General Gaming News and Discussion

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
LGs OLEDs have great hardware, but WebOS is just straight garbage. In fact, all TV software is garbage these days with Google TV being the least trashy, but still full on garbage. It is just a bunch of anti-consumer trash, all of them.

• 8Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 8 users

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
LGs OLEDs have great hardware, but WebOS is just straight garbage. In fact, all TV software is garbage these days with Google TV being the least trashy, but still full on garbage. It is just a bunch of anti-consumer trash, all of them.
Yup. Gotta buy a third party box which makes you wonder wtf is the point of a smart TV in the first place (for the consumer that is)

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

LiquidDeath

Yup. Gotta buy a third party box which makes you wonder wtf is the point of a smart TV in the first place (for the consumer that is)
If I could buy a dumb OLED TV I would be in heaven.

Scratch that, I want a dumb QDEL TV.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Even when I want to use smart features they suck and are missing random apps (in favor of a ton of useless obscure shit). Look online to find your brand of TV didn't make a deal with specific apps, so still end up using three different devices to access the 4 apps you actually care about. Until buying a third party streaming box.

And the apps themselves suck. TNT or TBS are so old and shitty live sports are unwatchable (which helps to not care).

We live in the most advanced world our general retardation and low standards as a species will allow. And a lot of assholes got very rich to provide the subpar shit forced down our throats.

Yes, game related as it's the worst as an industry and the only relevant news is that it all sucks.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Even when I want to use smart features they suck and are missing random apps (in favor of a ton of useless obscure shit). Look online to find your brand of TV didn't make a deal with specific apps, so still end up using three different devices to access the 4 apps you actually care about. Until buying a third party streaming box.

And the apps themselves suck. TNT or TBS are so old and shitty live sports are unwatchable (which helps to not care).

We live in the most advanced world our general retardation and low standards as a species will allow. And a lot of assholes got very rich to provide the subpar shit forced down our throats.

Yes, game related as it's the worst as an industry and the only relevant news is that it all sucks.

One of the top things I would do with Elon Musk wealth would be to create companies to manufacture good electronics and appliances. Appliances like back in the 80-90’s where they’d last for decades, no smart bullshit. Electronics, I’d make dumb-smart things. Basically as convenient as possible without the modern AIDS all smart devices are infected with. Also everything sourced/manufactured in the US.

Would do it at a loss if I absolutely had to, but I have a feeling it wouldn’t be necessary.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
One of the top things I would do with Elon Musk wealth would be to create companies to manufacture good electronics and appliances. Appliances like back in the 80-90’s where they’d last for decades, no smart bullshit. Electronics, I’d make dumb-smart things. Basically as convenient as possible without the modern AIDS all smart decides are infected with. Also everything sourced/manufactured in the US.

Would do it at a loss if I absolutely had to, but I have a feeling it wouldn’t be necessary.
I wouldnt be surprised if there is some small time businesses already doing just that. We just dont hear about them because how in the ever living fuck would they ever compete with Samsung, LG, Electrolux, etc.? But if I knew for a fact, like it had a 15 year? 20? year warranty on it that covered all non-cosmetic parts - I'd buy it for a premium.

I have an old rental house out in the country side where the lady that owned it passed away. You have to go out of the house and around the back to go into the basement. There is a refrigerator in there that I'm "guessing" by this picture, is from the 1960's. That thing has been plugged up and running for God knows how long, now. It had nothing but Breyers Ice Cream, and some kind of fat for cooking in there, when we were cleaning out the place. Tons and tons of pressure cooked green beans and shit on the shelves surrounding it.

I left it down there, cause I cant for the life of me figure out how the fuck they even got the thing down there. The stairs down to the basement on the outside are so narrow, that you feel like you're walking down the aisle in an airplane.
846-02793139en_Masterfile.jpg

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
One of the top things I would do with Elon Musk wealth would be to create companies to manufacture good electronics and appliances. Appliances like back in the 80-90’s where they’d last for decades, no smart bullshit. Electronics, I’d make dumb-smart things. Basically as convenient as possible without the modern AIDS all smart decides are infected with. Also everything sourced/manufactured in the US.

I'm sure you could make it profitable, but if it was successful enough they'd just make their own version of "premium appliances" or whatever, undercut you, sign exlusive contracts with your suppliers, eventually run you out of business, buy you out, then progressively make the same thing as before, selling shittier things for more and more money until it hits the same fucking garbage we have currently.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 2 users

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I'm sure you could make it profitable, but if it was successful enough they'd just make their own version of "premium appliances" or whatever, undercut you, sign exlusive contracts with your suppliers, eventually run you out of business, buy you out, then progressively make the same thing as before, selling shittier things for more and more money until it hits the same fucking garbage we have currently.

Yes genius this is why I say I’d do it at a loss if necessary. As in, I would do things to prevent this. Thanks for explaining the current corrupt business world though.

• 1Worf

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Don’t connect it to wifi.

What am I missing here?

Interesting theory. Could you expand on it?

Also, was just thinking the other day that people shouldn't care about micro transactions and cash shops in games. Just don't pay for stuff if you don't want those things! An no complaining, because a game designed without mtx is literally no different than a game where you just don't pay for the mtx.

• 1Worf

LiquidDeath

Don’t connect it to wifi.

What am I missing here?
Because you still have to deal with all the terrible smart OS features on the set. Roku TVs don't stop having the shitty Roku OS when you don't connect it to WiFi. Same with LG and their WebOS aids.

I'm talking about a TV that only has settings menus and input switching. That's it.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Because you still have to deal with all the terrible smart OS features on the set. Roku TVs don't stop having the shitty Roku OS when you don't connect it to WiFi. Same with LG and their WebOS aids.

I'm talking about a TV that only has settings menus and input switching. That's it.
Not sure if they all do this but one of my TVs is still a Roku and I have it set to switch to HDMI3 (the eARC one) as soon as it's turned on. I never see the Roku UI unless I press the Home button on the remote, it just goes straight to whatever device powered up the receiver with CEC.

I don't really find the UI *that* obnoxious either. A Roku TV with all the channels deleted just shows the inputs and the useless categories section (which never used to be there, but sadly you can't get rid of it now), and I guess there's a single giant ad on the right side if you don't have a pi-hole blocking all their telemetry IPs. It's not even remotely in the same league as a Fire TV or an Android TV with the default launcher. That shit is insane with the amount of ads and paid promos they shove in your face at all times.

What I do hate is that if I wanted to pull the ethernet cable out for some reason, the power light goes on an endless blink-blink... blink-blink... blink-blink cycle.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

Ah ok. I think proprietary shit TV OS’s are here to stay sadly.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Ah ok. I think proprietary shit TV OS’s are here to stay sadly.
Yeah, the only two ways around it are commercial grade TVs and outdoor TVs, neither of which are ideal for putting in your living room.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande

Yeah, you just end up with a broken smart interface that is still aids.

I want the modern upscaling and processing, too. Which means modern TV's still need software and processors to work. Sure, people can get updates on a thumb drive, but again it's the consumer having to go out of their way to avoid the "features" of the product they bought.

And the smart features and UI are one more thing to glitch and break. And even just switching inputs is coded in as part of the UI software in many cases.

And even if one doesn't use the smart features, a lot of resources went into developing them, meaning the consumer is paying for them, and subsequently paying for the privilege of being advertised to and their data collected and then sold for profit by their TV.

And these days even turning off connectivity doesn't guarantee many devices aren't still collecting and connecting. I think there was a TV found to be using the mic to spy and Internet to report daya even if every related option was turned off.

The entire smart industry is a symptom of the cancer that has become modern tech, so just ignoring it doesn't do much but allow it to grow and faster.

Siliconemelons

Recommendations on a good OLED or similar picture quality that doesn't have smart or spy features?

LG OLEDs are the best and WebOS is the best of the tv interfaces even with its negatives as all tv os’s stink - you can go back a generation or two I forgot if you want where the TV won’t get upgraded to whatever the ad infested version was.. I think they reversed it on the latest revision however bc of the feedback

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
It's wild and depressing watching companies pivot from making a good product that the customer wants to how can we make the most money off this even if it fucks over the customer.

This is fucking with our generation the most because we saw how nice things were and what could have been.

Last edited:
  • 6Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
LG OLEDs are the best and WebOS is the best of the tv interfaces even with its negatives as all tv os’s stink - you can go back a generation or two I forgot if you want where the TV won’t get upgraded to whatever the ad infested version was.. I think they reversed it on the latest revision however bc of the feedback

You've missed the point or three, sir.

Going back a generation or two to fix things... Just need a time machine....

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
You've missed the point or three, sir.

Going back a generation or two to fix things... Just need a time machine....
There was a period 15ish years ago when every tv had a smart option or dumb option. It was $50-100 cheaper to go with the dumb option. I was the only person I knew of who went with a dumb option, then added an Apple TV or whatever for streaming. Everyone just went with smart option because it was easier. If I was a TV company and my sales of smart versus dumb was very lopsided to the smart side, it’s a no brainer to cut costs and stop making two versions of everything. Half the production line, half the packaging, etc.

Dumb options aren’t coming back, you can vote with your wallet all you want, the masses and companies have decided smart is the only option. Just buy the model you want and go cry in a corner every time you turn it on. I have a ‘smart’ LG model that I turn on and it just goes to the last input that was on. I don’t ever see ads or any of the other smart shit.

• 1WTF