Game development career thread:

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
FYI the Unity course is on sale again for $11. I've been thinking about learning a little about Unity to do some dabbling on the side but everything I've ever heard about the gaming industry is that it sucks ass to be in it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
I bought it for $15 months back and saw that it is $195 before this sale that started today.

You nerds better buy this asap.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
So this is what I've been working on all year: NEOFUR — NEOGLYPHIC ENTERTAINMENT

I've been helping with the port to Unity. It is out now, but it is a little bit behind the Unreal version.

The way it works is by doing physics on a set of control points extended from either the mesh layered in fur, or ideally a simplified "growth" mesh. A compute shader does it on dx11 newish pcs, and the cpu handles it on macs and mobiles and such. We then draw "shells" with a surface shader using the control points.

It has been a really fun project. :D

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I used it over the weekend for Ludum Dare, and it worked really well. Made my crappy hastily thrown together models look better. :D

Should have a build this week that vastly reduces draw calls via the 5.4 instancing, and fixes the garbage collection spikes we were having.

• 1Like

xzi

Mouthbreather
Pretty interesting talk on game programming, sound doesn't cut in for a minute

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
I've been game-designing obsessed since the second grade and making customs is my consuming hobby, but I've been too cowardly to do anything with it.
Guy approached me last year and I did some Heroscape customs with him, but he was a demanding prick and we cut ties. Well he has since expanded his capabilities and seems to be doing well. His work is subpar and I could totally do better. I do lack his Michael Bay-ish enthusiasm though.

I should at least try I think.

• 1Like

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I once made a fake DOS prompt and had it load in autoexec.bat.

Father was unimpressed when he would get odd messages when trying to launch Windows 3.1

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Every year or so I get heavy into researching making a video game and now's the Time. Nothing ever comes of it.

At least I wrote a zork-like text adventure so I got that going for me

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

xzi

Mouthbreather
Pretty much same. I am constantly scouring through dev blogs and youtube talks but I rarely push out a project. I've released maps for Warcraft 3, Quake and HL2 before so I kind of consider them to be an extension of that but I've never made my own game.

I'm a do-er of all and master of none tbh. I've gotten a lot better at modeling and texturing and world building in general over the years so maybe sometime I'll release SOMETHING. Even if it is stupid.

• 1Solidarity

xzi

Mouthbreather
There's a lot of fantastic Game Maker tutorials, I just picked up Game Maker 2 recently and it's been surprisingly easy to get into.

Dawg we'll make a game, I'll program it.

RELEASING May 2028
PROJECT TITAN
We'll tell mythic raiders to FUCK themselves they have to pay an extra 5$ a month and they'll like it

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Get that unity certificate bros and help out with pantheon instead of hating on it.

working for brad is the same pay you are going to get anywhere else with no resume. its a labor of love. game design has sort of been longest hours, lowest pay since inception- outside of the BIG 3 studios.

• 1Like

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
I signed up for a coding class for September and the world crumbled around me. Home and work both couldn't handle it, so I dropped. It was kinda bullshit anyway. Teacher was always late and always left early and just rambled on about unrelated things. Kinda glad I got my $500 refunded.

I've tried more than a little bit to code X-COM. Mind simply doesn't grok it.
I crank out the hand made stuff though.
Recently discovered Tabletop Simulator. Been working doubles, so I haven't bought it yet, but Thanksgiving is coming.
It seems easy enough for my Magic / Heroscape home brews.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
You could have a look at open xcom to see how they do things. It would be very different for 3d though if you are doing that.

I'd guess the main challenges for xcom would be blowing up walls and updating the collision info to make ray casts work after.