Gardening

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
I only have flower beds and my herb garden this year but my parents and my friends are keeping me in produce! Yay - just had a friend drop by with tomatoes - still warm from the garden. I immediately made a fave from childhood -tomato on bread with mayo and miracle whip and also ate the rest of that warm tomato standing over the sink, salt shaker in action. YUM.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I only have flower beds and my herb garden this year but my parents and my friends are keeping me in produce! Yay - just had a friend drop by with tomatoes - still warm from the garden. I immediately made a fave from childhood -tomato on bread with mayo and miracle whip and also ate the rest of that warm tomato standing over the sink, salt shaker in action. YUM.
Tomatoes are frowned upon here on Rerolled.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I may be at the point of being sick of peas. Runners, Snow, and Sugar Snap. We've had a constant diet of them. And radishes. And Rhubarb. Now the cabbage is ready. Lots of it. Raspberries going strong. Kale, Swiss Chard, Boston lettuce all good. Soon there will be tomatoes, which are delicious, by the way. Fuck your empirical data. Zucchinis will be soon, cantaloupe, and watermelons well on their way. I even have a few pumpkins already started. Corn should be pretty soon, too.

Things are early this year. Needing to water a lot.

Caliane

So.. uh.. I killed my bonsai tree over the winter. Winter's are fairly terrible in MA. I'm not sure what the best winter care is. It definitely hit below 0 during Feb this year, something like -9F one night.

There's two schools of thought I've read - one is insulating the pot with bags and mulch so that the roots can't freeze. I don't know if this works up here. The other is to bring it in the basement and try to keep it below 40F (arbitrary number I Forgot) so that it still thinks it's winter and doesn't try to bloom/whatever.

Any tips on the bonsai front? It was rather expensive so I'd prefer not to kill another.
uh, yeah. definitely bring it in, would be #1. Not taking a potted tree in, in Mass, seems a bit crazy to me. Got a photo of it? exactly how big is the pot?

Protecting trees/shrubs in winter.
1.Build a cage around it. solid enough to carry snow, and keep it off branches.
2. wrap cage in burlap. To prevent wind damage.
3. Mulch base alot, to provide frost/freeze protection. (leaves/straw work too) freeze line is 3ft around here.

How to Protect Trees and Shrubs From Winter Weather

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
Ordered some Carolina reapers to pot and grow in idea of a yard here in the Bay Area of California will post pictures when they arrive

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Not sure if there is a place to identify plants if so point me in that direction but found this nasty thing in my back yard a couple years back that I can't identify. Now it has spread to my front yard, I have tried digging it up, weed and grass killer, boiling water. Basically everything short of gasoline, seems like every time I cut the grass more of it shows up. They spread out from a center root and dig into everything, at one point they were eating my fence, those spikes make it through everything but thick leather gloves. Live in Texas(Houston)

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
House plants thread in general has turned into a bit more general plant based sharing and information. This thread is much more dead, I don't know that its a better place, but that's where the activity is.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I've been ordered to create raised garden beds for the veggie garden this year.

What's the word on treated wood for foodstuffs gardens? Will I die if I use certain treated woods? What aboot straight up cedar?

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>

What's the word on treated wood for foodstuffs gardens? Will I die if I use certain treated woods? What aboot straight up cedar?

Well, as there is arsenic in treated wood, it's a bad idea to use it for raised beds. Find some cedar, or build it with treated wood and put in a liner.

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
Into the ground, I have planted dianthus, portulaca, various hostas, coral bells, some other random ground cover that I can't recall the name, creeping jenny, lavender, two types of basil, rosemary, a rose bush, 4 varieties of tomatoes (a roma, a cherry and two heirloom yellows), and 4 varieties of peppers; one bell and three hot chiles. I also have various potted annuals with coleus and geraniums and one hanging basket that has mini wave petunias.
I have been busy.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Don't use treated wood. If you have to, use a composite material and liner.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
guys, i've been in either condos or managed properties for 20 years, get a house soon in 2-3months, most houses are fucking 2acres of lawn!

I need a lawn for noobs or some shit, about the only thing i know i'll buy right away is a snowblower, yea even then i've had the landscapers shovel the snow.

I plan to get all electric lawn shit, i don't want to deal with gas and a gas can and checking spark plugs and oil for another device.
and for the sprinklers i plan on doing this new thing that just came out
Melnor RAINCLOUD Internet Controlled Smart 4 Valve Garden Watering Irrigation Timer
with this attached
https://www.amazon.com/Melnor-AquaS...rd_wg=Givpi&psc=1&refRID=4BQET4F6JP0KT0MA6S67

Melnor AquaSentry Moisture Sensor Rain Delay for Raincloud

So it'll be hands free watering for life???

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
guys, i've been in either condos or managed properties for 20 years, get a house soon in 2-3months, most houses are fucking 2acres of lawn!

I need a lawn for noobs or some shit, about the only thing i know i'll buy right away is a snowblower, yea even then i've had the landscapers shovel the snow.

I plan to get all electric lawn shit, i don't want to deal with gas and a gas can and checking spark plugs and oil for another device.
and for the sprinklers i plan on doing this new thing that just came out
Melnor RAINCLOUD Internet Controlled Smart 4 Valve Garden Watering Irrigation Timer with this attached

Melnor AquaSentry Moisture Sensor Rain Delay for Raincloud

So it'll be hands free watering for life???
I shovel and/or have the neighbor use their 4 wheeler with a blade for my snow removal, can't find a good enough snow blower to make it worth my money.
In re the 2 acres of land and using electric, this worries me (I don't know how the men here think about this but I have at least that much to care for and I prefer gas to electric or battery operated). You may need to consider hiring a lawn service; if not - K State offers you the following:
Horticulture Info Center | Extension | Horticulture and Natural Resources | Kansas State University
Best of luck to you and your beloved in your new Midwestern Prairie adventure!