General Gaming News and Discussion

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
The fundamental issue is what we enjoy and the system that created what we enjoyed makes little sense in 2022 and beyond. From a financial/business standpoint making actual content isnt worth while to companies when they can churn out barebones games for nothing and charge $10-20 a cosmetic for said barebones game then rake in literal billions.

We had a nice thing, but that nice thing is all but dead.
I dont even mind the cosmetics thing if there is an actual game there to play. But im not talking about cosmetics here, as in the point of mobile games (but this is also slowly infiltrating consoles and PC). They literally are designed to stop you in your tracks from progressing unless you gamble RL$$ on a better hero, or a better weapon and so on. Some even stop you from progressing using some currency you have to buy in order to play longer.

And this is literally like 90% of the mobile games market right now.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
NFTs will never play out like that. Companies that create marketable IPs are never going to let their marketable IP be controlled by the "free market". More importantly NFTs do not work that way and will never work that way as NFTs are literally nothing more than urls on the blockchain, not actual tangible data.
At the current time, an NFT is a verifiable pointer to an object, just like any object on your account in any online game. An NFT Sword of Goblinslaying is a pointer in the same way that a regular RPG Sword of Goblinslaying in your character's inventory is a pointer to Sword of Goblinslaying object in the game's database. The big difference being it is externally verifiable, externally tradable pointer rather than a pointer only existing in relationship to the backend database of that specific game's servers.

That said, in a future internet protocol, say a hypothetical "metaverse of things" protocol, there's no reason that the "NFT" could not just be a cryptographically signed and verifiable copy of the actual data itself.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
The mobile market would probably make 0 dollars if it wasn't for using shady skinner boxes. A whole industry would be basically gone overnight.

Nothing of value would be lost. I'm not recommending legislating it away, but I sure do wish people exercised more discipline and just didn't buy that shit.

Said by someone with no kids. It literally takes 30 minurtes for you kid getting a hold of your phone and raking that $5000 up no problem. Its not about kid control

That is absolutely about kid control. I could give my kids all my devices, passwords, and biometrics and they would never in a million years do that because I taught them how and why not to do stupid shit with money, especially if it isn't theirs.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Chargebacks are really easy and they have the added benefit of getting the kid banned from whatever they stole your money to play.

Now, those damned kids stealing quarters and empty soda bottles to pump quarters into the local video arcade, that's the true problem here. There's no way to get those soda bottles back! *shakes fist in boomer*

your_mum

Trakanon Raider
That said, in a future internet protocol, say a hypothetical "metaverse of things" protocol, there's no reason that the "NFT" could not just be a cryptographically signed and verifiable copy of the actual data itself.
this guy gets it

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
NFTs will never be implemented in a good way for the consumer. Probably.

• 2Truth!
  • 1Seriously?
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
We already pay more now for less content and freedom of use of said content than ever before.
Got any stats to back that up? Or are you just letting nostalgia and rose colored glasses talk out of your ass for you?

• 1Solidarity

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Got any stats to back that up? Or are you just letting nostalgia and rose colored glasses talk out of your ass for you?
There's some real bullshit DRM out there, but that's about the only thing I can think of that matches his description.

Video games are cheap as fuck in inflation-adjusted dollars. Most SNES games were $59.99 or $69.99 and a few were $79.99... in early 90s dollars, and most SNES games that weren't Final Fantasy 2/3 or Chrono Trigger weren't very long...

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Have you not seen how modern gaming especially big titles are now essentially Saas? Or how little control you have in general. Remember when SC2 launched and Blizzard said anything you make in the custom map maker is their property not yours? Look at Rockstar, make another GTA? Nah fuck that continue to milk GTA Online for every penny. Then throw in ever increasing amounts of censorship within said games.
What incentive do globohomo companies to buy into such a system? And further more you still face the problem of who hosts the digital data thats linked to the blockchain?

Gaming has become only more closed and sealed off over the past 20 years. Modding akin to Counter Stike/Dota/Desert Combat is no longer a thing. Private servers, no longer a thing.
I dont even mind the cosmetics thing if there is an actual game there to play. But im not talking about cosmetics here, as in the point of mobile games (but this is also slowly infiltrating consoles and PC). They literally are designed to stop you in your tracks from progressing unless you gamble RL$$ on a better hero, or a better weapon and so on. Some even stop you from progressing using some currency you have to buy in order to play longer.

And this is literally like 90% of the mobile games market right now.
I dont even consider "mobile gaming" to be gaming. Its all loot box/gotcha simulators.

Last edited:
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Have you not seen how modern gaming especially big titles are now essentially Saas? Or how little control you have in general. Remember when SC2 launched and Blizzard said anything you make in the custom map maker is their property not yours? Look at Rockstar, make another GTA? Nah fuck that continue to milk GTA Online for every penny.
So when I asked for stats boring out your claims, you could've just said no, instead of coming up with a version of, "BACK IN MY DAY!!!".

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
There's some real bullshit DRM out there, but that's about the only thing I can think of that matches his description.
Rest assured, if DRM had been readily "available" back in 2000 or whenever these boomers think the "golden age" of PC gaming was, it would've 1000% been used.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Fuck you guys for making me agree with Mist, but she's actually right for the first time.

You can't be all about conservative small government then whine about wanting more regulation when it comes to your precious video games.

Make your kids less shitty, don't give them passwords, or grow some balls and take their shit away. Don't whine for the government to throw people in prison because you fail as a parent.

I hate these businesses, too, but I'm not going to go against my principles just because something affects me this time

Last edited:
  • 4Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 4 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
If people didn't buy that stuff and put up with it nobody would make it. The reason it gets used heavily is because it's profitable to do so. Imagine that. People have no self control for them or their kids, news at 11.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
So when I asked for stats boring out your claims, you could've just said no, instead of coming up with a version of, "BACK IN MY DAY!!!".
If you dont see how gaming is fundamentally different in 2022 v 2002 then you wherent gaming 20 years ago.

You can't be all about conservative small government then whine about wanting more regulation when it comes to your precious video games.
We arent libertarians.

Though ill say the current problems cant really be solved with regulation. So long as people are happy to be retarded whales nothing will change.

• 1Picard

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
If you dont see how gaming is fundamentally different in 2022 v 2002 then you wherent gaming 20 years ago.
You mean, as the world became more and more "tied" to the internet, more and more games were forced to have "online" components? And that it costs money for dealing with thousands or millions of players logging into your game? And that game companies would have the AUDACITY to want to recoup these extra costs, despite most PC games costing the same as they did in 2002?! How fucking weird!

Gaming seemed AMAZING in 2002, because most of us were 14-20ish. Just about any game would catch our attention. Especially considering the lack of titles available back then vs. now. PC gaming in general, let alone INTERNET gaming was still very much something only "nerds" did, it was a pretty small market, dude. I used to be 387 pounds, I can promise you I did more gaming and poopsocking then you did back then. While you were in the military fighting hajis, I was stuffing my fat, disgusting gullet with Mt. Dew.

Gaming is objectively better now. From graphics, to systems, to variety, availability, content delivery, etc. etc. You're just doing the typical, old boomer bullshit of, "EVERYTHING NEW SUCKS! Everything old was the greatest ever!!!". I remember when my Dad thought Warcraft 3 wasn't as cool as his "Atari" or "Zelda" too.

• 1Like

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
I dunno about objectively better. Especially on the crpg front… long intricate crpgs seem far longer in between these days, they are all filled with woke sjw crap and all these low effort flash animations instead of the nicer rendered 3d animations of old.

• 5Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So lets look at the main genres Im familiar with....

MMORPG? Name one that didnt shit the bed in the past 10-15 yrs. Even WoW sucks now and everyone is playing WOW classics...

Shooters? Same shit except they now ship unfinished, not all features implemented, buggy as shit and take months to fix. See new COD and BF

RPG? All bunch of bullshit filled with woke shit except the games coming from japan.

CRPG? Yeah there are a few but few and far between.

ARPG? We have like one or two if you count early release that are worth anything....

I mean what are all these great games youre playing right now? What good is it to have all this new and shiny, better graphics, more online, and more of it blah blah when over half of it is shit? Hell some of the better games in the past like 5-10 yrs were indie titles made in the basement with 1-10 people and some with shit graphics but great gameplay.

Last edited:

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
The real issue is that it would be very hard to write legislation that affects COD and Fortnite skins but doesn't also make running a digital TCG effectively illegal and doesn't stifle innovation with regards to any existing games or future games with digital objects that have real-world value.
I have no problems with making digital CCGs illegal (note that none of the CCG in existence are TCG - there is no trading whatsoever going on in those games, unlike real TCGs).

I also strongly object to digital objects with real-world value. You can scamper back into NFT world for all I care.

The mobile market would probably make 0 dollars if it wasn't for using shady skinner boxes. A whole industry would be basically gone overnight.
And nothing of value would be lost.

• 1Solidarity

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
To be clear I think whoever lets their kids rack up bills like that is just a shitty parent. It is really fucking easy to lock down and password their devices. My kid (and wife lol) can’t buy shit on the switch cause they don’t know the password. Same with computers and phones.

With that said I also hate all the gatcha bullshit addictive mechanics found in some games these days. Gambling and lootboxes are instant “no” in our house. I simply don’t allow them and don’t play them myself.

And NFTs…I understand how it could be used to do good/cool things but I have zero faith that the majority of NFT games in the future will be that way due to how the mobile market is. I’m sure there will be a few one off NFT games from small studios that are cool and consumer friendly but they’ll likely be outliers.

You guys are squishing multiple separate topics into one argument.

Last edited:
  • 5Like