Funny, Strange, Random Pics

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
Gigantic picture because gigantic

AdventureTime_2304x1296_hperticarati.jpg

AdventureTime_2304x1296_hperticarati.jpg

Xeldar

Silver Squire
Division is a fancy way of multiplying by a number from -1 to 1 (excluding 0); subtraction is a fancy way to add negative numbers. As such, the person who wrote it out as 6*.5*(1+2) has the best explanation.

Deruvian

Lord Nagafen Raider
Funny question. I think that the confusion comes from the fact that the equation is written so lazily. 6/2(2+1) I tend to naturally view as 6/(2(2+1) assuming implied parenthesis, whereas in reality it is (6/2)*(2+1) or 6 / 2 * 3.

Flank_sl

shitlord
Dumb
Number next to parentheses can omit the * symbol
Rewrite

6/2(1+2)=>6/2*(1+2)
Now clearly
3*(1+2)

You guys claiming 1 are acting like being next to parentheses is like being inside. Dumb
Numbers being next to the parentheses is called juxtaposition. Most programming languages cannot give priority to multiplication by juxtaposition because of the way brackets are used when programming. Since calculators are written using these programming languages, they do not give precedence to multiplication by juxtaposition.

Some mathematicians do give precedence to multiplication by juxtaposition, some don't. The ones who do give precedence to juxtaposition seem more reputable to me, since they include groups like the American Mathematical Society. Purple Math is generally considered to be a reputable site. Check the third section on this page:Purple Math

TLDR: I believe that google calculator is wrong.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
My favorite part of the whole bit is how people think PEDMAS means "Divide, then Multiply" because that's how it is read. Like the (completely wrong) image above that completely changes the equation by changing it to a fraction.

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
Division is a fancy way of multiplying by a number from -1 to 1 (excluding 0); subtraction is a fancy way to add negative numbers. As such, the person who wrote it out as 6*.5*(1+2) has the best explanation.
I think this guy won

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
ANTI DUCKFACES AT DUDELOL.COM
before I read the above I was thinking, "wow someone made a female Calvin and Hobbes" then it turned pretty fucking dark. Maybe i am over thinking it but that seems like a pretty interesting awareness short.

SimSimSalabim

Molten Core Raider
Different computers calculating it differently is just a matter of different correct algorithms being used. The issue with the problem isn't people's education or understanding of math, but rather that nobody in their right mind in the real world would ever write a problem out like that in the first place. Its not a PEMDAS issue, its a PEBCAK issue.

Viktor

Molten Core Raider
It's 1, and considering Stephen Hawking calls me regularly for advice on his latest and greatest paper I'm right.

me.jpg

"Would you fuck me? I'd totally fuck me"