Games You Regret Spending Time On?

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
All the talk about games taking X amount of time or people powering through so they have time to go outside and touch grass, it got me thinking.

What are some games that you spent a lot of time on and regret it? Not necessarily the worst games, but more games that took up time that you'll never get back and just weren't worth the trouble. Games that just had no respect at all for your time, or felt thoroughly pointless to have played. I've got several. I know I'm forgetting a few too.

7. Suikoden IV: Anyone who has played Suikoden knows how good that series is. Especially the first two. An absolutely rockin' time. Well, not the fourth one! This shit cost me like a week of my life. The visuals are bland as hell, the character models look idiotic and have tiny heads, the story is unmemorable, the music sucks (which is super weird for a Suikoden game) and I wanted back all the time I put into it. Sad thing is, Suikoden V came along later and was waaaay better but I don't think too many people played it. What the hell happened here? At least it wasn't too long.

6. Breath of Fire IV: Finally finished this on a Backlog Challenge here a couple years ago. One of those games that didn't age well at all and was probably a lot better in-era 20 years ago. It took me like 6 years to get through because it was so ungodly boring most of the time. And so drawn-out. Most of what you do in the game is inconsequential or pointless to the overall narrative Just couldn't compare to BoF1-3 at all for me. I think the worst part was the overhead view was kinda low-angled, the environments were very built-up, and you could only rotate the camera to a couple of positions. What all of this means is that I constantly couldn't see where my characters were because the terrain was in the way. The villain was interesting and the story cutting to him frequently was the best aspect of it. Still, took like 55 hours to get through this thing and I didn't have fun. Damn my need to complete a series. And I didn't even complete this one because when I tried BoF Dragon Quarter (5) I noped out because it's so dismal and brown and everyone talks like some kind of goggle boy anime asshole.

5. Pokemon Diamond: This game is SLOW. The battles take ages, every little thing has to be spelled out, and it's legitimately a sleep aid. Was the last Pokemon game I played for literally almost ten years and I regretted all the time I spent on it. Especially considering Pokemon Platinum (improved version of this game) eventually came out during the several years I was chipping away at this, and fixed all of its issues. So if I'd waited a couple years I would have gotten to play a much better version of it and might have actually stuck with the series instead of tapping out and missing several gens.

4a and 4b. WoW, Battle for Azeroth and Shadowlands: I liked everything up through Legion. Wanted to keep up, and made two attempts to return to it with these two expansions. Both times I was bored out of my mind. I managed to finish BFA's main story, but Shadowlands I couldn't even muster that up. Dragonflight seems cool and all but I felt so much like I'd wasted the 20-30 hours I spent on these two that I didn't even look back.

3a and 3b. Zelda: Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks: I don't actually think these qualify by my own criteria because I don't entirely regret playing them. I wanted to finish the Zelda series and you can't do that without knocking out these two at some point. Man, I hate DS stylus controls when they aren't necessary though. And they weren't necessary for either of these. Both were a slog and I regretted spending so much time on them. I wish the actual good Zelda games were as long and expansive as these.

3c. Metroid Pime Hunters: Ditto here on stylus controls. Every series I like had to get a shitty DS installment with shitty stylus controls. Had to do it for completion, wished I spent that time on any actual good Metroid.

2. Assassin's Creed Valhalla: Spent like 70 hours on this and it was SO BORING. They got rid of a lot of the assassin elements in favor of a more generic combat system. No tall buildings to scale outside of Londinium. Just didn't feel like Assassin's Creed. Great if you like axes, but if I want to play an axe game God of War 1 and 2 are right there. Nowhere near as bad as Lufia: Ruins of Lore, but it took up so much goddamn time that I seriously regretted playing it. AC Odyssey also took up too much time and was too drawn-out but at least it was enjoyable. Surprised they took the one complaint people had about Odyssey (too long / drawn-out / padded) and made it literally twice as bad in Valhalla.

1. Lufia: Ruins of Lore: Hands-down the biggest waste of time I've ever played. I liked Lufia on the SNES and loved Lufia 2 (top ten RPG on the system easily). Lufia 3 on the Game Boy Color was kind of iffy with the random dungeons and everything, but it was inoffensive and easy to get through. Then we got this one, on the GBA. It was so horrendously bad and it took up like 30 hours of my life at a time when I should have been doing any number of other things. The game makes you do every dungeon multiple times for no reason, the dungeon layouts are super-confusing messes, the combat is so basic you'd think it was an 8-bit game from the early 80's, the characters are all carbon copies of each other with very limited movesets, the dialogue is laughable, it doesn't have any real connection to the rest of the series outside of one semi-neat cameo, and it's just so incredibly shit. Was also depressed from my first GF leaving me, so while I slogged through this I also had the added benefit of finding myself rethinking my life choices.

Lufia - Ruins of Lore_rami.png

Also, look at this fucking character portrait. That's the main face you're looking at for most of the game.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
1. This is iffy. Shadow of the Colossus. I only did 11/16 bosses and the concept is amazing but I reached a point on one where I was clearly fighting the stiff controls. I will eventually return to it I think out of completeness.

2. WotLK Classic - can’t go home again. At all. Didn’t regret re-leveling though.

3. WoW BFA. ‘Nuff said.

4. All PlayStation Portable games. Particularly the GTA and the Daxter game.

5. Crackdown. For some reason I played this a lot but it was pretty meh in retrospect.

6. LOTRO. It was cool at points but for some reason I really regretted the time dumped.

7. Rift. It was fun but I always end up regretting MMOs that die.

8. NBA Live games. I used to play full seasons and all that shit. Why. I pretty much regret every moment in every sports game ever.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
1. Metroid Prime 3: Loved the first two; figured I would love the third, but the Wiimote/Nunchuck controls (and to a lesser extent the Phazon corruption mechanic) let me down hard. I've replayed MP1 and MP2 several times each, but not MP3.

2. Dragon Age 2. Bioware was riding high after the original DA and ME2; shelled out for the collector's edition, got fleeced. After that, I made myself a rule that I'd never buy a collector's edition again without serious, serious diligence. To date, I have only made one exception, Persona 5.

3. Legend of Grimrock. Blind buy based on Metacritic scores in the days prior to Steam refunds. Never liked it. Fortunately I only wasted $10.

4. Portal 2. Good game, but wasn't worth full entry price.

5. LoZ: Majora's Mask. Decidedly personal pick. Not a bad game, in fact, my favorite game of all time. However, I played it so obsessively, it wrecked my grades when I was in 7th grade.

6. Rock Band series. Same as above, but with organic chem in college.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Caeden

1. Metroid Prime 3: Loved the first two; figured I would love the third, but the Wiimote/Nunchuck controls (and to a lesser extent the Phazon corruption mechanic) let me down hard. I've replayed MP1 and MP2 several times each, but not MP3.

2. Dragon Age 2. Bioware was riding high after the original DA2 and ME2; shelled out for the collector's edition, got fleeced. After that, I made myself a rule that I'd never buy a collector's edition again without serious, serious diligence. To date, I have only made one exception, Persona 5.

3. Legend of Grimrock. Blind buy based on Metacritic scores in the days prior to Steam refunds. Never liked it. Fortunately I only wasted $10.

4. Portal 2. Good game, but wasn't worth full entry price.

5. LoZ: Majora's Mask. Decidedly personal pick. Not a bad game, in fact, my favorite game of all time. However, I played it so obsessively, it wrecked my grades when I was in 7th grade.

6. Rock Band series. Same as above, but with organic chem in college.
I almost put Majora’s Mask on my list because I never liked it and I’m an unabashed zelda fanboy. Ocarina got wore out in my house.

Heian

Molten Core Raider
Dragon age 2 is one of the reason that I didn't bought EA games for many years. Actually the only one I got was Titan Fall 2 and it was really awesome. No Mass effect 3, nothing...

Grimrock is also a good one. Loved the idea since I have a soft spot for Might and Magic, old dnd games and Arcana on snes. But I did not like Grimrock very much.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
All the talk about games taking X amount of time or people powering through so they have time to go outside and touch grass, it got me thinking.

What are some games that you spent a lot of time on and regret it? Not necessarily the worst games, but more games that took up time that you'll never get back and just weren't worth the trouble. Games that just had no respect at all for your time, or felt thoroughly pointless to have played. I've got several. I know I'm forgetting a few too.

7. Suikoden IV: Anyone who has played Suikoden knows how good that series is. Especially the first two. An absolutely rockin' time. Well, not the fourth one! This shit cost me like a week of my life. The visuals are bland as hell, the character models look idiotic and have tiny heads, the story is unmemorable, the music sucks (which is super weird for a Suikoden game) and I wanted back all the time I put into it. Sad thing is, Suikoden V came along later and was waaaay better but I don't think too many people played it. What the hell happened here? At least it wasn't too long.

6. Breath of Fire IV: Finally finished this on a Backlog Challenge here a couple years ago. One of those games that didn't age well at all and was probably a lot better in-era 20 years ago. It took me like 6 years to get through because it was so ungodly boring most of the time. And so drawn-out. Most of what you do in the game is inconsequential or pointless to the overall narrative Just couldn't compare to BoF1-3 at all for me. I think the worst part was the overhead view was kinda low-angled, the environments were very built-up, and you could only rotate the camera to a couple of positions. What all of this means is that I constantly couldn't see where my characters were because the terrain was in the way. The villain was interesting and the story cutting to him frequently was the best aspect of it. Still, took like 55 hours to get through this thing and I didn't have fun. Damn my need to complete a series. And I didn't even complete this one because when I tried BoF Dragon Quarter (5) I noped out because it's so dismal and brown and everyone talks like some kind of goggle boy anime asshole.

5. Pokemon Diamond: This game is SLOW. The battles take ages, every little thing has to be spelled out, and it's legitimately a sleep aid. Was the last Pokemon game I played for literally almost ten years and I regretted all the time I spent on it. Especially considering Pokemon Platinum (improved version of this game) eventually came out during the several years I was chipping away at this, and fixed all of its issues. So if I'd waited a couple years I would have gotten to play a much better version of it and might have actually stuck with the series instead of tapping out and missing several gens.

4a and 4b. WoW, Battle for Azeroth and Shadowlands: I liked everything up through Legion. Wanted to keep up, and made two attempts to return to it with these two expansions. Both times I was bored out of my mind. I managed to finish BFA's main story, but Shadowlands I couldn't even muster that up. Dragonflight seems cool and all but I felt so much like I'd wasted the 20-30 hours I spent on these two that I didn't even look back.

3a and 3b. Zelda: Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks: I don't actually think these qualify by my own criteria because I don't entirely regret playing them. I wanted to finish the Zelda series and you can't do that without knocking out these two at some point. Man, I hate DS stylus controls when they aren't necessary though. And they weren't necessary for either of these. Both were a slog and I regretted spending so much time on them. I wish the actual good Zelda games were as long and expansive as these.

3c. Metroid Pime Hunters: Ditto here on stylus controls. Every series I like had to get a shitty DS installment with shitty stylus controls. Had to do it for completion, wished I spent that time on any actual good Metroid.

2. Assassin's Creed Valhalla: Spent like 70 hours on this and it was SO BORING. They got rid of a lot of the assassin elements in favor of a more generic combat system. No tall buildings to scale outside of Londinium. Just didn't feel like Assassin's Creed. Great if you like axes, but if I want to play an axe game God of War 1 and 2 are right there. Nowhere near as bad as Lufia: Ruins of Lore, but it took up so much goddamn time that I seriously regretted playing it. AC Odyssey also took up too much time and was too drawn-out but at least it was enjoyable. Surprised they took the one complaint people had about Odyssey (too long / drawn-out / padded) and made it literally twice as bad in Valhalla.

1. Lufia: Ruins of Lore: Hands-down the biggest waste of time I've ever played. I liked Lufia on the SNES and loved Lufia 2 (top ten RPG on the system easily). Lufia 3 on the Game Boy Color was kind of iffy with the random dungeons and everything, but it was inoffensive and easy to get through. Then we got this one, on the GBA. It was so horrendously bad and it took up like 30 hours of my life at a time when I should have been doing any number of other things. The game makes you do every dungeon multiple times for no reason, the dungeon layouts are super-confusing messes, the combat is so basic you'd think it was an 8-bit game from the early 80's, the characters are all carbon copies of each other with very limited movesets, the dialogue is laughable, it doesn't have any real connection to the rest of the series outside of one semi-neat cameo, and it's just so incredibly shit. Was also depressed from my first GF leaving me, so while I slogged through this I also had the added benefit of finding myself rethinking my life choices.

View attachment 480547
Also, look at this fucking character portrait. That's the main face you're looking at for most of the game.
Every Diablo game except maybe the first one.

Firesofheaven.org

Honestly probably World of Warcraft. Played that game for 7-ish years then another 2.5 years more recently. At no point did I ever have more fun in WoW than I had in Dark Age of Camelot, or other even shittier MMOs like Warhammer Online or even shit like APB.

But the absolute masterclass of wasted time, hated every-fucking-minute-of-it was AION. Killed 60 trillion harpies, hit max level and instantly quit. Never had any fun for even a second.

• 1Worf

joz123

Potato del Grande
Definitely WoW. When they launched the tokens, I played for probably a year just because I used in-game money to buy tokens for subs.

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
I definitely spent more time on WoW/EQ and Dota 2 than I would have liked looking back on my life, but at the same time I’m pretty happy with how my life has turned out so far as I shitpost from the couch with my wife and dogs watching baseball so I dunno.

I enjoy watching pro DOTA2 but I haven’t played in like 7 years once you realize it’s just a game and it’s not like you’re ever going to go pro it changed my perspective on it (lol)… not that I ever planned to be a pro player but like who really gives a crap about your MMR at the end of the day.

• 1Like

Tide27

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
All MMOs.

My first entry was Everquest and ended up dedicating every free minute of my existence in either playing, or reading forums about it.

Played end game with the #2 guild on our server and never missed a raid.

Wow was the same thing...class leader for the top guild on the server and had 100% raid attendance.

I was so addicted to MMOs that I let relationships fall apart, I let my college GPA drop like a rock, and my life outside of Norrath and Azeroth was a fucking dumpster fire.

Any other game I can pick up and put down with no problem, but MMOs I felt like I had to not only keep up, but be at the bleeding edge which meant non stop commitment.

I don't blame the games, I blame myself. Had I known the destruction it would have caused my real life, I would never have started them.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Szlia

Some puzzle games fit that bill... I played 31 hours of a game called LYNE waiting for it to stop being mundane but it never did, it just has thousands of puzzles. On the mindless and unrewarding I also spent waaaay too much time playing through several variations of Picross games.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Portal 2. Good game, but wasn't worth full entry price.
But portal 2 came in the orange box.

Wait that was the original. I rather liked portal 2 though.

As far as regret, probably eq tlp. Played on vulaak and holy shit the shitbag and degenerate behavior is was off the charts. Zaide knows what im talking about. GM of the guild I was in(the "top" guild on the server) was a monumental douchebag that had zero issues with using macroquest to fuck with people all while running his mouth about how amazing he was. I was using showeq myself so I could see the guy warping all over the place pulling massive trains on people. Rest of the officers where equally pieces of shit embezzling everything from the guild bank.

Last edited:

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Every Diablo game except maybe the first one.

Firesofheaven.org

Honestly probably World of Warcraft. Played that game for 7-ish years then another 2.5 years more recently. At no point did I ever have more fun in WoW than I had in Dark Age of Camelot, or other even shittier MMOs like Warhammer Online or even shit like APB.

But the absolute masterclass of wasted time, hated every-fucking-minute-of-it was AION. Killed 60 trillion harpies, hit max level and instantly quit. Never had any fun for even a second.

Those first 20-30 levels in WAR are still more fun than anything WoW has put out. Even going back on the emu again some years ago the fun was the exact same. Too bad they couldn't land the mid to endgame swing.

• 1Solidarity

Caeden

I could almost list WoW but I managed to thread the needle of maintaining a career, being behind the bleeding edge slightly, and made great friends during it. It did almost wreck my first marriage but the she started and loved it. She quit games after Wotlk. All games. And turned into a whore the next few years.

I could list d2 but it kept me away from EQ mostly and I was able to maintain a high GPA during that time.

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I have tons of fond memories from mmos and also from rpgs. I have almost none from mobas with a very tiny exception of playing lol with a few people a decade ago. Mobas are easily #1 biggest waste for me.

Final fantasy 12+ were fucking terrible. I forced myself to get through 13s and I never finished 15. I cant think of any other game where I just tortured myself for the sake of completion... then did it again almost 4 more times.

Pokemon go. Orna is a better game for that shit; wish anyone anywhere played it. Mostly though these gps games are trash. Also some fuck hit my brother while playing it so theres that.

• 1Like

Caliane

Not many I would say I regret spending time on. as, if I didnt like the game, I'd just stop.

WoW after the first year or so. Depressed and playing the game as a GM was more like a job then fun. Don't regret quiting that cold turkey at all.
Lineage 2 gets a similar nod. met some friends there. but was mostly playing out of depression, then enjoyment.
Rift not quite the same. was out of the depression at that point iirc. but MMOS do feel like such time sinks sometimes.

Starbound. EA game spent too much time wasted on updates, starting over, for a game that never came around.

• 1Like

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm not sure if there are any that I 'regret'. There are definitely some that I wish I was more into but I just couldn't do it like Red Dead Redemption II (and I love the GTA series). Another one may be Dark Souls (and perhaps souls-type games in general). Want to love them, but maybe not just good enough + not enough time to devote to them as I would want.