: 16 users

Haus

<Silver Donator>
View attachment 432435

I will never comprehend that people think there is a "dog vs cat controversy..."

It's like debating apples vs cherries when they are both fruits and you can eat them both. I have lived with three dogs (who all died of old age) and seven cats (5 of which died of old age), the other two go on still. And damn, cats can live LONG lives! They are so very different as companions even though they share many similar (and mammalian) traits.

There is no question that human civilization could not have developed as it had without the symbiotic relationship that developed with canines. Felines? Well, probably not so much. In fact the theories that cats rid human settlements of vermin are probably more fiction than fact. I think it likely that cat and human cohabitation happened far later when societies were developed. Canine human relationships go much farther back and likely facilitated improved hunter-gatherer styles.

Still, there's so much love I give/have given to both species. Nothing cooler than going on an outdoor excursion with your dog and having hom/her become an extension of yourself, while simultaneously being a loving companion. They can so focused on you and making you happy, while giving unrestricted positive feedback and love.

My felines provide a very different form of companionship. One which is deeply emotional another is tactile and a third is somehow intellectual. They are far less servile and, for whatever reason, feel more as an equivalent partner in any exchange of emotions or affection. They are not tools or guides or playthings, but high-level companions. They also have a more developed sense of humor.
I will go so far as to say I am by my default a "dog person" yet we have both here at our house. In fact one of the dogs, I am pretty sure, thinks the cat is "her pet". The times the cat has snuck out the dog door we just as Bean "Where's your cat?" and she finds him. It's actually kinda cute. I will admit the current cat has grown on me, and is now our third (previous two are deceased, one was the cat Mrs Haus has when she met me) But yes, they are very different in how they coexist with humans.

My dogs reaction to WFH for Covid?

dog_DNN.png

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
View attachment 432435

I do not like cats. I do not like MY cat. I don't even want the fucker. In fact, I made sure it was a criteria in the divorce that she MUST take the cat.

However, it turns out that I don't like animals suffering, and just want cats to be bros, which they are reticent to do. My ex got this cat because she needed one. So she bought a kitten and locked him in the bathroom when she went to work so the dog wouldn't eat it. I was working overnights and thought that was bullshit, so I'd come home and let the cat out and we'd be bros for awhile and he'd fall asleep in the middle of doing kitten things.
20150902_132019.jpg

Then I got him to meet the dog and he spent the next several years wrestling with a German Shepherd. Fucker is completely fearless now. But, he would sleep right on top of me (which I hate) and meow in the middle of the night to wake me up for food or other bullshit. That's not bro stuff. Bros don't sleep on other bros. Bros don't wake bros up for food. Stop being a douche, and be a bro.

When we got divorced, the kids would come back after a weekend over there and say "Jack isn't allowed to do anything...the other cats beat him up, he's got scratches all over his face, and he can't leave his corner of the living room." Fuck, that sucks. Little guy may not be a bro, but he doesn't deserve to get his ass kicked for it. So I offered to take him so he could at least just live a normal life, and the ex reluctantly agreed it would be better for him if I did.

She came back to pick up some stuff or drop off the kids or some bullshit like a week later, and my kid texts me "Jack saw mom and hid in the couch. Like, INSIDE of it."

20181017_103649.jpg

Now he lives outside mostly. He comes in, eats half a bowl of food, sleeps most of the day, then goes out and murders whatever he can find. I literally just picked up a headless squirrel off the patio. He's the apex predator of the neighborhood. Fucker cornered a fox last year up against the house, and the fox wasn't real happy about it.

See? That's all I wanted. Just be a bro. Don't wake me up for food. Go get your own fucking food. Don't sleep on me, that's not what bros do. Shit outside like the fucking dog does. But, I'll throw away your squirrel guts if you keep them fuckers off my bird feeders and the mice off my wood piles. I don't need him, I'll never buy another one, but we can be cool as long as hes not being a fucking dick.

Like most cats are.
IMG_20160714_174716.jpg

• 12Like
  • 7Solidarity
Reactions: 18 users