Games that gave you the most bang for your buck

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Everquest
just saved from becoming a EQ circle jerk for 60+ pages
/thread
EQ we paid what, $30 for the box in '98 or '99 and what per month, $10? Played it for years and then sold the account for $1500 when I quit. I don't think any video game account will EVER again have the value that EQ did. I think I sold my FBSS alone for $150. Of course I camped that thing forever to get it too...

Recently for me it was BF3, paid $40 and got 250 hours of multiplayer out of that according to battelog. I do wish I had not bought the premium expansion pack though, I won't be doing that again for BF4.

Dudebro_sl

shitlord
Everquest, WoW, League of Legends. Most of the Battlefield games.

I've probably logged the vast majority of my pc gaming hours in those games right there.

For console it would be all the grand theft auto games. I would beat them all and just fuck around in them endlessly when I was bored. Except the latest GTA, they took some of the fun factor out of that one.

Unsurprisingly two online games top my list by far.

SubSpace- didn't pay anything. Played for thousands of hours. A masterpiece of easy to learn hard to master game. SS is probably pretty obscure to most but the game is actually still alive. It had public beta start in 1996 and was released in 1997. Sure it's been "dying" for a decade. If it had good population I'd probably start playing some again. Some footage for the interested:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GzHQSGVkWc

World of Warcraft- Don't feel like totaling up the costs but again played for thousands of hours. Sold vanilla account for 1400 euros before tbc so costs got recouped with interest. Not much of a hourly wage thou.

My memory starts to get hazy on games before those two but I remember playingBaldur's Gatea fuckton.

Plants vs Zombies- couple bucks for GotY edition. Steam says 96 hours although half of that is probably farming garden while raiding in WoW.
Mass Effect 3 multiplayer- Bought at release. Approaching 200 hours and I started playing it again last week after several months of not playing.
Civ 5- Bought at release. Steam says 240 hours which is shocking to me.
XCOM: Enemy Unknown- Bought at release. 118 hours played. One of the few single player games to keep me entertained in the past years

blizzak

<Silver Donator>
EQ
The Civ series excluding Civ5
The Fallout series
SSI's Panzer General2 and PG3d

All these games have brought countless hours of fun and continue to do so even a decade or two later.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Firearms mod for HL 1.

When I started playing it was on version 2.5, really fun 'run n gun' combat, much faster paced than CS and with a finite number of respawns/reinforcements per match.

Unfortunately it was all downhill from there, version 2.6 which was years in development almost killed the community..one of the worst changes was a severe reduction in the accuracy of the guns which meant encounters were heavily dependent on luck rather than skill.

clovell_sl

shitlord
I'm surprised more people haven't said Minecraft. What with all the mods, texture packs, and the directionless gameplay, it has nearly infinite replayability. Not bad for the $20 I paid for it.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
For me going all the way back to the 80s:

Elite (the original)
Sim City (the original)
SC 2000
Transport Tycoon (and Open TTDlx)
X-com and TftD
Civilization
Civ2
Colonization
Masters of Orion 2
Alpha Century
Europa Universalis 3
Hearts of Iron 3
Minecraft

Edit:
Wing Commander Privateer, and another space trading game by the same dude released around 2002, can't remember the name. Excellent space sims.

Rease

Blackwing Lair Raider
Baseball Stars 2, I spent an absolutely ridiculous amount of time playing this game. I would sign a rookie that had great potential(like a 99 which was the cap for his stats to reach, you could sign bums that only went to 40 ish etc) and then play and play until he was maxes. I actually remade all teams to match the current MLB rosters as much as you could. You could rename all players and then bump their stats so their averages/hr/rbi etc numbers matched what they were in real life. I mean I cannot even imagine doing that at this point heh. You played games and got points to use based on what you did in the game. Each stolen base, hit, home run etc gave you certain amounts of points to use. You also got money for winning and losing and so on. This game was such a blast on the Super Nes I believe. The best part of this was the game cost me 1 dollar. This was the price for the wheel game on the Seaside Heights boardwalk that gave Nes/Super Nes and Sega games away as prizes. The first time I ever tried it, I won from putting my dollar token on blue Pop. If that is not bang for your buck I don't know what is. I probably put in a 1000 hours at least.

Wizardry 8(series), I have replayed these games over and over with new parties and mods. I can't and probably won't ever get enough of Wizardry.

Madden, I have made new players endlessly and trained them up to be superstars.

MLB 11(series), same as Madden, made and ranked up superstars.

EQ 2 and 1, I played 2 quite a bit more than 1 but still spent a ridiculous amount of time playing these games. The pricing per month and box didn't matter when you played 10 hours or more a day on average. You also can't put a price on the friends you make. I have made so many true, long term, great great friends from these two MMO's. I still calll 30 or more folks good friends and 8 close friends from these two games.

Wing Commander Privateer 1 and 2, I spent at least 200 hours playing these games. They might have cost me 30 each?

Goldeneye/Mortal Kombat 2/Twisted Metal 2, I lump these games because they became good bang for the buck games because of the multiplayer only.

X-Com new/old and the rest of the series. I still play the original games often as well as the newest one.

Bard's Tale series(most time spent playing 2), I still have and use my Apple 2GS for these games and a few others. I also still have my graph paper and notes that I use to this day as well.

Final Fantasy Tactics, I must have spent 1000 hours playing this game over the years. I still play this game monthly.

Tabletop DnD and the like. I definitely got way more bang for the buck for all games/modules etc that I ever bought.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Elder Scrolls games are up there for me. According to Steam, I'm sitting on a little over 380 hours played on Skyrim alone.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Newish titles: Skyrim ( 150 hours and counting still have not finished main campaign lol )

Older titles:
Civilization ( various versions, i played the crap out of these )
nwn2 - with the mods out, i have logged over 200 hours if not more
AgeOfEmpires2 - I played the crap out of this

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think I've seen every game that immediately jumps to mind in this thread, cept I haven't seen anyone say Mario Paint yet. If you didn't waste too much time with that game you must have a poor imagination.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Considering I played WoW for like 8hr day for years and bought zero other video games the entire time I'm going with WoW

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Considering I played WoW for like 8hr day for years and bought zero other video games the entire time I'm going with WoW
Yeah, this. I'm pretty happy wow didn't come out while I was in college. My 2.8 would have been a 0.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
FFXI... 7-8 years all day erry day chicken nuggets. Didn't buy any other games during that time.

Fogia_sl

shitlord
It's quite hard to answer such topic taking into account old games since I don't remember how much I paid them, and most of the time I was pirating stuff since I was a student.
I guess the question could have been: "Games that gave you the most bang for your time"
wink.png

Sticking to the bang for your buck ... my top, from lowest to highest:
- Dead Space 1: Only 16 hours, but one of the few games (if not the only one) who was able to scare me. And a game often on sale. A pity the series went downhill after.
- Deus-Ex/Alpha Protocol: Bought for nothing during sales. Very enjoyable games. About 40 hours each.
- Borderlands 1/2, L4D 1/2: Spent countless hours playing those with friends. Topped 140 hours under Steam with BL2 only.
- X-Com: Enemy Unknown: Spent countless hours. First game I dared modding/bug fixing through hex editing to increase its longevity even more. Soon to reach 100 hours
- Skyrim: Well its TES. Although it's seldom on sale, with modding its just a delicacy. 60 hours and I barely scratched the surface because I always put it on hold to take care of my game backlog ...
- Batman Arkham Asylum and City: Great games on many aspects (not counting the fact they are on sale so often for next to nothing). Only 22 hours on Asylum, but still spending countless hours playing City in the Joker/Penguin arena to blow steam off: about to reach the 100 hours.
- Everquest: Obviously ... can't say how much time, but it ate my life for several years.
- Mass Effect 1/2/3 + Mass Effect 3 MP: Even with the butchered ending, this epic story will always hold a place in my mind/heart. And the MP was just icing on the cake. The only game that gives me a reason to keep Origin installed. Difficult to say how long since I played each twice, sometimes with boxed versions ... most likely over 300 hours everything (SP+MP) included.

Deruvian

Lord Nagafen Raider
Tribes 1. Got a copy of it for free in high school. Played an insane amount for probably 4-5 years, I'd assume at least 200 days played.

slowstang_sl

shitlord
UO
EQ - 167days played, kind of sad lol
Wow - 131 days played
Cod4
codmw2 - 25 days played, became unstoppable, almost never lost a ffa or tdm game.

Spark

Golden Knight of the Realm
Bought King's Bounty Armored Princess a few years ago off Steam for $7.50. 100+ hours and multiple replays later, it's still one of my all time favorite games.

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
Killing Floor. Bought it for 15 bucks when it first came out and I have over 200 hours in it. All the meaningful dlc is free (maps/weapons), they only charge for skins.

Pikifou

Molten Core Raider
No love for anno serie ? I'm a big fan of these games, i usually end up spending way more time than planed on these games.
I'll build another sushi factory and i'm going to bed...oh new buildings available let's test that...oh new citizen level...oh time to go to work and i haven't slept -_-