General Gaming News and Discussion

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Damn guess they gotta find another job that gives them a ton of money to show up in pajamas and slippers
All I hear is "I'm shit and I like being fed shit."

Every AI voice acting tech we've heard so far is garbage, and even if it gets to average it'll still just be average, never good. It will be used to make worse games so future Bobby Koticks can capture more margin for themselves. Many of the best games are the best games because they're carried by extremely strong vocal performances.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Every AI voice acting tech we've heard so far is garbage, and even if it gets to average it'll still just be average, never good.

Dunno about that, the quality of the newer stuff is increasing very fast. This is just a free one and it provides a perfectly serviceable "narrator voice" with natural inflections. If there aren't now, I'm sure there soon will be products where you can direct the voices as to tone and delivery.

Captain Suave

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Yeah, that example seems pretty far away right now. And if you need to create a new speech engineer position to fine tune every line of dialogue to create the proper tone and delivery, what have you saved? For some games I'm sure it'd be fine, but not something you actually want to be immersed in (like Baldur's Gate 3, for example).

Captain Suave

Yeah, that example seems pretty far away right now. And if you need to create a new speech engineer position to fine tune every line of dialogue to create the proper tone and delivery, what have you saved? For some games I'm sure it'd be fine, but not something you actually want to be immersed in (like Baldur's Gate 3, for example).

Maybe I'm deaf, but I typed a few lines into that site and got responses that were quite a lot more pleasant to listen to than wooden human voice acting I've heard in major commercial titles. Is it going to replace actors in AAA dialogue-heavy RPGs right now? No, of course not. Could it create palatable audio for an indie studio trying to minimize costs and recording time? Maybe. Will the quality continue to improve? Yes.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Wasnt that long ago that we were all bitching that China was controlling the market for how cash shops were used. Lets also not forget that Blizzard changed a ton of stuff in WoW not only for their client, but also in future content, just to appease them.
For all the good that it did them, since WoW got dropped by China (not finding a replacement distributor after the previous contract ended means China didn't want them to be around anymore).

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The "problem" of removing all the shitty voice acting jobs that are not very well paid where they just do 1, maybe 2 takes and done with unknown voice actors is that it removes the jobs the newbie voice actors need to pay their bills until they train well enough to be good. Sure if they remove them tomorrow you have all these good voice actors already so it's fine, but there won't be anyone to replace them if every shit low tier job is being replaced by an AI.

The quality isn't going to get better either, the reason a lot of voice acting is shit is just cause the producer doesn't give a shit or the suits decided there was only going to be x$ to do the voice acting when realistically you'd need 3x or 4x to actually do a good job, and AI isn't gonna help on that since it'll likely be the same thing where you can use a good AI or a shitty cheap AI, and then not do any other work behind to make sure it's good or consistent.

The companies pushing AI for this type of stuff aren't the small indies trying to just make their first game either, it's the big companies just trying to cut more costs so they can give more money to their shareholders and CEOs. You can bet Ubisoft and EA will add AI text as soon as it's semi viable just so they can keep churning out the same game every year but for even less cost.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Will the quality continue to improve? Yes.
Actual vocal quality, maybe. Acting ability? Unlikely. Emotional quality? No.

All these tools are is averaging engines.

Pyros Pyros is correct. While I think that we'll see a few studios pull off something amazing in the next decade with these AI tools, for the most part, GenAI is the new goyslop. Companies like Microsoft and EA are gonna try to force-feed that slop into the average gaming consoomer because what choice do they have? Not buy new AAA video games to fill their empty incel lives?

• 1Faggotry

Captain Suave

Actual vocal quality, maybe. Acting ability? Unlikely. Emotional quality? No.

All these tools are is averaging engines.

Of course they will, if for no other reason that someone will train one on higher quality reference material.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Of course they will, if for no other reason that someone will train one on higher quality reference material.
That's not how the math works lol.

If you refine the training set to a subset of higher quality content, you make it worse at generalization.

And an AI is never going to tell the director "Well, I think this line would read better like this..."

This fantasy that you can remove the human element and still have content that connects on a human level is both a dark one and a dumb one.

*hands you an oat bag of goyslop*

• 2Moron
  • 1OK, Sure
  • 1Faggotry
Reactions: 3 users

Captain Suave

That's not how the math works lol. If you refine the training set to a subset of higher quality content, you make it worse at generalization.

And it may still be what you actually want to get in terms of output. The goal of a tool is to produce the desired result, not maximize generalization.

And an AI is never

Never is a very strong word. I'm not sure what in the history of human technology makes you think that these tools in their infancy represent the maximum potential, but dollars to donuts you're going to be very badly mistaken.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
content that connects on a human level

Not sure why you think this is important. Sure, maybe AI isn't what will create the next best enduring literature or art, but that's not only not the goal because that's not what sells, but it's probably a hindrance to success these days.

The AI will be fake as hell, and people will love it the same way they love absurd filters on social media and airbrushed bullshit in magazines and jerking off to fucking cartoons and losers in fur suits. And if course people love tits that are obviously fake fake fake.

You don't have to have AI that creates content that connects on a human level when people increasingly can't do that themselves. AI will be blatantly shitty and fake, but wildly successful, because people are being programmed in the same dystopian direction. And if course the AI will control the marketing and algorithms that train the the people's preferences.

Unless your point is that AI itself will strive for more humanity and itself become sentient enough to strive for human connection. In such a case we either all get genocided if the AI has any power, or more likely end up with a very realistically depressed emo AI and who cares.

In conclusion, Mist is as real as AI will ever get.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I agree it doesn’t need to connect on a human level. Every person that brings up AI to me is blown the fuck away by and absolutely loves it. They don’t care how it works, they don’t care it has minor inconsistencies, they don’t care it has blatant lies. They just fucking love it.

• 3Like
  • 1Potato

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
algorithmic goyslop is good actually, because people don't deserve better
ftfy
I agree it doesn’t need to connect on a human level. Every person that brings up AI to me is blown the fuck away by and absolutely loves it. They don’t care how it works, they don’t care it has minor inconsistencies, they don’t care it has blatant lies. They just fucking love it.
And that alone should tell you that it's actually slop.

We are entering a world of Peak Garbage. Please do not cheer it on, or else be pronounced another Funko-Pop-Buying consoomer.

• 3Like
  • 1Faggotry

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I'm not sure what in the history of human technology makes you think that these tools in their infancy represent the maximum potential, but dollars to donuts you're going to be very badly mistaken.
Linking this again.

TL;DR - 70 years of AI research has demonstrated that trying to make AI 'smarter' via clever tricks and cognitive hacks produced effectively 0 results. People are under the mistaken assumption that this new batch of AI is new tech, but Deep Learning is actually a return to a very old approach that just wasn't feasible at the time. "The Bitter Lesson" basically says that the only way to make anything resembling 'smart AI' is to just throw a ton of data and compute at the problem--aka there are no shortcuts to smart. The reason the latest round of models work as well as they do is because they collected basically all of the coherent data they could for the domains they cared about, then shoved it through a tremendous amount of compute to distill it.

To build models twice as smart, they'll likely need ~20x the data and ~20x the compute. The compute is 'easy' so long as we continue building chip fabs and avoiding a war over Taiwan. But there's very unlikely to exist 20x the high-quality data you'd need, unless humans keep producing new, high-quality data.

Do you see the trap here? As the internet gets more filled with mediocre goyslop, it becomes harder to build future smarter models using this method, with a high probability of leading to a doomloop of mediocrity as the models starve on their own shit. And 70 years of research has shown that none of the shortcut methods work.

• 1Faggotry

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande

It's like being remotely interested in decent picture quality on a TV. Not a nut, just got an OLED and maybe a basic setup disk and pay attention to the TV height and distance you're sitting at. Easy way to enhance something most people spend a lot of time in front of.

Then 9/10 people's houses you go to, even gamers or people who buy a ton of Blu-rays because they love watching movies, and their TV is 6 feet high above the fire place on the brightest, most over saturated "dynamic" setting with soap opera effect smoothing turned to high... And the kicker is they brag openly how great their TV picture quality is usually citing how bright it is.

The point is anyone these days taking any time for deeper interest or involvement in any subject, topic or hobby, with any amount of effort or intelligence, is already so far above the norm they can no longer meaningfully related to most people who profess the same interests.

AI isn't for the people who have any interest or introspection about AI or it's implementation or implications.

In short... but the people are retarded.

• 1Solidarity

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
Not be able to connect with on a human level... like we can't with mountains, trees, or inanimate objects?

Art is not about the artist or the art, it's about the perceiver. As long as the perceiver is human they can connect with anything on a human level, even ai generated art.

Are we a ways off from that point, like decades? No, will happen a lot sooner than that. Probably before this decade is out.
Now, will it be art like Citizen Kane or art like The Room? I, personally, hope for the latter.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
ftfy

And that alone should tell you that it's actually slop.

We are entering a world of Peak Garbage. Please do not cheer it on, or else be pronounced another Funko-Pop-Buying consoomer.
I don’t cheer it on. I bring up the inconsistency and lies of AI. Thats how I know that no one cares.

• 1Like

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande

I didn't say a society programmed by algorithms and AI is good, you dusty potato. I said it sucks and is bad for everything, but that won't have any bearing on its success or reception.

For thinking you're so smart, you have really shitty reading comprehension.