General Gaming News and Discussion

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I remember a short halcyon time in the early 2010s where we all thought that getting your IP on as many platforms as possible was the way forward and that we were moving to a post-proprietary platform future. I never thought that giant companies in the business of making money would deny profit and addressable markets just to spite their competitors, but here we are.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Engines like UE5 can be capable of high performance, but the developers have to able to use the Engine efficiently.
Devs like Remedy deserve criticism for only being able to hit 1080p60 in 2023, but my understanding is that it's the engine itself that is built around everyone using FSR/DLSS. Which wouldn't be that awful if we were talking about Quality mode, but Performance mode looks like ass. And based on the Steam user surveys there's likely a lot of people out there forced to use Ultra Performance (which in Alan Wake 2 will work out to 360p).

Surprising absolutely no one.
Yeah, an AI could have written that article 3 years ago.

I remember a short halcyon time in the early 2010s where we all thought that getting your IP on as many platforms as possible was the way forward and that we were moving to a post-proprietary platform future. I never thought that giant companies in the business of making money would deny profit and addressable markets just to spite their competitors, but here we are.
Eh, seems silly to direct that at something MS is doing when their competitors are vastly worse when it comes to locking down exclusives. I mean, nobody even bothered writing an article about how Spider-Man 2 wouldn't be coming to Series X because it was just a given. Hell, Sony and Nintendo still pay off third party studios to make exclusives; I think it's been almost a decade since MS last pulled that shit. (Rise of the Tomb Raider in 2015? And even that was just a ~1 year deal, unlike, say, Sony's deals with Square for FF7R and 16.)

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Argarth

On the verandah
This recent discussion got me thinking, so just for kicks I installed Fortnite, thinking that surely, at least the engine designers can make this thing scale. =)

Yeah, it's a cartoony shooter, but it does have some impressive lighting, textures, and effects, even ignoring Nanite and Lumen. No point on a 1080Ti anyway, so no foul.

Settled with DX12, settings on Medium except Textures and Effects set to High, with Screen Space Reflections and Global Illumination both turned on, and AA set to TAA.
Native resolution (3840x1600) so nearly 3x1080p, and it was very stable at my monitors 75 fps cap, even out doors in a firefight. Made it to #14 in my first ever match lol.
Completely flat frame-time graph indoors, so even better. Pretty impressive really.

spronk

FPS noob

Please Clap Jeb Bush GIF by MOODMAN

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Even if you don't follow Counterstrike this is spicy news that the team themselves announced

zlwjqywiacwb1.png

• 1Faggotry
Reactions: 1 user

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I don't know what any of those words are, I must be old.

• 6Solidarity
  • 3Like
Reactions: 8 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Those of us that don't follow Counterstrike have no idea what any of that means.
Pro team player A stabbed in the back by players B and C who demand management choose between him or them, management capitulates to their demands and fire player A, then players B and C reveal they're quitting the team anyway. Team management has zero self-respect and publicly announces their intention to convince players B and C to come back to the team despite players B and C completely fucking them over.

I think.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

sliverstorm

Trakanon Raider
Those of us that don't follow Counterstrike have no idea what any of that means.
Heroic is a top CS team and CadiaN is their in-game leader, awper (two roles that each have an outsize influence on the game—five players on a team, usually only one awper and one IGL) and largely team identity. About a week ago, CadiaN announced he was leaving Heroic and moving to Team Liquid, which was shocking and seen as a huge coup for Liquid.

According to this statement, the reason for this was that two other Heroic players basically said “we won’t play with him, if he stays we leave but if you kick him we will immediately extend our contracts with you long term.” Heroic then let CadiaN go, gave the two players their contract extensions, and instead of signing the two players said lol sorry we actually already agreed to go to a competing team/org after our current contracts complete IN 10 MONTHS, we basically tricked you into firing your most important player and now we’re on your roster with no motivation.

This would leave Heroic with 2/5 of its starting lineup, effectively decimating the team.

So Heroic, the org, released this statement OUTING the two players’ actions, benching them, and THEN saying they were still planning to bring them back to the starting lineup near-term because what else are they going to do?

The last line is a shot at Astralis, the other org, who Heroic is implicitly accusing of orchestrating the entire thing both costing their star and getting around a traditional transfer fee (which is an important source of $ for orgs) by making a “future agreement” 10 months in advance of the contract expiry.

So Astralis look like scum, the two players look like scum, and Heroic—the org MAKING this wild public statement crapping on everyone—is revealed to be completely inept from a negotiation and contracting POV (literally fired their leader and star based on nothing but a “trust me bro”).

Everyone in the CS community is now waiting for responses from the two players, stavn and jabbi. Spicy stuff.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
This would be the amazing shit we'd get from US pro sports if they didn't have their money in the pockets of politicians for preferable legislation.

• 1Like

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
"Heroic amicably allowed cadiaN to pursue a new path."

lmao at this mealy mouthed corp-speak.

Well at least it sounds like cadiaN is the only one who looks good and has job security after all that. I don't follow CS at all so I don't know if he's a good player or not, same with the other 2.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
So GTA/Gmod RP servers are nothing but a blackhole of inbred retard whales and paypigs? Was this what the future of gaming was supposed to be? People who sound like actual morlocks charging $200 to be admins on a server?

• 1Worf

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I've only played a Wii once, but it seemed like a cool thing to get for my 5yo. I saw one at a pawn shop for $50.

Any reason not to get it for her?

elidib

Vyemm Raider
For 50 bucks its a good buy for a youngster. An even better buy if you can find someone or follow a few youtube tutorials to mod it and download every wii game ever made into it.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users