General Gaming News and Discussion

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
After Starfield I've got to play the next EQ expansion. Then I need to finally beat the Space Exploration + Krastorio 2 mod of Factorio, then I need to check out Dwarf Fortress (which I hear is pretty easy, shouldn't take long at all). Then? We'll see...
One does not just win at Dwarf Fortress...

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

Never played it either but Google is saying it's rated 10/10 on Steam with almost 1 mil reviews...don't think I have ever seen a 10/10 game on Steam.
View attachment 491388
I'd place Terraria easily in top 5 games of all time list. very likely competing directly for #1.

1. It had constant periodic FREE content updates during its lifetime. like major updates. new bosses, difficulties. the game literally over quadrupled in size over its free updates.\
2. unmatched world proc gen. its frustrating how few other games have even come close to matching terrarias biomes/world gen.
3. town building. not perfect.. but it still is one of the best in terms of survival base builders. theres a reason to build a town. provide for your npcs.
4. massive player agency. building arenas to fight bosses. building farms. artificial biomes. etc.
5. multiplayer sandbox.
6. one of the best progression systems ever. metroidvania with destructable enviroments. and asymetrical progression. this also is frustrating how few games copy this system.
7. lots of mods. calamity in particular is a TC which 100% more items/bosses/progression.

con- its resolution and play controls are dated in 2023.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Terraria is great. Think 2d Minecraft with deeper crafting and a heavy focus on platforming combat.

• 1Like

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Never played it either but Google is saying it's rated 10/10 on Steam with almost 1 mil reviews...don't think I have ever seen a 10/10 game on Steam.
View attachment 491388

Terraria is fucking outstanding. I still have 2 copies I can gift. DM me your steam ID or reply to it here, and I'll send you one.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'd place Terraria easily in top 5 games of all time list. very likely competing directly for #1.

1. It had constant periodic FREE content updates during its lifetime. like major updates. new bosses, difficulties. the game literally over quadrupled in size over its free updates.\
2. unmatched world proc gen. its frustrating how few other games have even come close to matching terrarias biomes/world gen.
3. town building. not perfect.. but it still is one of the best in terms of survival base builders. theres a reason to build a town. provide for your npcs.
4. massive player agency. building arenas to fight bosses. building farms. artificial biomes. etc.
5. multiplayer sandbox.
6. one of the best progression systems ever. metroidvania with destructable enviroments. and asymetrical progression. this also is frustrating how few games copy this system.
7. lots of mods. calamity in particular is a TC which 100% more items/bosses/progression.

con- its resolution and play controls are dated in 2023.
How is it on Switch vs PC? My kids might want to play it on the Switch...

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Always good to see action rather than just pearl clutching.

This is just fucking virtue signaling; Unity is a company and are free to chose to up their price until their sales go to 0 and the company goes under. Why should anyone care if one for profit company "unequivocally condemn and reject" a move by another company? Does Samsung "condem and reject" iPhone being proprietary? By their own admission they don't even use Unity outside of some very small things which means this affects their company about 0. Fuck them, just make games and shut the fuck up.

• 1Edgelord
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Why should anyone care if one for profit company "unequivocally condemn and reject" a move by another company?
Because Re-Logic is living the dream that a key market demographic of Unity aspire to be: an small indie dev group (of 10 people) looking to explore a niche game and become wildly successful (they sold over 40 million copies of Terreria).

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
This is just fucking virtue signaling; Unity is a company and are free to chose to up their price until their sales go to 0 and the company goes under. Why should anyone care if one for profit company "unequivocally condemn and reject" a move by another company? Does Samsung "condem and reject" iPhone being proprietary? By their own admission they don't even use Unity outside of some very small things which means this affects their company about 0. Fuck them, just make games and shut the fuck up.

I'd agree with you if they released a strongly worded statement and called it a day. But they also put their money where their mouth is. That's not virtue signaling to me and what I was referring to.

• 3Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
How is it on Switch vs PC? My kids might want to play it on the Switch...
Switch is fine for kids, my son and his buddies played it on there. It took him a little while to get it to click for him as it starts fairly slow and there isn’t a ton of in game help. Once it clicked though, played the shit out of it and obsessed over the crafting for a long time. He first tried it at 7 years old and was getting stuck or frustrated because he didn’t know how to craft certain things and we were not always available to look things up for him. We had to take it away from him for 6 months or so because he was crying from frustration a lot. Once he got it back he got deep into it and had a great time.

PC is obviously going to be better for all the servers, mods, etc you can do…but just the vanilla game on switch is a hell of a lot of game.

Last edited:

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Terraria is fucking outstanding. I still have 2 copies I can gift. DM me your steam ID or reply to it here, and I'll send you one.
Great, thanks. I think I will stop trying to force myself into playing Starfield and give Terraria a shot instead.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Note for anyone else: I skipped right over the second part of this post because I thought the quoted part was just a repeat of the reddit thread in case it was deleted, and not that it was a separate reply in that thread.

Here is a SS of the reply Tuco quoted:
The important part:
I dont know the exact details of how it happened, but the microsoft sale was cancelled at the last minute after some original founders convinced the board not to sell, getting a more experienced industry CEO (John) to run the company. I believe this was a condition of the board not selling to MS.

It reminds me a lot of what happened to steve jobs and john scully
That's basically what happened, and like him, in 10 years, he almost sank the company.

I also like that, instead of focusing on the business, his primary goal was to inflate the perceived value of it for the IPO. All these big CEOs are like that: the business does not matter in the long term, it only has to last until they can cash out.

Unfortunately, for people like that, you fall upward. If he leaves the company, he'll be immediately snapped by some unsuspecting board to save "theirs", and will similarly slowly destroy it.

• 3Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Unfortunately, for people like that, you fall upward. If he leaves the company, he'll be immediately snapped by some unsuspecting board to save "theirs", and will similarly slowly destroy it.
Why is this true? In the case of Unity, surely the board of directors for a 20 year old company with over 7000 employees isn't ignorant, are they merely also interested in the perceived value of the IPO? Why is it so common for a company's board of directors to steer a company away from long-term health?

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Why is this true? In the case of Unity, surely the board of directors for a 20 year old company with over 7000 employees isn't ignorant, are they merely also interested in the perceived value of the IPO? Why is it so common for a company's board of directors to steer a company away from long-term health?
Because money now is better than money later for the board. They don't care about the product or the company or the employees. A lot of times they're just brought on to be part of the little club and were never actually part of the company or product.

The same thing happened to my giant healthcare IT company. After the founder died the board (none of whom lived near the world HQ, just completely separated from the company) did everything it could to make it look better for buyers. Eventually one of the biggest tech companies on the planet bought it and gutted it even more (without regard for actual merit or business purpose) and now they wonder why no one's around who knows what the fuck is going on. The CEO who was hired after the founder's death did hardly anything and walked away with at least 50 million after the sale. I'm sure the board got a ton as well as the stock price markup for the sale was something like 20-25%.

• 3Like
  • 1Truth!

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
That's how most companies are treated in a nutshell the last 10 years unless you're a massive corporation. An investment group buys you up, gets rid of as many people as possible, cuts corners, drives up company's value and sells to someone else who then realizes it was all smoke and mirrors and now they have a major issue on their hands. I've seen this happen a dozen times at least.

• 1Solidarity

kinadin

<Gold Donor>
There's also the fact that many people serve on boards that are unrelated to their area of expertise. If you want a good chuckle then go look at who was on the board of Theranos. The reason companies have people like this serve on their boards is to raise their prestige and give the impression that "respectable" people serve. The people themselves choose to serve on boards because it's basically free money for the amount of work they have to do and there is virtually no downside risk if you help run the company into the ground. The government probably should start being more aggressive towards boards but then that would mean the democrats and RINOs have to put their friends in prison.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity