TJR

padawhat.jpg

• 29Worf
  • 1Ice Burn
  • 1Like
Reactions: 30 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i just want everyone to know how to ACTUALLY do PEMDAS. Parenthesis first, Exponents second. that part is easy. but here's where people get it all wrong (or rather, it's taught wrong). it's not Multiplication third, Division fourth, Addition fifth and Subtraction sixth, it's Multiplication and Division third and Addition and Subtraction fourth. once you take care of the parenthesis and exponents, you just move left to right like you are reading. so 8/2(2+2) becomes 8/2(4). which becomes 8/2x4, which becomes 4x4 which is 16.

hot dog i'm better at math than a dude with 2 math degrees.

6336b6cc23f30646133699.png

325215.jpg

• 12Like
  • 4Solidarity
  • 1Galaxy Brain
Reactions: 17 users

goishen

Macho Ma'am

I'm convinced that this is a legitimate operation by another country's intelligence agency, to see how intelligent we are.

because-1.png

nopower.gif

lol

For those who don't know, it's shoeonhead's response to those people who "called her out" on her video about male loneliness.

• 1Like
  • 1Faggotry
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

pwe

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Doggo. The "stuff" to the left is not the tail, she just likes to sit in weird positions. Yoga dog.

1694496337286.png

Last edited:
  • 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
i just want everyone to know how to ACTUALLY do PEMDAS. Parenthesis first, Exponents second. that part is easy. but here's where people get it all wrong (or rather, it's taught wrong). it's not Multiplication third, Division fourth, Addition fifth and Subtraction sixth, it's Multiplication and Division third and Addition and Subtraction fourth. once you take care of the parenthesis and exponents, you just move left to right like you are reading. so 8/2(2+2) becomes 8/2(4). which becomes 8/2x4, which becomes 4x4 which is 16.

Please note that PEMDAS is a very, very very short version of the real convention on mathematical symbols and their usage (ISO 80000-2)

The obelus (division sign) is not to be used (since early 20th century), and the multiplication sign should not be omitted in case if an ambiguity. Thus, it's not that both answers are true / false, is that the equation is invalid if you want to apply today's standard. If not, then both answer are right. That's why we have the iso convention : to avoid this type of situation.
Now, it's a convention, math is a living language and can change/adapt overtime.

1694507067698.png

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>

325215.jpg
This has been hashed out for years. It’s simply written in a bullshit way to purposely create internet discussion.

Due to the way it’s written the answer can be 1 or 16. As people have noted on that Reddit post and elsewhere, no one (should) ever present that problem as it’s written. It’s purposely ambiguous. Details inside. Even some calculators will tell you 1 while others say 16. It’s BUNK.

Here’s Bunk:

IMG_6123.jpeg

• 9Like
Reactions: 8 users