Genetic Testing & Family Tree Search Engines

Chris

Potato del Grande
Just got my results back from Ancestry.com, as well as finding out I'm 99% British (the 1% is Norway), I was really impressed by the family tree tools.

I put in the reletives I knew and the app automatically suggested the birth/marriage/census/death records to confirm the family lore as well as linking to unknown family members further back with the census data.

Got a bit of work to do to confirm everything as the website only has the index summary and you need to specifically go find the actual detailed record.

One promising area is that you can see cousins who have also done the genetic testing, so I was able to cross reference a 3rd cousin to confirm who a great x3 grandmother was - as obviously the tree must be correct if you are related to them.

I was very surprised by what a small geographical area my entire family is from and my 73% English was specifically narrowed down to "South Lancashire" which is the area around my hometown. It seemed less certain about my 26% Celtic heritage, only breaking it down to Wales/Scotland/Ireland.

Anyway else done anything like this?

• 1Moron
Reactions: 1 user

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Just got my results back from Ancestry.com, as well as finding out I'm 99% British (the 1% is Norway), I was really impressed by the family tree tools.

I put in the reletives I knew and the app automatically suggested the birth/marriage/census/death records to confirm the family lore as well as linking to unknown family members further back with the census data.

Got a bit of work to do to confirm everything as the website only has the index summary and you need to specifically go find the actual detailed record.

One promising area is that you can see cousins who have also done the genetic testing, so I was able to cross reference a 3rd cousin to confirm who a great x3 grandmother was - as obviously the tree must be correct if you are related to them.

I was very surprised by what a small geographical area my entire family is from and my 73% English was specifically narrowed down to "South Lancashire" which is the area around my hometown. It seemed less certain about my 26% Celtic heritage, only breaking it down to Wales/Scotland/Ireland.

Anyway else done anything like this?

Lmao, like I'm gonna give Globohomo my entire family history

Surprised they didn't tell you that your ancestors were slave owners

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
YEah putting out your genes to open market does not sound like a good idea to me. But conrats you learned youre a fucking brit! Not some mongrel.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
YEah putting out your genes to open market does not sound like a good idea to me. But conrats you learned youre a fucking brit! Not some mongrel.

What are the odds the minimum wage worker that processed it did everything right?

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
My wife did this recently and ended up reconnecting with a great aunt who had been lost to the family when they all fled China in the aftermath of the Cultural Revolution. Nice outcome, but I'm still not going to put my DNA out there. Plus my grandmother was a genealogist so I've got a pretty good picture where everyone was back into the early 1700's.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
My wife did this recently and ended up reconnecting with a great aunt who had been lost to the family when they all fled China in the aftermath of the Cultural Revolution. Nice outcome, but I'm still not going to put my DNA out there. Plus my grandmother was a genealogist so I've got a pretty good picture where everyone was back into the early 1700's.
I'm fairly certain it wasn't through any DNA analysis, but my dad's older brother tracked him down last year after 40+ years of estrangement. Pretty stoked for him since the only other remaining family is another brother who is unfortunately a shit-bag and a contributed a large part toward the aforementioned separation. And as far as genealogy, my parents went down that rabbit hole for a while and got back to somewhere before 1670 when my moms family came to the US from England and mid 1800's when my dad's family left western EU. I helped go through old records on a number of occasions, I can see how people get wrapped up in it.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
you might as well upload your dna to gedmatch then.

gedmatch is free and will take take results from 23andme/ancestry/livingdna

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I would only take a DNA test for medical purposes, but they are much more expensive I think.

I'm generally indifferent to the family tree stuff as they promote learning about history but also seem kinda gimmicky: "You are 99.99% peasant but look at the single person of royal blood that lived 500 years ago that you are related too!" Which leads to "We was Kangz yall" and people, when they look at history, day dreaming that they would be part of the very small ruling class instead of just another dirty poor slob starving through the winter.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
What they gonna do?

Engineer a plague to target exactly me?

• 1Moron
Reactions: 1 user

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Wait, what?

You seriously can't think of any disadvantages to putting your DNA (and the DNA of all your relatives by association) in a government database forever? The limit of your imagination on this subject is a plague engineered to kill one teacher?

I think you lack imagination. And also havent paid any attention to whats going on in Canada, China, or eastern Europe.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Wait, what?

You seriously can't think of any disadvantages to putting your DNA (and the DNA of all your relatives by association) in a government database forever? The limit of your imagination on this subject is a plague engineered to kill one teacher?

I think you lack imagination. And also havent paid any attention to whats going on in Canada, China, or eastern Europe.
If you do nothing wrong, what's to worry about? When has the government ever lied?

• 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Double Worf

Chris

Potato del Grande
Wait, what?

I'm not planning any rapes or murders and if the Government turns fascist, I'm going to join in.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
If corporations are sharing data in that much detail, we got bigger problems.

My wife works in health care AI, we're about 10 minutes away from this being a reality. The actual impediments are a) scale and b) the uncertain legality of discrimination based on genetics. Everyone's already got your medical records (allegedly anonymized at the endpoint but definitely not internally), phone records, credit card history, voter registration, employment history, etc, etc. The amount of data out there is fucking staggering.

• 2Like
  • 2Truth!

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My wife works in health care AI, we're about 10 minutes away from this being a reality. The actual impediments are a) scale and b) the uncertain legality of discrimination based on genetics. Everyone's already got your medical records (allegedly anonymized at the endpoint but definitely not internally), phone records, credit card history, voter registration, employment history, etc, etc. The amount of data out there is fucking staggering.
How much longer until genetic screens are done on everyone as a routine part of doctoring? (and probably at birth after not too much longer) That might have sounded a little far fetched a couple of years ago, but now it seems like a practical certainty in our near future.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Wait till he learns the mormon church has one of the largest collections of genetic data on the planet. They also are large investors in the companies that test DNA for locating "family" and such. Pretty sure I've seen reports over the years where this info was leaked/lost/hacked etc...in various amounts from one of the testers.

They're not making billions back charging $20-$50 each to run test.

The Blackstone Group is the majority owner of Ancestry. Blackstone purchased a majority stake for $4.7 billion in August 2020.

Blackstone is an equity investment company founded in 1985 in New York that manages assets valued at over $530 billion.

In 2001, Mormon billionaire James Sorenson started one of the earliest genetic test kit companies, Relative Genetics, in part due to his religious interests. It was later bought by Ancestry.com, another Mormon company.

Last edited:

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
How much longer until genetic screens are done on everyone as a routine part of doctoring? (and probably at birth after not too much longer) That might have sounded a little far fetched a couple of years ago, but now it seems like a practical certainty in our near future.
Just don't go to doctors.