General Gaming News and Discussion

Burns

But what happens to all the games they own?
They are probably about as accessible as all my games on 5.25/3.5 floppys and CDs, being that my computer has not had a drive for any of them in 10+ years. Actually, a VPN is cheaper and faster than buying and hooking up a drive.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
As explained to me by someone who's successful studio was bought and closed by Microsoft:
The Microsoft managers have a certain promotion cadence, and if you're not launching your next product within that window, the cost of your studio is basically just an anchor around their neck, no matter how much money you'll make in the long run. The initial acquisition team likely needs you to make your money back for their reputation of course, but the more promotion cycles that have passed since your acquisition, the easier it is for someone to decide that their career is going to go better if they get you off of their balance sheet.
So apparently some Microsoft Exec was quoted today as saying they need more games like HiFi Rush on Game Pass, lol.

The video game industry fucking sucks lol.

• 8Worf
Reactions: 7 users

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
But what happens to all the games they own?

Kevin Spacey 90S GIF

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I've twice seen external teams have games cancelled and the publisher didn't even bother telling them. The teams kept working on the games (and paying everyone) because they didn't know any better.

It was only after a month or two and a few "where's our goddamn money?" emails that we found out.

And yea one of the publishers was Microsoft.

• 3Rustled
Reactions: 2 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
So, speaking of the games industry being turned upside down, apparently the first game that Dunkey's publishing company Bigmode released is actually incredible?

This is the shit that needs to happen.

I'll wait a few days to see how the reviews shake out, but I'm already impressed.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
So, speaking of the games industry being turned upside down, apparently the first game that Dunkey's publishing company Bigmode released is actually incredible?

This is the shit that needs to happen.

I'll wait a few days to see how the reviews shake out, but I'm already impressed.
I love the look of that. Sort of a moody 16 bit.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Looks like another generic metroidvania game with shit visuals that get excused because it’s indie

• 5Like
  • 1Rustled
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 6 users

spronk

FPS noob
i posted in ps5 thread but its on PS+ Extra if you have that tier. i downloaded it, its only 100 megs and uninstalled after 15 mins. looked like some shit i played on my apple II in the 1980s. no real combat or bosses either, everything is basically platform puzzling (even "boss" fights). i'm sure it clicks for some people but i found it gay as fuck

• 3Like

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
I played it for like 20 minutes and it was alright, but then I got stuck in a spot I couldn't get out because a switch got flipped. There was no "reload to last checkpoint" option so would've lost like 8 minutes of game, so just gave up altogether. I might try again some other time.

spronk

FPS noob

i 100%'d it on ps5 and its ok, nowhere near as good as the 2018 god of war and long stretches suck ass. like 2 fucking hours following a stupid bitch and her cow

• 3Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>

i 100%'d it on ps5 and its ok, nowhere near as good as the 2018 god of war and long stretches suck ass. like 2 fucking hours following a stupid bitch and her cow

I loved the first and did a 100% with zero regrets. Amazing game.

Beat the second and dropped it, I think it’s 26% complete or so. They fucked up the formula somehow.

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider
I got to the the ironwood part and I just couldn't do it anymore. It drug on for wayyyyy too long and the previous sections were not a whole lot better. It's felt like it wasn't even made by the same developer.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Bloodstained release 2 new modes. Chaos mode which I guess is a hoard mode and a pvp mode. Anyone tried it?

• 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 user

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
We need more updatable product placements. Works great for the sports games. Jack from State Farm is a great addition to NBA2K. Patch notes could indicate any change in the official vehicle or soda sponsors, for instance, with lots of product placements. You could of course buy different skins in the cash shop if you wanted, but don't forget Star Wars: This Again is brought to you by Pfizer!

• 3Worf