Games You Regret Spending Time On?

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
But the absolute masterclass of wasted time, hated every-fucking-minute-of-it was AION. Killed 60 trillion harpies, hit max level and instantly quit. Never had any fun for even a second.
I didn't like much of that game, but being able to have 2 different coloured eyes was great. And the little leaf umbrellas were super cute.

• 1Hodjing
  • 1Cringe
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
There's a lot of games I probably spent too much time on relative to the enjoyment derived but my only regrets are MMORPGs that go under. When you consider one of the main goals in RPGs is progression over time, having a game shut down makes all the grinding feel completely wasted. Even if I never go back to EQ or WoW again at least I know my characters are out there and there's "proof" of my progression in the game. I'm sure there's more in this category but off the top of my head:

Earth and Beyond (added sadness because it killed Westwood)
Auto Assault
City of Heroes

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Plenty I regret spending money on. Time, not much…I don’t play a game long if it’s not fun.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
BDO in the beginning. Until I realized they hid all their mechanics and the amount of time you'd have to spend to be competitive in pvp was equivalent to multiple phds.

Now I play BDO casually as a PVE when I just wanna tune out and watch some lectures or something. But that game had so much potential but rangs gonna rang.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Life.

Lots of hype but ultimately underwhelming for the time investment.

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Edgelord
Reactions: 7 users

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
Ok I got one just thought about it.

I regret ever playing FFXI but only because after my parents took me to buy it it in middle school or whatever after installing I then walked downstairs to make sure they were cool with me putting a subscription on their credit card and walked in on them doing it.

(to this day it occasionally comes up every few years and they claim they just bought me a game I was supposed to be distracted and their plan was foolproof)

• 5Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Breath of Fire 4 - I got far into this game and its annoying story to reach a point where I couldn't find a save spot and then died to something I wasn't prepared for...losing like 3 hours of my life. Stopped playing it completely and threw it out. This is on top of the fact that the story had nothing to do with the original BoF trilogy. It was like a completely different game with the BoF label on it.

Outer Wilds - Overhyped. Pushed as some storytelling masterpiece but is basically a hide-and-seek for lore on top of crappy flight controls that make you suddenly bounce off a planet and get sent hurtling through space.

Darksiders 3 - First two games were great. Sure, the 2nd wasn't as awesome as the first, but it was still enjoyable. The third one of course has an obnoxious main character with shitty controls and a terrible Souls-ish knockoff attempt at gameplay.

• 1Like

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
Some days, all of them except a few. Most days, none of them except a couple standouts like FF13-3, Yakuza 0, and Witcher 3. Only played 13-3 for a couple hours and Yak0 and W3 more because I played dozens of hours more than I should have hoping those games would click with me and I would get what everyone else loved about them.

The last year I spent playing EverQuest, I regret that. I hated the game by that point and was a complete dick to some people because I was not balancing RL frustrations (Work and pregnant wife) properly and took it out some people who deserved much better than I gave them.

For the most part, regret is a waste of time and energy. Acknowledge why something is regrettable, learn from it, adjust and/or make amends, and/or move on. Not saying I walk that path well but I am trying.

KoahLei

Karen
Screenshot_20230701_105642_Steam~2.jpg

• 2WTF
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
FF14 May end up there. I am still in Shadowbringers and it’s better. But it’s one I’ve had a nagging feeling I’m doing to say I’ve done it.

• 1Like

Aazrael

Silver Baronet of the Realm
FF13-3? with the Doomsday clock ticking and stressing me out made me abandon it halfway. The only FF game I did not beat.

• 1Solidarity

Siliconemelons

Mine was a game that I liked and a story that promised so much and a meaningful connection to greater events.

But that tie in just turned out to be nothing and everything in the game gets negated and meaningless and made me just urgh and regretted buying in any to this extended story stuff event beyond this game or other games or media related to it.

StarWars Republic Comando

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Those first 20-30 levels in WAR are still more fun than anything WoW has put out. Even going back on the emu again some years ago the fun was the exact same. Too bad they couldn't land the mid to endgame swing.
The only part of WAR I didn't like was the laggy/performance issues. Having this weird 0.3 second lag on every ability, and 'mythic seconds' was what took me out of the game the most. I thought the endgame was fine, as long as you were playing the outnumbered faction with friends who were good at games. The fact that the city takeover stuff didn't seem to actually work was a problem, but farming people in regular sieges was fun enough.

I happened to play that game with a mix of some of my favorite guildmates from across DAoC, WoW, and a few other games in between, and we had a blast farming the Destruction newbs who outnumbered us >3-1, aside from the general laggy bugginess of the game.

I also sold my account for 450 bucks when we quit, so I absolutely have no regrets from that game.

SWTOR was pretty similar, on a smaller scale. I had about 6-8 PvP buddies and we just played the battlefronts or whatever (aka huttball) for the first month, then I flipped my account for 200 bucks after we hit the max pvp rank and quit.

• 1Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
(to this day it occasionally comes up every few years...)

This is the most disturbing part of that. When that didn't happen to me (AND IT DEFINITELY FUCKING DIDN'T) I hauled ass out of there and will take that shit to my grave.

But if bringing up the time Daddy blew his load in Mommy doggy style is a cherished family memory...

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Xevy

Log Wizard
Any Eastern MMO I KNEW I shouldn't have played but then some one bought it for me or forced me to play it. They're always shiny garbage.

Every. Single. One.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
4. All PlayStation Portable games. Particularly the GTA and the Daxter game.

I know what you mean, PSP spinoffs of AAA games tended to be big downgrades from their main serieses, and not even worth it for completionism. I stopped worrying about them after a while.

I could probably put "all DS games" on here in the same vein. I really didn't like the DS. So much stylus controls. Everything from Metroid to Zelda to Kirby Mass Attack had the stupid stylus controls. Mario on DS somehow managed to escape the stylus controls at least.

3DS is significantly better for spinoffs and the like, and generally a much less mediocre system. I suspect Vita is considerably better than PSP in a similar way.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
But portal 2 came in the orange box.

Wait that was the original. I rather liked portal 2 though.

As far as regret, probably eq tlp. Played on vulaak and holy shit the shitbag and degenerate behavior is was off the charts. Zaide knows what im talking about. GM of the guild I was in(the "top" guild on the server) was a monumental douchebag that had zero issues with using macroquest to fuck with people all while running his mouth about how amazing he was. I was using showeq myself so I could see the guy warping all over the place pulling massive trains on people. Rest of the officers where equally pieces of shit embezzling everything from the guild bank.

Top guild on Vulak... was that EoE? I think Faceless was also on there but wasn't big yet IIRC.

Fippy is the one I mostly hear about since it had TL/AoS, Citizen/OGC, etc.

nevergone

Low IQ Vegan Pacifist
<Gold Donor>
Everquest - not because it wasn't an enjoyable game, but because it was adulterated to the point where the experience can never be recaptured.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Otto

Ultima 9: What's a Paladin. Game was such a mess that the series creator was fired and the online forums closed after the first and only major patch. Cyberpunk's launch was smoother for me.

Game was also optimized for 3dfx Glide and was crash happy with Direct3D. I Sold my Monster 3D II SLI setup and bought a GeForce 256 SDR at the time too.

I could ramble on and on about the story and how it forgot or ignored almost everything that happened in the previous games.

WoW: Shadowlands and Dragonflight. The spark is gone for me and Shadowlands helped break my addiction and fear of missing out. Dragonflight is the first time I've been annoyed by the voice actors. I had to mute them to get through it.

• 1Like

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
This is the most disturbing part of that. When that didn't happen to me (AND IT DEFINITELY FUCKING DIDN'T) I hauled ass out of there and will take that shit to my grave.

But if bringing up the time Daddy blew his load in Mommy doggy style is a cherished family memory...
Yeah that's fair I guess it came up once which was enough for my lifetime. My wife brings it up every few years to mess with me.