Ghost in the Shell (2017)

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I share worries about dumbing-down. The previous material is almost visionary. Recent events even remind me of the second gig's groupthink stuff.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

They didn't directly show it, but the spider mech scene seems to be in the film. There is a quick shot of her hiding being a concrete pillar that is being chewed to hell by gunfire.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
As a non manga person who knows nothing about ghost in the shell, I think this looks pretty cool as far as dystopian sci fi goes. (which is my assumption of what it is based on the preview and no background).

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I share worries about dumbing-down. The previous material is almost visionary. Recent events even remind me of the second gig's groupthink stuff.

I rarely do not get what is going on, more often then not I guess what is going to happen but GitS II had me going "Wait WTF is going on?" more then once.

Last edited:

Cybsled

As a non manga person who knows nothing about ghost in the shell, I think this looks pretty cool as far as dystopian sci fi goes. (which is my assumption of what it is based on the preview and no background).

I only watched the original film back in the 90s, but it definitely draws a lot from Blade Runner. The big thing about the universe this takes place in is that augmentation of humans (be it body or brain) is fairly widespread and as varying degrees of sophistication. It tried to ask questions along the lines of when you have a merger of human and machine in the more literal sense, what does it mean to be human...and does that even matter?

Siliconemelons

gatta watch to orig again... and didn't she only go nudeo 2 do her invs thing? kinda stupid they are censoring that and making her look androgynous and or "its just a very tight skin colored suit" when one of the points of this movie was the blending of the line of where androids and human was - android sex bots etc. bla bla etc...time to downloaaaddd

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I rarely do not get what is going on, more often then not I guess what is going to happen but GitS II had me going "Wait WTF is going on?" more then once.

I mean the second gig tv series (season 2 of stand alone complex). But yea, just following the conversations is difficult. Somehow they really made it seem like everyone in the show has an IQ off the charts. I had to pause and back up a few times.

Cybsled

That anime clip trailer actually highlights how close the live action film is coming in terms of matching scenes from the original animated film.

• 1Like

Szlia

I don't think the future on display is a dystopia. Not an utopia either. Just a future with its futuristic questions and problems.

Mao

Trakanon Raider
I too don't think it was a dystopia future. just the same issues as today projected forward and spun to account for new technology.

What worries me though is in the original cyber modification was common place. to be 100% natural was more an oddity. Most people had some for of basic add on that allowed Web connectivity or the like. If you follow the TV series those mods were actually used in childhood education as well. Like computers I today's classroom .

So when they start having the people saying the Major is the first of her kind, the one woman asking "what are you?" it makes me concerned that they are going to somehow make her exceptional not for her thoughts or skills but for some inherent tech with a little conspiracy thrown in. The original film to me was more an exploration of what it means to be human.

To take the Blade Runner equivalent it would be like making Declared a confirmed replicate with super soldier abilities and some government conspiracy program that made him. It would totally ruin the theme of the movie.

Not saying they are doing that and them mirroring scenes from the original is promising. But the extra scenes they show in the trailer cause me concern for what direction they are heading.

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
It's been 10 years so I am not spoilering this shit.

In GITS 2nd Gig there was an entire episode that was dedicated to explaining Motoko's nearly unmatched expertise in use of a prosthetic body. She was a child when she survived a plane crash. She certainly wasn't the first but it was mentioned the procedure of transferring her entire ghost or consciousness was experimental at that point and most definitely never done to a child that small. So she had to learn to use a full prosthetic body from age 8 or so is my guess and had to transfer to older looking and more sophisticated bodies as she matured in age.

So while it doesn't make her the first it definitely makes her one of the best at handling one of these shells. Some fans call that episode bullshit cause it gave an actual back story to Motoko which seems to make some people butthurt cause they rather enjoy the unknown aspects of her life via the films

By the way that episode still gets me in the feels. Especially the reveal about the little boy that was in the bed next to her at the hospital. Shed manly tears when I saw it the first time. Also the Tachikoma episode where it and the little girl go looking for a lost pet makes me tear up like a bitch. GITS - still a Hall of Fame series after a decade.

Mao

Trakanon Raider
It's been 10 years so I am not spoilering this shit.

In GITS 2nd Gig there was an entire episode that was dedicated to explaining Motoko's nearly unmatched expertise in use of a prosthetic body. She was a child when she survived a plane crash. She certainly wasn't the first but it was mentioned the procedure of transferring her entire ghost or consciousness was experimental at that point and most definitely never done to a child that small. So she had to learn to use a full prosthetic body from age 8 or so is my guess and had to transfer to older looking and more sophisticated bodies as she matured in age.

So while it doesn't make her the first it definitely makes her one of the best at handling one of these shells. Some fans call that episode bullshit cause it gave an actual back story to Motoko which seems to make some people butthurt cause they rather enjoy the unknown aspects of her life via the films

By the way that episode still gets me in the feels. Especially the reveal about the little boy that was in the bed next to her at the hospital. Shed manly tears when I saw it the first time. Also the Tachikoma episode where it and the little girl go looking for a lost pet makes me tear up like a bitch. GITS - still a Hall of Fame series after a decade.

I remember that episode. They try to convince the boy to get a prosthetic body too, and have her come in. And since she can't fold origami swans with it he (appears) to refuse. Since he is folding swans for the little girl he believes died (who is actually Motoko). I think in a later episode it turns out he did indeed get a body and shows up later. This is also supposedly what drove her to master the body so well.

And yes, that's a back story of sorts. But even then, she is special only in that she has been full prosthetic since childhood and as such is way more skilled than most. But, there is no conspiracy or secret program. Which is hinted at in the trailer (though, it might just be bullshit or a red herring). Still a lot unknown.

As far as the movie goes though, I'm trying to keep SAC and the books and the movie all separate, though I admit its been awhile so I might be confusing them some. Still. Doesn't change the fact that throughout all the series many many people are prosthetic. Even full prosthetic, and even people that aren't in human like bodies. (No, no furries). Her prosthetics aren't what made her special.

A lot of this is just me being reactionary, and I'll admit it. But with the current trend of a lot of films and the need to explain everything, have backstories etc I see these little tidbits in the trailer and they make me cringe horribly. Add in a healthy dose of apprehension that instead of allowing a director or script writer to be 'visionary' the studios will push for a 'all inclusive' movie to recoup the biggest return on their investment and well. I harbour concerns :)

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The TV series does a terrific job touching on on the prosthetic issues, mostly in subtle ways.

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
Whoa whoa whoa. Back that shit up one sec. The dub for GITS is awesome. Mary McGlynn as Motoko is one of the best dubs of all time. Batou (Richard Epcar) and Togusa (Crispin Freeman) were spot on. I got a chance to meet Mary McGlynn and that voice is the sexiest shit ever.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I was going to point out the irony in complaining about dubfags in the thread for the live action American adaption, but Patrick's points are just as valid.

• 1Like

Cybsled

I remember that episode. They try to convince the boy to get a prosthetic body too, and have her come in. And since she can't fold origami swans with it he (appears) to refuse. Since he is folding swans for the little girl he believes died (who is actually Motoko). I think in a later episode it turns out he did indeed get a body and shows up later. This is also supposedly what drove her to master the body so well.

And yes, that's a back story of sorts. But even then, she is special only in that she has been full prosthetic since childhood and as such is way more skilled than most. But, there is no conspiracy or secret program. Which is hinted at in the trailer (though, it might just be bullshit or a red herring). Still a lot unknown.

As far as the movie goes though, I'm trying to keep SAC and the books and the movie all separate, though I admit its been awhile so I might be confusing them some. Still. Doesn't change the fact that throughout all the series many many people are prosthetic. Even full prosthetic, and even people that aren't in human like bodies. (No, no furries). Her prosthetics aren't what made her special.

A lot of this is just me being reactionary, and I'll admit it. But with the current trend of a lot of films and the need to explain everything, have backstories etc I see these little tidbits in the trailer and they make me cringe horribly. Add in a healthy dose of apprehension that instead of allowing a director or script writer to be 'visionary' the studios will push for a 'all inclusive' movie to recoup the biggest return on their investment and well. I harbour concerns :)

Trailers can be very misleading, especially since we have no context for the conversation. We don't even know if the Major is actually talking to the woman who says that line in that scene. Major was special in the anime, so her being special in the film isn't exactly a big scandal.