General Gaming News and Discussion

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
It's got nothing to do with mediocre white men -

The UK is 81% white.

The UK has had mass immigration since the 1950s from its former colonies (India, Pakistan, Jamaica, Hong Kong etc)

The first generation immigrants opened takeaways, restaurants, newsagents (Indians, Chinese, Pakistanis etc). Jamaicans tended to do manual labour jobs.

Those first generation Indian/Chinese immigrants placed high emphasis on education, so the second generation became Doctors, Lawyers, Pharmacists etc. Jobs that don't require a network, just educaiton and hard work.

That is why the majority of the top C-level roles in the UK are held by white men. Because whites are 82% of the population and the third/fourth generation immigrant talent pool isn't there in high numbers to really be noticeable at the c-level. (Although arguably the early 40s Indian PM is an example of a second generation immigrant who has made it to the top)

The DEI religion says that if blacks are x % of the population then x % of CEO's should be black as well, or if gays are Y % then Y % of CEOs should be gay etc etc etc.

This just isn't a reliable target to aim at.

Factor in the women have different interests etc and you realise that the foundations of DIE are built on sand.
I just hate how the conversation is always framed around what a white majority nation should do in order to appease the minorities, when there isnt any minority majority nation on earth that does the same for white people. Colonialization dragged the fucking world kicking and screaming into the peace we enjoy today and the world hates us for it.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
But yes, it actually did change the makeup of the top 20%. HR filters are bad, and recruiters are the laziest fucking people in corporate America. I've literally met one corporate recruiter I would consider a smart person in the past 10 years. By forcing the recruiters to take their blinders off (or changing the color of their blinders, whatever) it did make them go looking at more people and therefore sometimes accidentally hire candidates they wouldn't normally have looked at.
So recruiters are worthless and suck, but DEI policies have them suddenly doing their jobs and "taking off the blinders"?

Interesting cognitive dissonance you have there..

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
So you can't point at any tech products actually built from the ground up by dei folks eh? not even the easy kind? It's literally impossible because they need the approval of "white" men?
What?

When was this question even asked?

This was about how tech startups (apps) are funded and how it's nothing like how video games are funded.

Anyway, I'll just leave this here:
A report published by Pitchbook revealed that of the over $40 billion of funds raised by venture capital firms, less than 3% of this is allocated to Black- and minority-owned startups. Even more alarming is that this percentage decreases if you fall into more than one minority group.

For example, a startup founded by an African-American male may have less than a 1% chance to receive financing from a venture capital firm. However, if the startup is established by an African-American woman, that figure drastically drops to just 0.2%!
But yeah, it's definitely the white guys being denied opportunities in this economy of ours. That's why your life sucks, that's why you're not rich. Keep on thinking that.

Dc Comics Joker GIF by Max

So recruiters are worthless and suck, but DEI policies have them suddenly doing their jobs and "taking off the blinders"?

Interesting cognitive dissonance you have there..
I literally addressed the irony in what you posted. Good reading. Must've smashed that SAT I bet.

• 3Imbecile
  • 1NPC
Reactions: 3 users

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What?

When was this question even asked?

If diversity is really about effectiveness, wouldn't the number of successful tech startups be representatively distributed?

But I guess complaining about VC racism is easier than showing that they are reasonably represented among tech successes.

This was about how tech startups (apps) are funded and how it's nothing like how video games are funded.
No, that was just your attacking an example instead of success where racist VCs weren't needed, you know, backing up your argument, which apparently is "DEI people can't make tech products because of racism". I guess they're not reasonably represented in bootstrapped companies either, or you'd have mentioned that instead of whining that the example doesn't count.

Anyway, I'll just leave this here:
Yup, definitely racism. "White" people don't like money enough to ever dream of making it on the backs of the "unprivileged". Definitely no other possible explanation...

Good chat though. I'm thoroughly convinced.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
"White" people don't like money enough to ever dream of making it on the backs of the "unprivileged".
I've watched my wife's career enough that I know it's completely naive to say there's no workplace discrimination anywhere, but I personally know a bunch of VCs from my MBA network and those guys are the most colorblind people I know because the only things they see are numbers and dollar signs.

Edit: Plus half of them are ethnic Indian or Chinese anyway.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yup, definitely racism. "White" people don't like money enough to ever dream of making it on the backs of the "unprivileged". Definitely no other possible explanation...

Good chat though. I'm thoroughly convinced.
VCs have to manage enormous amounts of risk to stay afloat, and investing in people who remind you of yourself is always seen as psychologically less risky. This is just how human biases work.

"People who remind you of yourself" can mean a lot of things, but it can definitely lead to racially biased outcomes.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Well at least now, I know what a person acts like when they drink the kool aid from one of those DEI classes big companies make you take every 3 months.

• 2Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Well at least now, I know what a person acts like when they drink the kool aid from one of those DEI classes big companies make you take every 3 months.
Not sure how you took any of what I said as an endorsement of DEI.

Not-scapegoating something is not the same as an endorsement.

But whatever, that's the world we live in. No one can have a nuanced take on anything anymore, and then people wonder how we all got so dumb.

• 2Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
At times, I think you're just a dude pretending to be a chick. But then you write in how much of a waste of space you think white males are, specifically in this thread, and that makes me think you might just be a woman. The incel equivalent of a woman, but still... a woman. Probably white, too.
Naw. He's still a man. It's just part of his shtick to get people to think he's a woman.

Also, I'd like to remind you all that Mist:
- Has no college degree
- Works at Wal Mart
- Still sleeps in the twin bed his mommy bought him 40 years ago and still sleeps in the room he grew up in

• 1Picard
  • 1Worf

Fucker

Log Wizard
VCs have to manage enormous amounts of risk to stay afloat, and investing in people who remind you of yourself is always seen as psychologically less risky. This is just how human biases work.

"People who remind you of yourself" can mean a lot of things, but it can definitely lead to racially biased outcomes.
This isn't how VC's work.

Goonsquad Officer
"racially biased outcomes" is about the most retarded concept imaginable.

people like other people who are from their culture. they factor it in. it's normal. it's what human civilization has done for 50 thousand years. "hay guys, people like to work with people they work well with".

why don't you hire literal retards? are you tardbiased? why do you hire people with eyeballs? you some kind of ballist?

• 2Worf
  • 2Like

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
How about we get back to some gaming news and you can take this current derail to gamergate?

• 5Like
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Pathetic
Reactions: 8 users

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
How about we get back to some gaming news and you can take this current derail to gamergate?
Back on topic, Lethal Company's performance is fucking amazing. Solo dev ends up with the 8th biggest game on Steam last year:
1706230564025.png

• 3Like
  • 1Worf

Cybsled

Well this puts shit in context

From the article

‘Odyssey’ was cancelled because of ‘development hell’ focused on the game’s engine – Synapse. This internally built engine at Blizzard was originally designed to be used for mobile game development, and while developers intended to use Unreal Engine to build Odyssey, senior stakeholders instructed them to pivot to Synapse to support their desires.

So devs wanted to use unreal engine and execs wanted mobile game bullshit and forced them to use a shit engine. What a fucking waste

• 3Worf
  • 2Rustled
  • 2Like
Reactions: 6 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Not sure how you took any of what I said as an endorsement of DEI.

Not-scapegoating something is not the same as an endorsement.

But whatever, that's the world we live in. No one can have a nuanced take on anything anymore, and then people wonder how we all got so dumb.

There's nothing nuanced about your racist and completely void of facts ramblings

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

kinadin

<Gold Donor>
Every fucking company has pushed DEI. They have to or they cannot get loans or credit thanks to the Blackrocks of the world. So naturally those that espouse the language have access to money and therefore grow. Blackrock’s adherence to ESG bullshit shows they’re more than willing to torch dollars to have control and funnel a larger percentage of the pie to themselves.

I’ve been in fortune 250 land my entire career. DEI does jack and shit. The women and minorities that thrive care far less about this bullshit.
Just one point of contention with your comments.

The idea of DEI/ESG doing jack shit is actually incorrect and we now have the peer reviewed data to back it up. What do I mean? Well, DEI/ESG creates environments that have the opposite of the intended purpose and goals of the social manipulation. Essentially, DEI/ESG have made people demonstrably more racist and exclusionary, straight across the board. The only group of people who seem unaffected by DEI/ESG are white liberals, who coincidentally are the one group of people who are more likely to be heavily medicated with mind altering drugs.

• 4Like

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider