General Gaming News and Discussion

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I know some people with genius kids who went to college at 14 and 16. Larger schools have a dorm for 16 and under kids, with drivers for them, etc. 17 doesn’t seem too out there depending on when you graduated.
I was pointing out that Kharz said college kids, which is who I was responding too. I mentioned the age I was in college, as to me - 17 is a fucking kid still. Not saying I was some genius or something, as that seems about normal in my mind as I was only a year ahead. Not some doogy howser shit. I guess kids to some people is far more limited in definition than mine.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I was pointing out that Kharz said college kids, which is who I was responding too. I mentioned the age I was in college, as to me - 17 is a fucking kid still. Not saying I was some genius or something, as that seems about normal in my mind as I was only a year ahead. Not some doogy howser shit. I guess kids to some people is far more limited in definition than mine.

Think it's that he was saying made "by kids", not "for kids"

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I’m 38 years old and I’m still a giant child

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I know some people with genius kids who went to college at 14 and 16. Larger schools have a dorm for 16 and under kids, with drivers for them, etc. 17 doesn’t seem too out there depending on when you graduated.

My older sister got out of sync because she was born in one state and then went to school in another. She started college at 17 and was not a genius by any stretch.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
My older sister got out of sync because she was born in one state and then went to school in another. She started college at 17 and was not a genius by any stretch.
Was she hot though?

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Burns

Think it's that he was saying made "by kids", not "for kids"
Yar, reading about how all games are for kids was some out of the blue shit, not related to what was being talked about. Then saying he went to college at 17 was absolutely more confusing and made no sense, but I always find that scene with Pete, in O Brother funny, so gave me chance to use it.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
fun trump GIF

That gif and that news headline were the #1 thing people cited in 2016 exit polls as reasons why they didn't vote for Trump. The #1 reason given for not voting for the guy... was a bullshit news story. They went beyond this and said it was a reporter with parkinsons, turns out the reporter just had a bum leg or something and Trump was doing the same mannerisms he did when he was mocking everybody at the time (including himself).

Just a fun fact for your relatives who think the media is honest. Anyway, back to game stuff

(EDIT: I got a bunch of things wrong in this post, so disregard. Leaving it up to take responsibility for being as conclusion-jumping as the media I'm maligning.)

Last edited:

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Fun Fact: That gif and that news headline were the #1 thing people cited in 2016 exit polls as reasons why they didn't vote for Trump. The #1 reason given for not voting for the guy... was a bullshit news story. They went beyond this and said it was a reporter with parkinsons, turns out the reporter just had a bum leg or something and Trump was doing the same mannerisms he did when he was mocking everybody at the time (including himself).

Just a fun fact for your relatives who think the media is honest. Anyway, back to game stuff
The reporter has arthrogryposis. Who the reporter is and his condition isn't even being disputed by anyone and wasn't reported as Parkinson's by anything I remember. Whether you think his mocking was specific to his disability or generalized around the idea that the reporter was groveling, the dude didn't just have a bum leg. Just Google the guy and you can see he's got some fucked up shit with his hands. Maybe you should give your sources a second take if they're just suggesting he had a bum leg.

Last edited:

spronk

FPS noob
naughty dog dev feels that the makers of palworld (just passed 8 million copies sold in 6 days) is "cheating", doesn't really know how though

i guess any dev that doesn't remaster their games 3 times in 2 years (last of us) or not including a 30 minute intro video on diversity is cheating

• 4Worf
  • 3WTF
  • 1EyeRoll
Reactions: 9 users

Heian

Molten Core Raider
Most videogame models are easy to extract but usually you can't do much without the high resolution model. Without it you won't get textures, normal maps etc...

Pokemon on other hand are just smooth with colors. I don't even think that they use high resolution version to make thems. I could take any Pokemon meshes, play with the smoothing groups, add a turbosmooth (Smooth mesh and add poly), quickly bake some decent textures that could be usable ingame. Theirs shadders are pretty simple. This would take 30 minutes. A few more hours and I could change horns, furs and small details and get a palworld monster. Hardest part on this and this is where I do think Pokemon succeed is to make the proportions, shapes and design interesting. This is really hard to do TBH. The same could be done with BOTW/TOTK Zelda models and I do think that they could be easily reusable.

I have seen the Overwatch character meshes. They are amazing. I could take Reinhardt body, put Bastion or Zenyata face on him but it won't look great ingame because I would need the high resolution character to get good textures and shadders ingame. I could use it for inspiration or proportions but I would still need to build 95% my character over it. This would represent a decent amount of work and at that point I would make something original but heavily inspired.

Something that I feels that Paleworld does right is getting a decent game and game play loop before pushing graphics and the more expensive facet of game development... Not the other way around.

Last edited:

Kaines

Potato Supreme
The fact that Nintendo slapped a cease and desist on the mod creator that created the Pokémon mod for Palworld within 24 hours of its release but hasn't don't shit to the actual Palworld devs should tell you everything you need to know about what they think their chances are of getting this shutdown.

• 6Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 6 users

Heian

Molten Core Raider

Scaling it to fit does sound like they took ex: Pikachu and scaled him down 20% to put in the game and the twitter guy did a 20% scaling up to match him 1 to 1. I might be wrong.

It's easy to sue a mod that deliberately use your models. I do think that the palworld case would take more time from the lawyers.

Kaines

Potato Supreme
Scaling it to fit does sound like they took ex: Pikachu and scaled him down 20% to put in the game and the twitter guy did a 20% scaling up to match him 1 to 1. I might be wrong.

It's easy to sue a mod that deliberately use your models. I do think that the palworld case would take more time from the lawyers.
They are "investigating". Which is corporate speak for "We haven't found shit and are praying someone helps us out."

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Fun Fact: That gif and that news headline were the #1 thing people cited in 2016 exit polls as reasons why they didn't vote for Trump. The #1 reason given for not voting for the guy... was a bullshit news story. They went beyond this and said it was a reporter with parkinsons, turns out the reporter just had a bum leg or something and Trump was doing the same mannerisms he did when he was mocking everybody at the time (including himself).

Nah, the guy has a condition that gives him permanent retard arm.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
naughty dog dev feels that the makers of palworld (just passed 8 million copies sold in 6 days) is "cheating", doesn't really know how though

i guess any dev that doesn't remaster their games 3 times in 2 years (last of us) or not including a 30 minute intro video on diversity is cheating
More shit developers buttmad that they can't make a game half as successful, let alone 1/10th.

All the Palworld haters sound very reminiscent of all the haters BG3 got when it blew up.

end yes GIF

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 4 users

Daidraco

I didnt care if Palworld used AI in the first place, even if they said they didnt. I dont see how thats cheating, or anything similar. Use the tools that you have? But what I do believe in, is that this is going to light a fire up under Nintendo to put out a real banger of a Pokemon game in the next 3-4 years.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I didnt care if Palworld used AI in the first place, even if they said they didnt. I dont see how thats cheating, or anything similar. Use the tools that you have? But what I do believe in, is that this is going to light a fire up under Nintendo to put out a real banger of a Pokemon game in the next 3-4 years.

It's dev intuition, Bro. That shit's never wrong

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users