Ghost

Ikkan

Molten Core Raider
There's only one Ghost I'm interested in.

scg.jpg

• 6Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Already lol worthy decisions. Pvp islands and PvE survival islands. Can we please let the survival genre die? I don't want to build some gay looking base that exploits dumb AI, I just want to slay dragons and get phat loot.

• 9Like
Reactions: 8 users

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
They are doing a live stream right now talking about the game. *Edit* Replaced the Twitch livestream link with a youtube vod of the talk.

Last edited:

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Perhaps the Riot MMO was going nowhere but this game concept is made of red flags.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Surely net-ease wrote Ghostcrawler a blank check and told him do whatever you want purely out of respect and friendship

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

krismunich

<Silver Donator>
Lot of "we want" and not a single "we have". Star Citizen will come out before this but I wish them good luck. Also PvP will suck bc Ashran boi.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Lot of "we want" and not a single "we have". Star Citizen will come out before this but I wish them good luck. Also PvP will suck bc Ashran boi.
I was going to make this exact claim but then decided to be reasonable. They can always delay SC to grift yet another year

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
When it enters beta and a few months from release, I may start to care. I'm tired of these games being announced so early with nothing to show for it.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So I put that stream on in the background and they had some pretty decent answers to very pointed questions.

But the whole thing had a veneer of "we'll do whatever you pay us" cringe. They talk like they have a plan but they don't even have a core setting fleshed out besides the floating islands trope.

I get the distinct feeling this is a project that they hope to figure out requirements as they go. Maybe they could create a game this way, but as far as RPGs go this seems like just watching them write fanfic. There's just something about the creative process that makes it very difficult to care about concepts and general process, there's an artificial quality about starting from the point where "everything is on the table."

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Just my hair brained theory after watching that shit - Greg Street and his little clique designed their vision of the Riot MMO based off of Roblox. The people in charge of Riot didnt like this idea for whatever reason. Possibly just the idea of giving players too much freedom? Not structured enough? Doesnt fit the League of Legends Universe? Who knows. Greg Street disagreed, adamantly, and thought that his idea, "The Islands," was the next big thing, and Riot either gave him an ultimatum to stick to their vision or leave and pursue his own. Greg Street having an intimate knowledge of how Riot is pursuing their MMO made it easy for him to broker a deal with Netease, and promised them the riches of Roblox. Greg Street looks like he is purely driven by greed and possibly a desire to be the next Bobby Kotick out of this whole interview. The only part he and his team have to fill in, at this point, is the Universe that all of this will be built off of. Which is probably the "vision" you guys are talking about - cause I feel like he has the design down pat. Without a franchise as popular as League of Legends, though, I am unsure how they plan to get it in front of a larger audience. Especially when it comes time to monetize it and Netease shines through.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Just my hair brained theory after watching that shit - Greg Street and his little clique designed their vision of the Riot MMO based off of Roblox. The people in charge of Riot didnt like this idea for whatever reason. Possibly just the idea of giving players too much freedom? Not structured enough? Doesnt fit the League of Legends Universe? Who knows. Greg Street disagreed, adamantly, and thought that his idea, "The Islands," was the next big thing, and Riot either gave him an ultimatum to stick to their vision or leave and pursue his own. Greg Street having an intimate knowledge of how Riot is pursuing their MMO made it easy for him to broker a deal with Netease, and promised them the riches of Roblox. Greg Street looks like he is purely driven by greed and possibly a desire to be the next Bobby Kotick out of this whole interview. The only part he and his team have to fill in, at this point, is the Universe that all of this will be built off of. Which is probably the "vision" you guys are talking about - cause I feel like he has the design down pat. Without a franchise as popular as League of Legends, though, I am unsure how they plan to get it in front of a larger audience. Especially when it comes time to monetize it and Netease shines through.

It seems reasonable that whatever vision for the Riot game GC had it didn't align with future directions and that's the reason he left. I mean that isn't the case if you simply take him at his word but any company is going to buy off leaving people at that level to keep good will in tact during a transition. It seems to me he is more committed to his vision, whatever that is, at any cost here. So he likes certain systems and concepts, but doesn't really give a shit about the story 'wait you guys want elves or some shit? sure buy our stuff' so to that end I do feel like 'islands' are the thing he is desperately attached to as a game concept and the rest is just window dressing.

Also the concept of procedural content (whether they be islands or dungeons) isn't bad necessarily, but it's kind of an oddly generic thing to anchor your entire game to. Most of the time you have some sort of setting that includes lore/characters/deities/magic/etc. and sure land is part of that but it's not really enough to get anyone excited. If you say hey our MMO is going to have these cool blood mages and look at this awesome attack, people can get excited off of just simple gameplay concepts. Saying hey guys we have floating islands just like every Asian MMO is pretty uninspiring.

I think it was a mistake to not do another 3-6 months to get concept stuff nailed down to define the world and get people excited with concept art.