Ghostbusters (2016)

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Yeah, Astro is a retard that knows nothing about the way the box office works, so he can be easily ignored. The mid week numbers alone are evidence it's not going to have an 80% weekend drop.

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
It's up on stream sites, wasn't really funny just a couple scenes to laugh at, lots of boring cliche jokes, which I blame the terrible writing for this mess.

Patty decides on her own that she wants to join the group after their encounter with a ghost in the subway, then on the first job she's like "I thought it would be like a book club, play some stevie nicks, I don't understand how I get wrapped up in this, I had a good job.".... you volunteered for it.... then you're complaining like you were forced into it.

Should have just went with it as a sequel instead of forcing a complete reboot.

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
$6.2 million estimate for Friday, seems unlikely to break $20M for the 2nd weekend but avoided a Batman v Superman drop.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Wasn't there supposed to be an all male remake of ghostbusters and then the female one was announced as in tandem whatever happend to that one?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Wasn't there supposed to be an all male remake of ghostbusters and then the female one was announced as in tandem whatever happend to that one?
thats still a go according to some sony ceo. though i think its just positive spin so as not to spook any box office revenue. they probaby wont admit this was a flop til a few weeks from now when it gets tossed out of the theater. the next movie is supposed to be a different crew and they do different stuff, then they face zule by the end and the trilogy has team A and team B link up to battle zule, or gozer or whatever fuck .

khalid

Unelected Mod
http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmen.../#8e61fa43ecd1

Sony's Ghostbusters took a tumble on its second weekend. The $144 million comedy earned $21.6m (-53%) to give it a new $86.8m ten-day cume. That's a sharp fall for a comedy, and dreams of a 3.8-4x multiplier are now out the window.It's about on par with Pixels and The Boss.So now it's a question of which of those two precedents matches up. It's still looking like a cume of $135m-$150m by the time it's done.

DickTrickle

11 off your average, don't just take the high end. Thats almost double your uneducated estimate. That's an awful guess in any field.

No one said it was a hit. The point is only someone ignorant of box office behavior thought it would drop 80%. And you were so confident!

khalid

Unelected Mod
Anyway, its clear that its not just not a hit at this point, but that it most likely won't even break even.

Malakriss

They'll make money on merchandising, but it's a question of would that continue with any sequels if the quality just isn't there.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
11 off your average, don't just take the high end. Thats almost double your uneducated estimate. That's an awful guess in any field.

No one said it was a hit. The point is only someone ignorant of box office behavior thought it would drop 80%. And you were so confident!
i did say 10 mill give or take 2mil. i threw in ten as a rough estimate and hedged my bet around 2 more or less. 21m is fucking terrible. more than a 50% drop from its underperforming opening. its literally pixels 2.0. congratulations. btw pixels was a better movie and it didnt shit on a beloved IP.

DickTrickle

i did say 10 mill give or take 2mil. i threw in ten as a rough estimate and hedged my bet around 2 more or less. 21m is fucking terrible. more than a 50% drop from its underperforming opening. its literally pixels 2.0. congratulations. btw pixels was a better movie and it didnt shit on a beloved IP.
Yeah and I'm saying when you give a range I'll compare the average, not the max.

No one is saying this film is successful. I am saying you're an idiot with your predictions and analysis. I assume you don't follow the box office much and it's fine to be ignorant but it's stupid to be ignorant and confident. It's opening was underwhelming, though not unexpected. A 53% drop for a tentpole film that is not a cartoon is not abnormal at all (in fact, I was thinking it would fall closer to 60%). Avengers 2: 59, Winter Soldier: 57%, Iron Man 3: 58%, GoG: 55%, Deadpool: 57%, Thor2: 57%, Xmen Apocalypse: 65%, XMen FC: 56%, FF2: 65%, FF Reboot: 68%, Godzilla: 67%, ID2: 59%, TMNT Reboot: 57%, TMNT2: 59%. I could list endless examples, but any film that gets this much marketing push is almost always destined for a big second weekend drop, regardless of its reception or launch size.

Also, Pixels made $78M in the US total. Ghostbusters has made $86M so far and will end up at $130-140M. It's not "literally" Pixels 2.0.

Malakriss

Meanwhile, Ice Age 57 made only $21M it's opening weekend (but $179M foreign) on a $105M budget. Ghostbusters should have dumped $50M of crappy CGI and gotten a better writer/director and it could have made so much more solely on the franchise name.

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yeah and I'm saying when you give a range I'll compare the average, not the max.

No one is saying this film is successful. I am saying you're an idiot with your predictions and analysis. I assume you don't follow the box office much and it's fine to be ignorant but it's stupid to be ignorant and confident. It's opening was underwhelming, though not unexpected. A 53% drop for a tentpole film that is not a cartoon is not abnormal at all (in fact, I was thinking it would fall closer to 60%). Avengers 2: 59, Winter Soldier: 57%, Iron Man 3: 58%, GoG: 55%, Deadpool: 57%, Thor2: 57%, Xmen Apocalypse: 65%, XMen FC: 56%, FF2: 65%, FF Reboot: 68%, Godzilla: 67%, ID2: 59%, TMNT Reboot: 57%, TMNT2: 59%. I could list endless examples, but any film that gets this much marketing push is almost always destined for a big second weekend drop, regardless of its reception or launch size.

Also, Pixels made $78M in the US total. Ghostbusters has made $86M so far and will end up at $130-140M. It's not "literally" Pixels 2.0.
Pixels total box office is listed as 244 million. Ghostbusters is listed as 74 million.

Pixels also only cost 88 million to make compared to 144 million for Ghostbusters.

lastly Pixels was considered a huge flop sending Adam Sandler packing to Netflix to make non theatrical movies,

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
either way, i dont see this getting a sequel. i still cant believe they actually expected to start a marvel style cinematic universe with a movie marketed against the same people who made the marvel cinematic universe a thing. should have thrown this to michael bay who would have just got a bunch of hot chicks in tight outfits busting ghosts and blowing shit up in actual manhattan instead of the bostonhattan they tried to pass off in this film.