Generation Kill

Fadaar

That guy
This show should be required viewing for anyone who wants to join the military, especially infantry jobs

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Maybe controversial opinion, but I actually like this better than Band of Brothers. BoB is amazing, obviously, and probably objectively better, just preference.. But it's dated and suffers from more than a little hero worship. Not that it isn't deserved, especially for guys like Winters. but idk.

My favorite scene of the two comes from BoB, the scene where MAJ Winters has to assault that town and he puts numbnuts in charge of assaulting some position and he fucks it up, and then Winters almost goes in but his COL starts lecturing him and he just ignores him and sends in Spiers, fucking AMAZING scene.

edit:

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sterling

El Presidente
Maybe controversial opinion, but I actually like this better than Band of Brothers. BoB is amazing, obviously, and probably objectively better, just preference.. But it's dated and suffers from more than a little hero worship. Not that it isn't deserved, especially for guys like Winters. but idk.

My favorite scene of the two comes from BoB, the scene where MAJ Winters has to assault that town and he puts numbnuts in charge of assaulting some position and he fucks it up, and then Winters almost goes in but his COL starts lecturing him and he just ignores him and sends in Spiers, fucking AMAZING scene.

edit:
There's a few really good Spiers scenes.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Maybe controversial opinion, but I actually like this better than Band of Brothers.

I agree, I think BoB and WWII media in general gets to coast on the black and white nature of that war. The Axis was pure evil and needed to be stopped at all costs, total war.

The difficult nature of Iraq 2 and the idea of invading followed by nation building is so much more nuanced. The soldiers who were trained as bad asses to win total war and are now struggling to deal with collateral damage and an enemy with no uniform I find much more interesting. It's also much more applicable to our position in the world from Vietnam onwords, both good and bad.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sterling

El Presidente
I think BoB is better, but I certainly relate to this more due to the timeframe and my experience in the service.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
My favorite scenes.

And how Sixta at the end showed he pissed the guys off so they didn't have time to get pissed off at everything else.

Also, how the psycho Trembley was was the fucking terminator.

"At least he's our psycho..." lol.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I'd never seen this, thanks for making the thread - what a fantastic mini-series. My favorite moment was in the last episode (great episode) where they get turned away by the rank and file jarheads in that office building and scale the walls to get in. The only time they got to use their RECON skills was at the very end of the "war" fucking around. Pretty damning reflection of our military in some ways, but the writer of that article has been extremely complimentary towards the rank and file guys since the story broke. Not so much the leadership.