Gears of War 5

spronk

FPS noob
Gears of War 5, now with the simpler rebranded name Gears 5, launched Sep 6th 2019 on Xbox and PC. Regular and Ultimate versions are on gamepass and gamepass ultimate respectively, cross play and cross save. The game is also on Steam

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
If you have a gaming PC or X and don't have gamepass ultimate you can currently get a 1 month trial for $2. TOTALLY WORTH IT. You can play this game and a bunch others for 30 days, cancel anytime, and have gotten your moneys worth. I'd recommend just getting 3 years of gamepass gold ($95 at costco, similar prices elsewhere online) and then convert that to 3 years gamepass ultimate.

Played 2 hours on my gaming PC today and really enjoyed it. I finished Gears of War 4 last weekend, haven't played GOW2-3 or 1-2, not sure, just played the remaster and 4. G5 feels like a straight up continuation of GOW4 so far, same chars weapons abilities etc.

Graphics are drop dead gorgeous though, especially on PC. I'm only running on a 1080ti at 3440x1440, no Raytracing or HDR, but it looks fantastic. I have it installed on my X as well to try out this weekend.

The game has a SHIT LOAD of content, from:

the campaign - 10 to 15 hours I'd guess, multiple difficulty options.
Escape mode, sp/coop gameplay
Horde mode ala tons of games
Versus mode arcade
Escalation

PemPYnD.png

I was never a big Gears multiplayer guy but I figure launch weekend on a new MP game is a good time to get in

rruo0Pf.png

OrnateSparklingBluet-size_restricted.gif

PalatableOilyAfricangoldencat-size_restricted.gif

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
Heard it has something like 4.5 hours of cut scenes alone

spronk

FPS noob
You can play the campaign solo, with 2 people, or 3 people and just friends or matchmake I think if you really want (but why). At least 4 difficulty levels, probably a 5th unlocks after you complete. Not really much to the campaign i think, the replayability is the multiplayer, horde mode, etc.

Zero issues with PC so far, and usually I have fuck tons of problems at launch with games crashing, weird artifacts, driver issues, etc so happy so far. Would highly, highly recommend the $2 game pass ultimate trial if you don't have it. Its a 55 gig download and install on PC plus a 3 gig ultra textures (if you want), about the same size on xbox.

Only problem i've heard about is people getting DC'd from servers when playing horde mode for long games and losing out on rewards (OUCH!) so don't do that for now, and multiplayer not matchmaking successfully for some people, I'd assume server overloads that get smoothed quickly.

NOTE: there are two levels of game pass. Regular, which gets you the game Sept 10th, and Ultimate, which lets you play the game NOW. I don't really know the difference, i'm sure its a one line thing

MP has a bunch of skins and stuff, you can get the terminator and sarah conner skins now

le0x8hqtyyk31.png

spronk

FPS noob
ninja is also streaming World of Warcraft classic (with 10k viewers) on mixer and NOT gears of war 5 so thats... uh... interesting

GOw5 is like the 5th game sorted by viewers on ultimate launch day so not sure whats going on there. Maybe they are waiting for regular launch day? Its also not top 20 on twitch.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
ninja is also streaming World of Warcraft classic (with 10k viewers) on mixer and NOT gears of war 5 so thats... uh... interesting

GOw5 is like the 5th game sorted by viewers on ultimate launch day so not sure whats going on there. Maybe they are waiting for regular launch day? Its also not top 20 on twitch.

I cant get signed into xbox live, tis down down and down

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
sukik sukik and I played for 2 hours and had a blast. FUCK xbox live atm it cut our night short.

spronk

FPS noob
i can play solo SP campaign just fine on PC right now so at least if you just wanna play alone in the dark you are good

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
i can play solo SP campaign just fine on PC right now so at least if you just wanna play alone in the dark you are good

Yeah going to wait. Gears is so much better coop with friends but I hear ya thanks.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
So if I have Ultimate Game Pass (thanks Costco for 2yrs at $95), is there any way to share my copy with a brother who doesn't have Live or an Xbox (or the game lol) and somehow co-op? I know Xbox allows some kind of library share thing, idk. That was probably a retarded question. Played the first 4 gears co-op, and it's so much fucking better co-op... but really what isn't?

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
So if I have Ultimate Game Pass (thanks Costco for 2yrs at $95), is there any way to share my copy with a brother who doesn't have Live or an Xbox (or the game lol) and somehow co-op? I know Xbox allows some kind of library share thing, idk. That was probably a retarded question. Played the first 4 gears co-op, and it's so much fucking better co-op... but really what isn't?

I don't know the answer to your question, but I can really buy the 24 month gold from costco, apply it to my pc account, and convert all of it to an ultimate pass for pc for like $2?

edit: didnt' see spronks earlier post...this seems like a great deal

Last edited:
  • 1Truth!

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
If you have a gaming PC or X and don't have gamepass ultimate you can currently get a 1 month trial for $2. TOTALLY WORTH IT. You can play this game and a bunch others for 30 days, cancel anytime, and have gotten your moneys worth. I'd recommend just getting 3 years of gamepass gold ($95 at costco, similar prices elsewhere online) and then convert that to 3 years gamepass ultimate.

Man I can't find any of these crazy deals, and with November around the corner figure something will pop up then. If I do the $2 trial now, wonder if that would disqualify me from taking advantage of future deals since I wouldn't be a "new member" anymore.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Man I can't find any of these crazy deals, and with November around the corner figure something will pop up then. If I do the $2 trial now, wonder if that would disqualify me from taking advantage of future deals since I wouldn't be a "new member" anymore.

I did Costco: Bought a $95 2 yr live card, and then you buy the $1 ultimate for a month and it converts it. If you do it now, yes, I would imagine it would kill your chances down the road.

• 1Like

Tauntworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Game is gorgeous, holy shit. Playing 3440x1440. Best looking game I've played lately. I personally wish they stuck w/ the Gears1 and 2 aesthetic, where it was dark and gritty. The colors are rather vibrant and highly saturated w/ the last two entries into the series, but I still love the universe regardless.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I did Costco: Bought a $95 2 yr live card, and then you buy the $1 ultimate for a month and it converts it. If you do it now, yes, I would imagine it would kill your chances down the road.

Yeah unfortunately no Costco around me or family, so never had an account.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
No Costco here either but BJs had 2 years for about $90 too when I bought mine around E3 time.

spronk

FPS noob
once you convert to gamepass ultimate you cannot convert "back" afaik, so the rule is add ALL the possible time of gold/gamepass regular to your account FIRST, then convert to ultimate as its a one way trip. Once you convert you can still "add" gamepass/GWG time to your account, but you get it at a reduced rate: a 12 month GWG card would equal 8 months of gamepass ultimate for example.

Whereas if you did 12 months of GWG (or 3 years, the max) first, then convert you get 3 years of ultimate essentially giving you like a year for free.

game definitely gets even more gorgeous and crazy, game doesn't feel super bloated either for the SP like too many games do now

Last edited:
  • 1Like

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
game definitely gets even more gorgeous and crazy, game doesn't feel super bloated either for the SP like too many games do now

I feel like I'm playing in Alien Resurrection. Melee with Lahni is satisfying. Not sure if it's this way through other clients, but on Game Pass, ultra res pack is not automatically installed. I had to download it in the game through video settings, then restart. Then everything was shiny and chrome.

Last edited: