Funny, Strange, Random Pics

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
epi98PA.gif

• 1Harrow
Reactions: 1 user

Szlia

The odd thing with that new way is that it requires more operations and more writing than the old way AND it's not even a method that can be used mentally.

I don't know about you but to mentally do 53-17, I do 53-7=46 46-10=36

The benefit of the new way maybe is that it brakes down a subtraction into a chain of additions, but I am not sure it's such a brilliant idea.

iannis

Musty Nester
The odd thing with that new way is that it requires more operations and more writing than the old way AND it's not even a method that can be used mentally.

The benefit of the new way maybe is that it brakes down a subtraction into a chain of additions, but I am not sure it's such a brilliant idea.
It's really just confusing and horrible. The aim should be to simply operations, not to confuse small children because a Ph.d. psychologist somewhere needs to justify his government grants.

It may even be that some people DO naturally think this way. I suspect it is the case.

Some people just think STUPID.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
And you can NOT show your children the "old" way. My sons teacher had a conniption when I helped him with his homework, the only way my old ass knows how.

Pics unrelated.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

I think exactly zero people promote the 'new' way and it's just a person being a goofball to piss people off.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>

yeah I think it's wiser to learn how to use as few steps as possible for practical reasons, It almost seems like the math is done this way now because it's easier to grade not because it's easier to do especially without a piece of paper.

Mentally I would try to get the subtracting number round first, so 53(+3)-17(+3) ~ 56-20=36

rrr_img_65031.jpg