General Gaming News and Discussion

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
The only group of people who seem unaffected by DEI/ESG are white liberals, who coincidentally are the one group of people who are more likely to be heavily medicated with mind altering drugs.

And were already the most racist and exclusionary people.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Heian

Molten Core Raider
They used Unreal for prototype. The issue is that Unreal could not handle 100 players and they had a mobile game engine that could but didn't had any modern tech.

You build assets and animation in Unreal then port it to another engine when it's ready. Also it gives you devent benchmark.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
They used Unreal for prototype. The issue is that Unreal could not handle 100 players and they had a mobile game engine that could but didn't had any modern tech.

You build assets and animation in Unreal then port it to another engine when it's ready. Also it gives you devent benchmark.
I can only imagine what it'd be like to go from UE to some kind of inhouse mobile gaming engine for a AAA game. Especially on dubious grounds like Unreal can't handle 100 players so let's just roll our own everything. Good riddance to the entire project.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I can only imagine what it'd be like to go from UE (presumably UE5) to some kind of inhouse mobile gaming engine for a AAA game. Especially on dubious grounds like Unreal can't handle 100 players so let's just roll our own everything. Good riddance to the entire project.
I dont know who H Heian is, he may be some insider for all we know. But AOC had 200+ people on the screen for UE3 alpha, what, a year+ ago? The current alpha in UE5 has had at least 100+ people on screen at once in the last Discord Leak that was against NDA. Without screen lag/tearing, or latency issues, mind you. So Im rather suspicious at the claim and why he would say that, as well.

Rude

Potato del Grande
Mist Mist I'm proud of you dude. I thought your stupidity would have a plateau in sight but these last few pages have proven me wrong. The DEI analysis was so compelling that it convinced me to reduce expectations disproportionately to the decline in quality in order to exceed goals.

Joe Biden Cheers GIF by C-SPAN

• 1Faggotry
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Heian

Molten Core Raider
I dont know who H Heian is, he may be some insider for all we know. But AOC had 200+ people on the screen for UE3 alpha, what, a year+ ago? The current alpha in UE5 has had at least 100+ people on screen at once in the last Discord Leak that was against NDA. Without screen lag/tearing, or latency issues, mind you. So Im rather suspicious at the claim and why he would say that, as well.

Quoting this article. Supposedly a Blizz employee.

One of Odyssey’s main roadblocks was the engine. The project was prototyped in Unreal Engine, but according to Bloomberg, Blizzard executives wanted the team to use a different one that would support the ambitious plan of having 100 players in the game’s world at once—and Unreal couldn’t handle that. So, in came Synapse, an internal engine the company had developed for mobile games.

• 1Like

Heian

Molten Core Raider
Unreal is great at rendering, lighting, shadding but it has many weakness. It's really good when you ask it stuff it can do or already have, but it get really complicated when you try to add very specific features or ask for something.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Unreal is great at rendering, lighting, shadding but it has many weakness. It's really good when you ask it stuff it can do or already have, but it get really complicated when you try to add very specific features or ask for something.
That person can blame it on Unreal, but this:
In spite of the headaches with prototyping, the team was targeting a 2026 release. However, due to the Synapse engine not being ready for production, Odyssey was canceled and the team largely gutted.
Sounds a lot like they didnt have a single fucking clue about what they were doing. My rebuke to you was that another company has proved that the engine CAN do it, even previous gen iterations of the Unreal engine can. So it is SQUARELY on this team being a giant fucking pile of shit.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Goonsquad Officer
That person can blame it on Unreal, but this:

Sounds a lot like they didnt have a single fucking clue about what they were doing. My rebuke to you was that another company has proved that the engine CAN do it, even previous gen iterations of the Unreal engine can. So it is SQUARELY on this team being a giant fucking pile of shit.
So diverse though!

• 2Like
  • 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
What's the best way to play Modern Warfare (the original trilogy, not the new ones) at this point?

-Modern Warfare 1 Remastered on PS4 is the best way to play that one AFAIK?
-Modern Warfare 3 hasn't had any kind of remaster so I'd need to play that on PS3? Or wait a while to see if they put one out?
-Modern Warfare 2 doesn't seem to have an "MW2 Remastered" but it does seem to have some sort of "Cross-Gen Version" on PS4. Is that actually a remaster or am I better off just getting the PS3 version for like $3? Did it get a pack-in remaster with some other CoD game like MW1R did with Infinite Warfare (IIRC)?

Been meaning to play that trilogy for ages for the single-player campaigns and the PS3 trilogy is coming up in conversation again enough in 2024 to go get them.

Do the Black Ops games have worthwhile single-player campaigns as well? Or at least 1-3? Never played those either. I just played Ghosts, AW, IW, WW2, Vanguard, Cold War. WW2 was pretty damn good. Couldn't get the new Modern Warfare to even work on my PS5 unfortunately.

Talos

Silver Baronet of the Realm
What's the best way to play Modern Warfare (the original trilogy, not the new ones) at this point?

-Modern Warfare 1 Remastered on PS4 is the best way to play that one AFAIK?
-Modern Warfare 3 hasn't had any kind of remaster so I'd need to play that on PS3? Or wait a while to see if they put one out?
-Modern Warfare 2 doesn't seem to have an "MW2 Remastered" but it does seem to have some sort of "Cross-Gen Version" on PS4. Is that actually a remaster or am I better off just getting the PS3 version for like $3? Did it get a pack-in remaster with some other CoD game like MW1R did with Infinite Warfare (IIRC)?

Been meaning to play that trilogy for ages for the single-player campaigns and the PS3 trilogy is coming up in conversation again enough in 2024 to go get them.

Do the Black Ops games have worthwhile single-player campaigns as well? Or at least 1-3? Never played those either. I just played Ghosts, AW, IW, WW2, Vanguard, Cold War. WW2 was pretty damn good. Couldn't get the new Modern Warfare to even work on my PS5 unfortunately.
I did the same thing. Just get the original PS3 versions and play them in the order they came out including WaW and Black Ops. Simple.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I did the same thing. Just get the original PS3 versions and play them in the order they came out including WaW and Black Ops. Simple.

Wouldn't it be better to play MW1 Remastered? Unless they messed something up / censored it?

I'm guessing WAW is a WW2 game, and if it's a similar level to the later CoD: WW2 game I'm down.

Release order is a good idea, unless the MW or BO trilogies each follow a narrative thread between them.

Cool how the PS3 versions of this game cost basically nothing due to their oversized install bases. Also the PS3 gen is in that grey area where they don't get the big price boost from being retro and they don't get the normal price boost from being modern. Probably gonna go to a retro game store and walk out with a pile of CoDs for like $20 one of these weeks.

• 1Like

Talos

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Wouldn't it be better to play MW1 Remastered? Unless they messed something up / censored it?

I'm guessing WAW is a WW2 game, and if it's a similar level to the later CoD: WW2 game I'm down.

Release order is a good idea, unless the MW or BO trilogies each follow a narrative thread between them.

Cool how the PS3 versions of this game cost basically nothing due to their oversized install bases. Also the PS3 gen is in that grey area where they don't get the big price boost from being retro and they don't get the normal price boost from being modern. Probably gonna go to a retro game store and walk out with a pile of CoDs for like $20 one of these weeks.
Last year when I went back to play through the series I just stuck with the ps3 originals because I already had most of them. If you don't already own it then yeah, I guess go with remastered.

WaW = World at War. Yeah it's a WW2 game and the beginning of the Black Ops story. You could play MW and WaW/BO separately if you don't want to jump back and forth between stories.

MW1 > MW2 > MW3

then

World at War > Black Ops 1 > Black Ops 2

I stopped at Black Ops 2 due to burnout. Haven't played any later games.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
The Deus Ex series kinda fell apart later on anyway. There was the weird mobile game, and then I found Mankind Divided to be very unenjoyable for some reason. Possible I just played it wrong though, who knows.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Good call, definitely no market for good cyberpunk rpgs right now.
Not for whatever they would have put out.

Mankind Divided was not deus ex and I stopped playing shortly after the intro level. They basically took the BLM retardation of the time and replaced BLM with augs.