General Gaming News and Discussion

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
I grew up really close to Blizzard in Irvine, see employees for them all over. A couple years ago I meet a lady who worked at Blizzard as a full time recruiter. And she didnt recruit for any technical or art jobs at the company, just for random administrative roles. It blew my mind Blizzard had full time employees to do this. They have so many people useless people working at that company not even involved it making games.

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Nija

<Silver Donator>
qwik was pretty good in AC back in the day. Do we have many Darktide players here?

One of the biggest griefers in AC history went on to senior roles at MS and eventually led Blizzard.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Man. Blizzard was up there with Nintendo to me growing up and as a young adult. Now they feel like a soulless husk pushing the worst anti-consumer shit.

• 2Like
  • 2Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

spronk

FPS noob
22000 employees across xbox division
~1000 at bethesda
12000 at activision/blizzard
~5000 at blizzard (the other 10k are at COD, King [mobile], etc)

mergers almost always cut around 20% of staff since you cut marketing, sales, IT, procurement, HR, etc since you already have groups for that and usually G&A is ~20% of headcount. 20% of 12000 is 2400 employees so actually fewer cuts than anyone should have expected.

I think the bigger issue is that xbox is flailing pretty hard, with gamepass sub growth flattening after having spent so much money on big games, and hardware sales (consoles) abysmal. It looks like a hardware refresh this year will add some QoL (2TB drive, smaller form factor, bluetooth) but no power improvements which is gonna look bad when PS5 Pro and Switch 2 come out.

I could see xbox slowly wind down its gaming division in 5 years or less sadly, when it becomes clear to Microsoft that they will never be #1 in the space. As someone with like 6 years of gamepass codes that'll be a bummer, but not really a shock - they have literally not had a must-play game come out in 10 years.

• 3Like

kinadin

<Gold Donor>
I don't know why anyone would want to work for Microsoft. The money isn't worth the constant office politics.

• 1Truth!

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I don't know why anyone would want to work for Microsoft. The money isn't worth the constant office politics.
The good news is most of us can't because we aren't the right demographics.

• 3Like
  • 2Worf
  • 1EyeRoll
Reactions: 6 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
You could say this about any tech company larger than like 250 people.
The good news is most of us can't because we aren't the right demographics.
As someone who works for a major Microsoft partner, I promise there's plenty of woefully underqualified white guys at Microsoft.

40-60% of people working any big company are just chair-fillers, barely good at one job. That means there's a bunch of underqualified people representing any given demographic.

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
Yet I would bet you your balls that as a percentage, women and coloreds are FAR more useless, both in expectation and output, than any White man.

• 4Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Moron
Reactions: 5 users

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
1706203974081.png

• 3Worf
  • 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 5 users

kinadin

<Gold Donor>
You could say this about any tech company larger than like 250 people.

As someone who works for a major Microsoft partner, I promise there's plenty of woefully underqualified white guys at Microsoft.

40-60% of people working any big company are just chair-fillers, barely good at one job. That means there's a bunch of underqualified people representing any given demographic.
Best selling books about how bad Microsoft's office environment and performance review process aren't written for other tech companies. Entire graduate school lectures are set aside to discuss how bad Microsoft is. You should sit down because you don't know what you're talking about.

• 1Truth!

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
What?

CoD is the most profitable franchise in the world.

WoW still prints money, mostly due to mounts.

Also, King is part of that company, so all the Candy Crush games.

ABK is an absolute juggernaut, despite being retarded.

I think people are missing how many games and franchises are under the ABK umbrella.
They make their money off cosmetics, not releasing actual content. What do you need so many people to make variations of a retarded model or skin?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yet I would bet you your balls that as a percentage, women and coloreds are FAR more useless, both in expectation and output, than any White man.
Yeah, totally, because nobody has ever worked at a tech company or office job where 40% of the white dudes were pointless wastes of chairs.

Incompetence is truly colorblind.
Best selling books about how bad Microsoft's office environment and performance review process aren't written for other tech companies. Entire graduate school lectures are set aside to discuss how bad Microsoft is. You should sit down because you don't know what you're talking about.
Very similar books were written about GE, AT&T, and a bunch of banks. Some even became movies. There are definitely entire graduate school lectures about Jack Welch at GE. Writing books about big targets is good for sales.

But your point also brings up the fact that Microsoft had all these problems long before the big DEI push.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
No but the constant refrain today is about underqualified white men. I hear it from strong women where I work. Yet some of those same women are equally as underqualified.

• 1Like

Kaines

Potato Supreme
Very similar books were written about GE, AT&T, and a bunch of banks. Some even became movies. There are definitely entire graduate school lectures about Jack Welch at GE. Writing books about big targets is good for sales.

But your point also brings up the fact that Microsoft had all these problems long before the big DEI push.
And DEI has done what to address these problems?

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, totally, because nobody has ever worked at a tech company or office job where 40% of the white dudes were pointless wastes of chairs.

Incompetence is truly colorblind.

At times, I think you're just a dude pretending to be a chick. But then you write in how much of a waste of space you think white males are, specifically in this thread, and that makes me think you might just be a woman. The incel equivalent of a woman, but still... a woman. Probably white, too.

• 1Picard
  • 1Like
  • 1Worf

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team

This is any large company, it took me a long time to realize that smaller companies are where it's at. You may get paid 20% less but it's about 70% less bullshit you have to deal with.

• 1Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob

its a lot of money thanks to stock options. like millions in a few years if you get in at the right time and advance quickly, which it used to be easy to do (dunno anymore) and big tech companies pay way more than anyone realizes for specific jobs. like high end software architect/devs who don't need to manage people can easily pull $700-900k annual salaries plus millions in stock option bonuses

its VERY few positions like that, basically in the windows/AI/office/etc teams so not chad boner who wants to work on games or anything else not a cash cow but it applies to google, facebook, apple, microsoft, netflix, amazon, etc

easiest job in the world if you are an extrovert man is sales in software/consulting/business, for a woman its biotech sales, and for shy/introverts its high end software development. of course you need to have good coding skills and instincts for code elegance which rules out 90% of people.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
At times, I think you're just a dude pretending to be a chick. But then you write in how much of a waste of space you think white males are, specifically in this thread, and that makes me think you might just be a woman. The incel equivalent of a woman, but still... a woman. Probably white, too.
You are completely ignoring the fact that tons of white males of a certain variety constantly complain about what a waste of space white males are.

Mist is a white male.

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 4 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
And DEI has done what to address these problems?
Microsoft went from a dying behemoth to reclaim the throne of the industry, and the NASDAQ, after swapping out Balmer for Nadella. So, there's at least one diversity hire that worked.

Microsoft's huge growth came during the same period as their diversity push. One could say the same for much of the rest of the tech industry. Chicken/egg problem for sure, but the idea that these companies have been hobbling themselves with DEI doesn't match observable evidence since they all grew massively during that time.

• 1Midwit
  • 1Imbecile
  • 1Pathetic