Ghostbusters (2016)

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Hollywood is guided by money above all other concerns, when you peel away all the agenda bullshit. They will take a look at films that brought in money (Mad Max, Deadpool, Guardians, ect) and imitate that shit. Hell, those three movies all had strong female characters to boot. Feig will likely get one more crack at something, but it will be going back to the well with something simple like Bridesmaids, because he is an insider. The idiots at Sony who greenlighted this man hating shit will likely fail up or get canned.

Szlia

I'll excuse you on this since you don't live in the U.S but that gender shit was in every fucking article, review, interview etc. It was brought up non stop. It was part of the advertising.
When you do a family action comedy blockbuster a huge portion of the audience does not read reviews. With social media these days though it's possible that I was low-balling it with my 20% guesstimation. That's why it would be interesting to have an actual survey: to not guesstimate!

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
With Star Trek, Jason Bourne and new Ice Age coming this week, this movie will go from #2 to #12 in a week.

HUH_sl

shitlord

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Watched the RLM review. Had never seen a picture/video of Paul Feig.

Feiggot is apt. Continue.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
So many caveats. First time I've seen someone reference demographics for Cinemascore.

Ghostbusters breaks records with the largest opening weekend of all time*

*for a live action comedy, directed by Paul Feig, staring Kristen Wiig, featuring ghosts, released during the third week of July 2016.
Huh, indeed. I've definitely seen that multiple times before, especially when there's an expected skew or notable skew. I'm sure there's a lot of self selection with this film, but guys didn't hate it. Kids like it and that's probably why a sequel will happen, for better or worse (and why I predict the second week drop won't be terrible). Doubtful they give up on it yet.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
If it doesn't double it's money it's probably not going to get a sequel. If it does it will probably be another reboot.

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
If it doesn't double it's money it's probably not going to get a sequel. If it does it will probably be another reboot.
I look forward to the next Ghostbusters with an all black transgendered cast where we find out that all the ghosts are actually the restless spirits of innocent unarmed black men murdered by police. Obama makes a special guest appearance weeping in front of all his sons graves.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
heh so the 144 production cost isfucking net, not total cost. that's after tax breaks and rebates.

You remember that shitty CGI craptacular Gods of Egypt? That cost 150 mil to make, but they had 140mil in foreign presales, tax breaks and rebates, so thanks to hollywood voodoo accounting only cost 10mil dollars to make so they made money even though it bombed?

So yeah this movie cost 144 mil after all that shit, (edit) it actually cost 154 mil in real dollars, and sony only pulls in about 55% of domestic box office receipts on films like this so yeah, this movie needs to break 300-350mil domestic to break even.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I saw it with my wife and one of her friends this past weekend.

Didn't watch any previews, just heard bits and piece about all the controversy. So I went into it without any expectations beside not having any illusion that it would be anywhere near as good as the originals, which I haven't seen in their entirety in over 10 years I'd say.

Socio-political fervor aside, it was far from the worst thing I've ever seen, but I wouldn't call it good. 50% - 60% seems about right.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I saw it with my wife and one of her friends this past weekend.

Didn't watch any previews, just heard bits and piece about all the controversy. So I went into it without any expectations beside not having any illusion that it would be anywhere near as good as the originals, which I haven't seen in their entirety in over 10 years I'd say.

Socio-political fervor aside, it was far from the worst thing I've ever seen, but I wouldn't call it good. 50% - 60% seems about right.
That's about what I would expect. Not terrible but definitely not worth going to the theater for.

They could have rebooted it into something awesome though that they could market as a real franchise with all sorts of merchandising and promotional deals, but instead they went SJW with it

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
DrUu6DC.jpg

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
My guess is some accountant somewhere in Hollywood had this movie projected at 500 million. Enough to pay for the cost of making it and the cost of the next one as well.
I'm guessing Sony was always willing to take a little bit of a loss on this movie. While $500 million obviously isn't unheard of for a movie, it is a particularly difficult climb for a non-family comedy. Over the past decade, the highest grossing PG-13 or R comedy I could find wasTedin 2012 with around $550 million globally - and that's the only one I could find that made over $500 million. The highest grossing comedies in other years (eg 22 Jump Street, The Heat) typically come in more between $200 and $300 million.

However, Ghostbusters wasn't just about selling a movie, but creating a new franchise. That's why they've invested more heavily in advertising than any other comedy I've seen in recent years. They started talking about a Ghostbusters cinematic universe after this one was barely even off the ground. If they had to take a loss on this movie but it allows them to create something they can milk on a yearly basis, it isn't a bad trade-off. The question, though, is how much of a loss they're willing to take before they go back to the drawing board. But, now that they wrested control from Ivan Reitman, another Ghostbusters movie is inevitable given how desperate Sony is to create a cinematic universe. It just remains to be seen if it'll be these Ghostbusters again (I'd be really curious to know how many movies the actresses had to commit to).