Games suitable for children

Agenor

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Let the kid play this, and tell he/she if they can beat it they can play any game they want. If they do beat it, save for Harvard education.

rrr_img_8465.jpg

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Honestly if you can get away with it, I'd try to stick to Nintendo DS or tablet games just so you don't have to fight for the TV or computer. You're a lot less likely to run into inappropriate stuff on handhelds than you would on consoles or PC.
It's annoying to go into the mancave and find them playing my PS3. I got them a Wii to keep them in their own room.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
What do parents say about MMOs - and I'm not looking for WoW vs EQ vs GW fanboi rage, but just generally speaking. How old should a child be, how often should they play and should you play with them or is it ok to let them play unsupervised?
MMO's the issue is the other people playing not the game itself. Same with a Call of Duty or HALO type of game. I'd be much less concerned with the cartoony violence than with a kid being on XBox live and being told he was just raped because he's a American Inventor faggot pussy. Which seemed to happen a lot when I played CoD or Halo online.

I dont think any MMO's are that bad, but the kid still would need to be old enough to understand what he might deal with on the internet.

Rodyland_sl

shitlord
My kids (4, 6, 8) play the wii, and enjoy Super Mario Bros Wii, mario kart, wii sports and wii sports resort, and both Super Mario Galaxy games. They also enjoy Kirby's Epic Yarn and Kirby's Adventure. And the oldest has started playing one of the Zelda games. Plus there are numerous websites out there that host kid-friendly flash games - uptoten.com was a long time favourite.

silverflame_sl

shitlord
Does it have to be an electronic game. There are a lot of good board games out there, or even just basic card games (crib) that they can play when they don't have a gaming system around.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
No, doesn't really have to be an computer game, although what got me to think about this was that the kid I have in mind isn't much for computers (strange, I know!) and so I was thinking that a computer game might be able to pique his interest in computers in general.

As for the MMO's, and I suppose all online games, I suppose it's ok as long as the parent or another trustworthy adult plays alongside and is able to counter any shit that gets through. I've sometimes read articles on whole families that play WoW or Minecraft together, though I don't personally know any such families.

Szlia

A good game for a child who is learning to spell is Scribblenauts. It manages to be educative without being some boring edutainment pseudo-game.

icegecko_sl

shitlord
LEGO anything. Lego Star Wars, Lego Batman, Lego Lord of The Rings, Lego Indiana Jones, etc. I have 8 and 4 year old nephews and they LOVE these games. The 4 year old isn't very helpful but at least they can both play at the same time. Bonus is that they are actually really good games, I enjoy playing the games with them as well(mostly me + the 8 year old)
This. My 8 year old son loves all the LEGO games, and since they're 2-player, we can play together. Same with NHL 13...he enjoys the game, but he gets more out of it because we can play together/against each other.