General Gaming News and Discussion

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I just dont see where an MMORPG thats 100% PVP will ever be more than a niche.
I didn't say 100% PvP. I said basically a giant game of DOTA. There would be creeps to kill, forts to take defend or take down, but also people to fight.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
MMO PvP is definitely a niche as it's implemented right now. No doubt about that. Only way that changes is some no name developer coming along that upends the market ala a whole new genre bender almost like a MOBA, BR, roguelite type of fusion into MMO elements.

It'll just never be done with big western money. Japs only care about single player games. Maybe the Koreans or Chinese do it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I feel like looter shooters are the perfect realm for roguelites. Persistance progression and loop progression. That way you can do the whole loot thing but don't need to balance enemy HP so heavily on a linear dps progression system.

Which is why remnant is so good
Go play Witchfire if you want to experience something Destiny will ever be.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
MMO PvP is definitely a niche as it's implemented right now. No doubt about that. Only way that changes is some no name developer coming along that upends the market ala a whole new genre bender almost like a MOBA, BR, roguelite type of fusion into MMO elements.

It'll just never be done with big western money.
Sure it will, as long as they can still sell mounts and pets.

Fortnite is a PvP game. LoL, CoD BR, etc, all PvP games. This idea is just a very large BR/DOTA mashup with a much longer session length.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
It'll just never be done with big western money. Japs only care about single player games. Maybe the Koreans or Chinese do it.
Since the Chinese are going to ban all of the addictive stuff (dailies, etc), I expect great things to come out of that market in the future.

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Since the Chinese are going to ban all of the addictive stuff (dailies, etc), I expect great things to come out of that market in the future.
I actually think it's a net positive for us because companies bend over backwards for that market. It's not going to fix everything but slowly games might start being designed out of the box to be less manipulative with monetization.

• 1Like
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 users

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It will change nothing, as any law in Chinese has no effect outside of China. If its a Chinese based company, maybe. Other than that a company can have a CN version and a Global version that have different Shops / Rewards.

• 2Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I actually think it's a net positive for us because companies bend over backwards for that market. It's not going to fix everything but slowly games might start being designed out of the box to be less manipulative with monetization.
I think you've got your chicken/egg backwards here.

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
I think you've got your chicken/egg backwards here.
And I think you’ve got your egg/chicken backwards there!

Dance Win GIF by SWR3

• 1Like

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I didn't say 100% PvP. I said basically a giant game of DOTA. There would be creeps to kill, forts to take defend or take down, but also people to fight.

I’d even be interested in seeing a PUBG style MOBA.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Those kids look like 3 and 5. We got ours an asinine amount of superhero action figures so I could sit down and act out comics with them. We played all day. It was awesome. I wouldn’t buy my kids that. I got him a controller and a few Lego games for use on my ps5 with me. He fucking sucks at games but he’s picking it up.

Maybe I’m doing it wrong but our media consumption with the kids is very curated and done mostly with mom or dad present. Otherwise it’s traditional toys like action figures, legos, and some duplo still. Plus some other appropriate shit.

• 12Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 13 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Those kids look like 3 and 5. We got ours an asinine amount of superhero action figures so I could sit down and act out comics with them. We played all day. It was awesome. I wouldn’t buy my kids that. I got him a controller and a few Lego games for use on my ps5 with me. He fucking sucks at games but he’s picking it up.

Maybe I’m doing it wrong but our media consumption with the kids is very curated and done mostly with mom or dad present. Otherwise it’s traditional toys like action figures, legos, and some duplo still. Plus some other appropriate shit.
Buying a tablet for your toddler is 100% effective at causing autism.

• 7Like
  • 1Rustled
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 9 users

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I got the ps4 marvel Lego game collection. We do 1-2 missions a day on weekends. Just that alone hypes my 5 year old up until he can’t sit still. Now I was impressed how he picked up game mechanics just from watching me play Zelda games and Metroid. His ability to calmly play himself is non-existent.

Maybe our rampant stomping down media has done made him so sensitive to stimulation when it happens he twitches all over the place. I yell sit down and tell him to figure out how to calm himself down before we can do more.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I got the ps4 marvel Lego game collection. We do 1-2 missions a day on weekends. Just that alone hypes my 5 year old up until he can’t sit still. Now I was impressed how he picked up game mechanics just from watching me play Zelda games and Metroid. His ability to calmly play himself is non-existent.

Maybe our rampant stomping down media has done made him so sensitive to stimulation when it happens he twitches all over the place. I yell sit down and tell him to figure out how to calm himself down before we can do more.
Yea I don't know, it's hard to assess because growing up i had access to an Atari and NES, but really didn't play them that much because we only had a few games. I definitely learned my focus more on physical stuff, Legos, toy trains, erector sets, etc. It also got to use an 8086 when the 286 came out, then the 286 when the 386 came out. But really until maybe middle school games were very simple. Doom even doesn't have the same level of stimulus that stuff like Lego games have now with full 3d platformer stuff. I can see how it might be overwhelming.

• 2Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
Yeah makes me feel uncomfortable when I'm in a supermarket or resturant and people have screen in front of the kids.

A lot of these kids are already school age now and there's some bizarre behaviour.

Rocking backwards and forwards on their chair or insisting that they must sit sideways with their feet up like it's their sofa. This always existed but it used to be 1 kid, not half a group.

Making random noises, not even words. Then being surprised when told that they are doing it. Howling whenever anything happens no matter how tiny, like someone is at the door.

Starting and having full conversations with you when your back is facing them, you are speaking to the group or are having a conversation with someone else.

Standing in doorways, sometimes poking their head onto the corridor to see their friends. Then thinking your the asshole gor wanting them to get the fuck out of your way. This one is a covid thing.

Zero computer skills.

Now we group the kids according to maths ability, so this is all the kids in the lowest group. The kids in the highest groups are the ones brought up normally.

• 2WTF
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users