Games You Regret Spending Time On?

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Did you have anything you would consider a Peak experience - Wikipedia during those times playing EQ? Did you learn anything important about your fellow humans during that time? Did you acquire any management skills or discover any leadership traits during that time?

This thread is particularly helpful to me, as I am writing a novel where the protagonist regrets and feels shame for the five years she spent addicted to a 'metaverse rpg' even though those experiences, while costly in many ways, greatly contributed to the person she is at the start of the novel. Some of her old friends that still play continue to have peak experiences and other meaningful moments in the game she was addicted to, and some are even financially successful streamers.

I wasn't aware of the concept of peak experience but looking back I definitely had a few, there's distinct moments where everything felt blissful that I still recall every time I come across the same spot in EQ or WoW even though the actual moment is 15-20 years ago now. I'd describe it as being almost lost in the game, everything just falling into place. The right atmosphere, certain music, playing a class that feels just right etc. It's hard to repeat those moments (if it's even possible) and the advance of meta-gaming stuff like voice-chat, parse culture and probably streamers probably make it even harder as they inevitably take you out of the game world.

Being an officer in a guild was all the experience I needed to know that I never want to be a manager. I wasn't bad at it, just not something I'd ever want to have to do professionally as I got no fulfillment out of it at all.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Everquest - not because it wasn't an enjoyable game, but because it was adulterated to the point where the experience can never be recaptured.
The shear euphoria I had when we first downed RZ with only 40 characters when everyone here was boohooing about how hard he was with a full raid was probably one of the most intense fuck yea feeings I’ve ever had, never felt even close to that satisfied with game before or since, though I’ve come close in EVE a few times. We had our best kiters with those 10 instant cast snare clicky things from fungus grove and used a bard outside and CoH shenanigans to stretch the fight out for the I think 7 or 8 mins we needed, though we also had a lot of charmed dual wielding pigs to help. To get tons of the snare items we started all three caller events at max difficulty and had the goranga tribe farm it for a few days.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I wasn't aware of the concept of peak experience but looking back I definitely had a few, there's distinct moments where everything felt blissful that I still recall every time I come across the same spot in EQ or WoW even though the actual moment is 15-20 years ago now. I'd describe it as being almost lost in the game, everything just falling into place. The right atmosphere, certain music, playing a class that feels just right etc. It's hard to repeat those moments (if it's even possible) and the advance of meta-gaming stuff like voice-chat, parse culture and probably streamers probably make it even harder as they inevitably take you out of the game world.

Being an officer in a guild was all the experience I needed to know that I never want to be a manager. I wasn't bad at it, just not something I'd ever want to have to do professionally as I got no fulfillment out of it at all.

I also get that feeling from different EQ zones/memories, but not from going back to them on TLP unfortunately. All of this was from Live in the 2000's:

-Sunderrock Springs in TSS. Ambience, music, the scenery and Southwest US Navajo vibe to all of it. Remember sitting there listening to that and plotting out raid setups or how to finish the Shield of the Otherworld (soloed that in-era, somehow, very fond memory, took a lot of effort).

-Katta Castrum and the music there. So ambient and easy on the ears. Would sit there drawing up checklists of things I had unfinished in the game or goals I had to meet, then plan them out and get groups together, etc.

-Secrets of Faydwer in general. Liked all these zones and their music and their weird themes of robot gnome armies and Kerafyrm plotting a takeover. The revised Steamfont and the music there brings back strong memories of being hyped for SoF.

-To a lesser extent, I remember being really in love with Wall of Slaughter back in the day and figuring out all of its secrets, getting loot to sell, dealing with the various dangers of it. On TLP it's just a drab dustball of a zone that I run through to get to other zones.

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
TBH cannot think of any game. If the game sucked I quit pretty fast. Even Tides of Numenera wasn't that bad.

One thing I do regret is time on a forum - the Vanguard Saga of Heroes forum. I had a 2-digit user ID and wasted a ton of time on there debating game mechanics. Only for the game to be a 100% ineptly designed and managed bomb from day 1.

"game hype you regret buying into" is more accurate. :confused:

Last edited:

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Ok I got one just thought about it.

I regret ever playing FFXI but only because after my parents took me to buy it it in middle school or whatever after installing I then walked downstairs to make sure they were cool with me putting a subscription on their credit card and walked in on them doing it.

(to this day it occasionally comes up every few years and they claim they just bought me a game I was supposed to be distracted and their plan was foolproof)
Finish the story please. What position were they in and how hard was dad pumping?

• 1Barf
  • 1Worf
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 2 users

amigo

Lord Nagafen Raider
Diablo3, should've treated it just like D4 and don't give a fuck. At least I never gave those woketards any $$ afterwards.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Yeah, I would definitely echo a lot of people's comments about EQ. I was lucky that I was 28 when it was released and just got out of a 5 year relationship. She was still a friend and used to complain that my phone was always busy until I finally got cable optical internet lol.

I recall looking at my /played and realizing I spent a full 25% of my life (including sleeping time) in the world of Norrath over 4 years. There was regret at the time, for sure. In retrospect, not so much.

However, I quit playing in a guild during a Plane of Innovation raid where I realized my time is far more important than waiting on a bunch of nerds from around North America to get their shit together. From then on I just used it as a time waster. Played WoW in exactly the same way: Never joined a guild, and really enjoyed the Looking for Raid mechanic when it was introduced. And when they nerfed the LFR drops, I quit WoW forever.

I went back and played EQ on Steam years later for another 565 hours, grinding a solo shaman through early raid content with a mercenary and thoroughly enjoyed it a second time.

I occasionally regret and then don't regret the thousands of hours I have spent on PoE (10,000) and War Thunder (2,500). I immersed myself in PoE after my divorce, and War Thunder during the pandemic, so they had their purpose as well.