Game of Thrones LCG: Second edition.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
https://youtu.be/A1s54Wlgfyo

I just got my hands on the "New" Game of Thrones card game from fantasy flight games.

The game was originally released in 2002 as a traditional card game like Magic then was purchased by Fantasy flight in 2007 and turned into a "living card game" and has attracted a pretty niche following.

This week at Gencon they announced that they are rereleasing the game from scratch with revised modern rules and cards. The core sets they had in stock sold out immediately. The old cards/game is going to be phased out this year and cannot be used with the new Game.

I was able to play the game and I was really impressed with it. Barring the obvious themes and characters being awesome the core game mechanics are really well thought out and having four or five different ways to win really makes deck building fun.

It IS a LCG and with that some people will hate it just due to that fact but the game itself was really fun interesting. I was able to pick up one core set and put two more on preorder and it should be out in two months or so.

Here are some links including the rules and the spoiler list.

A Game of Thrones: The Card Game Second Edition

AGoT LCG Spoilers

icarr757_sl

shitlord
Played 1st ed. Its a fun game but I enjoyed 3 and 4 player games alot more than just head to head. And there are great mechanics (1st ed) that make multiplayer shine so well that are just do not exist in 1 on 1 game. The worlds of GoT is about trying to get to the top while covering your ass from everyone else. That screams multiplayer (to me). 1 on 1 is for tournament style games and just does not feel like GoT to me. Now if FFG got their shit together and billed the game as 3+ players for tournament, and the 2 player mode was more of a casual thing, that would be amazing. But I do not really see it happening.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Played 1st ed. Its a fun game but I enjoyed 3 and 4 player games alot more than just head to head. And there are great mechanics (1st ed) that make multiplayer shine so well that are just do not exist in 1 on 1 game. The worlds of GoT is about trying to get to the top while covering your ass from everyone else. That screams multiplayer (to me). 1 on 1 is for tournament style games and just does not feel like GoT to me. Now if FFG got their shit together and billed the game as 3+ players for tournament, and the 2 player mode was more of a casual thing, that would be amazing. But I do not really see it happening.
They have a really interesting multiplayer format as well I could not play it though.

Sterling

El Presidente
Played the old version, which was pretty decent. Most of the LCGs are pretty solid games in general. As a competitive person though I generally hate multiplayer games unless there are clear teams. Just doing it for fun though sure.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
Played the new version. I really like it. I won't buy it though. The FFG LCGs are way too expensive to collect unless it's your main game.

icarr757_sl

shitlord
Bah, want to watch your $ dissapear, FFG's Eldritch Horror! Best coop game ever, kicks my groups ass on a regular basis. Not a light weight game at all but loads of fun.